• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012 edited
    Saw last night, in glorious 2D...

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (Peter Jackson) ****

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite its flaws. And to all those underwhelmed by the album presentation of the score, please, go see the film. It works perfectly with better thematic development of the new themes especially in the climax some great pieces that are not on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    some great pieces that are not on the album.

Please don't tell me there is more score that is not in the special edition sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012 edited
    I do. There's LOTS more, even. They're mainly variations on themes that are on it, and in the climax a great variation on the A Knife in the Dark theme from Fellowship (it's in the film inbetween Out of the Frying Pan and A Good Omen), followed by a great choral part that's also not on the album, but it helps develop the thematic identity.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012
    Please don't tell me there is more score that is not in the special edition sad

There was apparently a bunch of last-minute scoring, especially for the climax. For instance, "A Good Omen" was completely rescored in the movie.

(Sadly, as that's my favorite cue.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012 edited
    I prefer the film version, actually. And I understand why, since this part surely was retooled the most to serve as a fitting ending once they decided to make three movies out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    ... followed by a great choral part that's also not on the album, but it helps develop the thematic identity.

Yes! It's terrible that this is not in the score. It's a superb variation of a theme in Return of the King. There wasn't much Gollem music on it either, right? Or did I miss it in between the 70 other tracks?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    And the score rocks!

listened to the score yesterday, I thought it was sooooooo average. Completely the same as any other Tyler action score. even the action tracks started to irritate me

seriously, you fancy this over Waterworld? face-palm-mt

I don't think D ever said that. It was more dismay over someone else saying that Waterworld was JNH's best score.

As for the Expendables 2 score, I thought it was okay....at least what I noticed of it.

Exactly, it's not nice to pull words out of your ass and put them in other people's mouths wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    And the score rocks!

listened to the score yesterday, I thought it was sooooooo average. Completely the same as any other Tyler action score. even the action tracks started to irritate me

seriously, you fancy this over Waterworld? face-palm-mt

I don't think D ever said that. It was more dismay over someone else saying that Waterworld was JNH's best score.

As for the Expendables 2 score, I thought it was okay....at least what I noticed of it.

Exactly, it's not nice to pull words out of your ass and put them in other people's mouths wink

you said, you don't like Waterworld and you think The Expendables 2 rocks

I read that: you fancy The Expendables over Waterworld.
    Still pulling things out of asses? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What does Expandables has to do with Waterworld? As i said, and we tire this point now, i objected to the notion that Waterworld is JNH's better score; when he's written gems like Signs or Village, i cannot agree with that personally. Now, expandables is completely unrelated to Waterworld or anything to do with JNH in particular.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We apologise for this loss in transmition, normal viewing will be resumed as soon as possible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BobdH wrote
    I prefer the film version, actually. And I understand why, since this part surely was retooled the most to serve as a fitting ending once they decided to make three movies out of it.

Great, I thought when they released a 2CD Special Edition that was almost as long as the film runtime that I wouldn't have to get yet ANOTHER version of the score later on... this makes the lack of a normal 1 disc highlights release even stupider. crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Demetris wrote
    What does Expandables has to do with Waterworld? As i said, and we tire this point now, i objected to the notion that Waterworld is JNH's better score; when he's written gems like Signs or Village, i cannot agree with that personally. Now, expandables is completely unrelated to Waterworld or anything to do with JNH in particular.

I think you're missing the point. I'm simply pointing out that you rather prefer (in my ears at least) unoriginal action stuff from Tyler than a masterful epic score (in my ears again) like Waterworld. I wasn't commenting on JNH, nor on Tyler. It's a simple comparison where one enjoys a score more than the other, even if it's not by the same composer

for goodness sake, we do it all the time. dizzy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote
    ... followed by a great choral part that's also not on the album, but it helps develop the thematic identity.

Yes! It's terrible that this is not in the score. It's a superb variation of a theme in Return of the King. There wasn't much Gollem music on it either, right? Or did I miss it in between the 70 other tracks?

Actually, the Gollum material IS on the release, with the track "Riddles in the Dark". Although not in the film version, it seems - the film has Gollums theme first, and then the Seduction of the Ring theme, whereas on album it's the other way around. But the track does have the familiar Gollum theme on dulcimer. Of course, this is the only track with Gollum's theme, since it's his only scene.

I really need to listen to the whole (special edition) album again now that I've seen the film, to make out what is on there and what is missing or different. I'll see the film again next week, now in 3D HFR, so I can double check.
  3. Watched another poor movie (actually, skimmed through) called "Cry Blood, Apache".

A group of gold prospectors are partying with a small group of indians, while on their search, when they get rowdy and one steps o na pot and crishes it, revealing gold. They get violent upon finding the gold and a fight ensuesand they kill all the indians except one woman.

One of them, however, doesn't take part and protects the woman, unknown to the others, as they use her to find where the gold was taken from.

All the while an indian hunter who came upon the scene and found the salughtered indians, including one woman holding a baby, tracks them.

The film had it's good and bad elements, but as a whole I just found this poor. At the end it seemed to be nothing more than the indian killing them in horrible ways, like a rattlesnakc in a sack put over the head of one of them,, and trying to fool the rest about the misleading.

One of the bad guys carried a bible and quoted it and tried speakign to God; in the end it was very sour as this seemed like nothing more than an attempt to paint religious people as stupid folk who do anything in the name of God.

And in the end, when the indian comes upon the good guy and the squaw, you'd expect common sense, like the squaw speaking up and telling him the white man saved her life and that he was a good guy, right? No, she stands there and watches the knife fight. Then she picks up and loads a shot gun. At that point you might expect a surprise reversal and that in the end, she might shoot the white man dead, for after all, good though his intentions may be, he was part of the bad guys and a member of her slaughtered group was there to save her. No, she shot the indian dead for this false sense of love for the white guy which was never fully earned and didn't pay off as a result.

One fucked up piece of bullhockey.

And Elliot Kaplan's orchestral score was only a few notches up from the bland and boring efforts Leon Klatzkin gave consistantly on "Gunsmoke".

Thank goodness I skimmed through the long, almost painfully long, out-drawn sequences. What a waste of time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Saw two Cannes favourites yesterday: Michael Haneke's AMOUR and Leos Karax' HOLY MOTORS. The former was a typically intense and sociological essay like Haneke does so well -- all set within one apartment, CARNAGE-style. It wasn't quite as 'edgy' as his previous films, though. More like Haneke's STRAIGHT STORY, if you will. HOLY MOTORS was a totally fascinating experience, but at times so weird I just had to laugh -- especially the ending.

franz, have you seen either of these?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I haven't actually. Unfortunately I was travelling when HOLY MOTORS had its brief Sydney release, and I don't think AMOUR has had a release yet (but doubtless will in the new year). I didn't go out of my way to see them at the last film festival they were at here, as I assumed they would eventually receive distribution.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    One more day to Life of Pi!
    Don't know when I will see it... Hobbits first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012
    You will love Hobbit
  5. Wait a second - weren't you going on about what a load of commercial nonsense the hobbit was a few days ago? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited
    Demetris. The new Jordi. :P

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. A lot passes by unconnected here it this reversal of opinion simply can't pass without comment. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Wait a second - weren't you going on about what a load of commercial nonsense the hobbit was a few days ago? wink

Where did i say that? I said it was obvious that stretching 1 book into 3 films is also done for the moneyses, but i never said it was 'commercial nonesense'. You're making it all up. Plus, where did i ever suggest that a film that makes money can't be a good film? It was loads of fun, the essense of big hollywood fantasy blockbusters and of course they're going to make a shitload of money out of it!

As for the score, i also never said i didn't like THE HOBBIT; you only assumed. If you go back and re-read what i wrote, i tried to repeat several times that i did in fact like it, but it's not at the level of lotr, nor he'll ever reach those, imo. But you seem to understand that i suggested that Shore sucks wink oh well. I'm off work a 10-day vacation with my dear wife, a well-deserved one after finally graduating from the Master's degree (and now what?). It'll be much-better than hanging out with you dicks here on Christmas! beer moon kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012
    Congrats on finishing the master's degree, Demetris! Save the worries about jobs untill after the deserved Christmas holiday, at least. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Congratulations indeed! Have a good time! smile beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Congratulations Demetris. Enjoy your holiday.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ow yeah! punk champagne

Enjoy that well-deserved break and see you soon! wave
    Kazoo
  9. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Wait a second - weren't you going on about what a load of commercial nonsense the hobbit was a few days ago? wink

Where did i say that? I said it was obvious that stretching 1 book into 3 films is also done for the moneyses, but i never said it was 'commercial nonesense'. You're making it all up. Plus, where did i ever suggest that a film that makes money can't be a good film? It was loads of fun, the essense of big hollywood fantasy blockbusters and of course they're going to make a shitload of money out of it!

It looked like you were very cynical about the film in other posts -- I clearly misunderstood what that cynicism referred to. Anyway, I was only poking fun -- didn't mean to strike a nerve, which I gather I have.

As for the score, i also never said i didn't like THE HOBBIT; you only assumed.

Actually that makes two of us who never you said you didn't like THE HOBBIT. I'm the one who doesn't particularly like it. wink There were more voices than mine in that other thread, and I was just somewhere in the middleground. Not even sure why we're still talking about it since none of our opinions on these subjects matters anyway.

I'm off work a 10-day vacation with my dear wife, a well-deserved one after finally graduating from the Master's degree (and now what?). It'll be much-better than hanging out with you dicks here on Christmas! beer moon kiss

Have a good time. Listen to some good music! (And if it be The Hobbit, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.) wink
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    A lot passes by unconnected here it this reversal of opinion simply can't pass without comment. :D

Damn that iphone predictive text. Not even I can figure out what I thought I was saying here. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have fun D wave punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Yesterday night I saw the first two episodes of

"Downtown Abbey"

that startet airing on German PBS. I'm not so much into this kind of productions but I like this series quite a bit. Great cast, exelent dialogues, excelent production design, interisting story, if not too original.

I also liked the score by John Lunn whom I've never heard of before. I will now investigate.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.