• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    MovieScore Media presents

THE RED CANVAS
    Music Composed by
    JAMES PETERSON

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/redcanvas.html

CD distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12973

Download album in 320kbit mp3 format here:
    http://www.payloadz.com/go?id=1158862

Download album on iTunes here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

• WINNER OF 'BEST FEATURE SOUNDTRACK' AWARD AT THE ACTION ON FILM INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
    • NOMINATED FOR THE JERRY GOLDSMITH AWARD AT THE V INTERNATIONAL FILM MUSIC FESTIVAL, UBEDA, SPAIN

"Strong, implacable, apocalyptic... lyrical melodies of great beauty... epic, almost operistic." - Mundo BSO

Already nominated for the Jerry Goldsmith Award at the V International Film Music Festival in Ùbeda, Spain, and the winner of the award for 'Best Feature Soundtrack' at the Action on Film International Film Festival, James Peterson's score for The Red Canvas will blow fans of big, orchestral movie music away!

A rarity in modern film music, this is a score that is inspired by the legendary Miklós Rózsa – Peterson masterfully writes very maturely for orchestra, with beautiful motifs, themes and counterpoint! Written for large orchestra with an emphasis on brass (eight french horns, six trombones, four trumpets, two tuba) and a large string section (60 pieces), the music is definitely a musical adrenaline fest (the +11 minute 'Ballet for Brawlers' is atosnishing) - but the score never loses its focus on emotion.

As a bonus, this CD (which is over 66 minutes in duration) features Peterson's eight part concert work 'Moving Images Suite', a delightful orchestral ode to film music. Enjoy!

Track titles:
    1 Out of the Darkness 1.56
    2 Awaiting the News 2.22
    3 Death and Resurrection I 3.41
    4 A Great Fighter 2.01
    5 Jazz Café 1.43
    6 Johnny Likes Extortion 0.27
    7 The Attic 1.30
    8 Grease Monkey Prelude 1.44
    9 Grease Monkey Brawl 3.01
    10 Maria Cries 1.37
    11 Calling All Gladiators 1.08
    12 The Meeting 1.32
    13 Death and Resurrection II 3.28
    14 Bills and Tears 1.27
    15 Jungle Rumble 1.36
    16 Prayer 1.09
    17 A Not-So-Conjugal Visit 2.50
    18 Ballet for Brawlers 11.29
    Moving Images Suite (bonus)
    19 Moving Images Fanfare 0.31
    20 The Sorcerer 1.56
    21 Americana 3.35
    22 A Quirky Machine 2.46
    23 Moonlit Desert Chase 2.32
    24 Pastorale 4.35
    25 Transylvania: 1955 2.56
    26 Epilogue 1.54
  1. Mikael, listening to this CD at the moment and it's another solid release.

But, there's something about the sound - at first I thought that it was just mastered(?) on the quiet side. But then I wondered if it was that the orchestra just doesn't sound very "spread". Is it just me or was there a specific sound required for this score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    These were the mixes that were available and I actually made the same observation as you - we did our best to make it sound "wider" in the mastering process.

mc
  2. Cheers for the information, Mikael. I chose to up the sound levels on the mp3s to give it a bit more "umph".

Having listened to it, it's a great score. As you mention in the blurb the 11+ minute "Ballet For Brawlers" is awesome.

Well done!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    My thoughts on this brilliant score.
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_28

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I started the thread for the composer a week or so ago, but was very disappointed it didn't get attention. In fact, the attention this score is getting is way too low, I think.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yet another to explore
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Hey guys,

just wanted to say "hello." Recently discovered this forum and wanted to introduce myself. Thanks to everyone for all your great comments. Appreciate it.

All best,
    James Peterson
    composer The Red Canvas
  5. Welcome James, and congratulations on such fine work. It's great to hear a score like yours for this film, and it has sparked a curiosity in the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    James, welcome aboard! Such a nice thing to have new gifted members here, don't get Lost, contribute! beer smile
  6. just to let you know, this baby is next in line for review, because honestly

It's goddamn terrific shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    punk
    Kazoo
  7. honestly, it's goddamn amazing shocked
  8. IF YOU MUST READ ONE REVIEW ON THIS SITE, I URGE YOU MAKE IT THIS ONE

Welcome to the best of the year

- The Red Canvas

James, THANK YOU kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Hey. A track list. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Martijn wrote
    Hey. A track list. dizzy

read the bloody review Martijn wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Hm.
    That's two out of three in favour so far (me being the odd one out).
    I feel my determination erode. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    Wow! Just heard the 'Ballet for Brawlers' from The Red Canvas at SST and love it! It sounds like a modern day Rozsa with lot more ferocity. I have to buy this.

I only wish MSM cds were a little cheaper.
  10. Hello Everyone, Checking in again. Thanks so much to all of you for your support of my score for The Red Canvas. As you know I am a new composer on the scene and The Red Canvas is my debut feature score. It is helpful to me when you spread the word about my music if you like it... so thank you for that. The more people who know me and my work increases the chances that there will be more of it soon. Also if any of you are in contact with producers and directors who might benefit from one of my scores let them know about me! : ) punk

I do have another CD coming out January 19th 2010 from world music label Lyrichord It is called "When the Rivers Met," and it is a compilation of scores of Middle Eastern Music I wrote for a couple of documentary films along with AJ Racy. TOTALLY different thing from Red Canvas. It is western orchestra that I wrote and orchestrated mixed with Middle Eastern music and amazing instrumental performances by AJ Racy on Nay, Ud, Buzuq and Kawala flute.

It will be available on Amazon January 19th:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Rivers-Racy- … amp;sr=8-2
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Middle Eastern music, my favourite sub-genre, certainly looking forward to that. James, keep up the good work and i am sure things will turn out very, very good for you. You show great premise in your debut feature score, a very impressive work overall. Thanks for tuning in with us! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Peterson wrote
    Hello Everyone, Checking in again. Thanks so much to all of you for your support of my score for The Red Canvas. As you know I am a new composer on the scene and The Red Canvas is my debut feature score. It is helpful to me when you spread the word about my music if you like it... so thank you for that. The more people who know me and my work increases the chances that there will be more of it soon. Also if any of you are in contact with producers and directors who might benefit from one of my scores let them know about me! : ) punk

I do have another CD coming out January 19th 2010 from world music label Lyrichord It is called "When the Rivers Met," and it is a compilation of scores of Middle Eastern Music I wrote for a couple of documentary films along with AJ Racy. TOTALLY different thing from Red Canvas. It is western orchestra that I wrote and orchestrated mixed with Middle Eastern music and amazing instrumental performances by AJ Racy on Nay, Ud, Buzuq and Kawala flute.

It will be available on Amazon January 19th:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Rivers-Racy- … amp;sr=8-2

Do have any clips we can listen to of this James?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. James looking forward to it, sometimes going completely differently after such a giant piece of work isn't the bad way to go smile

keep up the good work man
  12. To have an actual composer on our humble forum is great !! wave

So James, tell us a little about who you grew up on, your favorite scores, composers, anything that might interest us.

Just so you know I've ordered 'The Red Canvas' after hearing it once, so that might tell you what my opinion of it is. I will be playing loud when it arrives, because it's one of those that are meant to be played loud. punk

Keep it up, and you're always welcome here. Cheers.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    To have an actual composer on our humble forum is great !! wave

So James, tell us a little about who you grew up on, your favorite scores, composers, anything that might interest us.

Just so you know I've ordered 'The Red Canvas' after hearing it once, so that might tell you what my opinion of it is. I will be playing loud when it arrives, because it's one of those that are meant to be played loud. punk

Keep it up, and you're always welcome here. Cheers.

you twit, you bought it because I totally demanded you needed to have it tongue
    and yes, this score needs to be played loud, because it's totally awesome
  14. crazy Well double dumb twit on you. crazy

Sorry I watched Star Trek IV again yesterday.

No harm in telling that his score is appreciated by at least one more person. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  15. DreamTheater wrote
    crazy Well double dumb twit on you. crazy

Sorry I watched Star Trek IV again yesterday.

No harm in telling that his score is appreciated by at least one more person. cheesy

I'm sure once you've heard it a couple of times more, you'll worship it as the best surprising score of the year
  16. @Dreamtheater, YES, YOU MUST PLAY RED CANVAS LOUD!!!!!!!!!! spin

I think my all time favorite score is Jaws (if I HAD to pick one..nearly impossible)

I grew up on: Patton, Planet of the Apes, The Omen, Boys from Brazil, Poltergeist, Star Wars, Empire, Close Encounters, Raiders, Silverado, Basic Instinct, The English Patient and many more.

My favorite film composers are: John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Morricone, Alex North, Miklos Rozsa, David Amram, Bruce Broughton, Gabriel Yared

These guys are my musical heroes.

I also really love 20th century classical music.

James
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Hehe. We really do have the same taste in music, James. smile

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    James, if you're still hanging around, I have a question: Red Canvas very clearly takes some inspiration from the great Golden Age ones (Rozsa has been mentioned, and I tend to agree that I hear some echoes there. Which, incidentally -as a great Rozsa lover- I really appreciate. cool ). And as such it succeeds exceptionally well in evoking that style and grandeur that is so seldom heard in scoring these days.
    I happen to love it, so I was quite happily surprised by it.

However I was wondering whether the choice was made intentionally to NOT go with a clear, recognisable theme "to hang you coat on"(so to speak), i.e. a theme that binds the score together, like Rozsa (and so many of other Golden Age greats) so often did?

I'm properly intrigued as to me the score seems to clamor for an Ivanhoe/El Cid/Knights Of The Round Table -esque bold, uniting theme.