• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    For some reason, it amuses me to keep track of how many albums I have for each of my best-liked composers. It's not particularly telling as far as how good the composers actually are, because for example half my Zimmer scores are worse than most of the scores for which I only have one or two per composer. Quantity does not equal quality and all that. Nevertheless, I still find it interesting to see which composers I am collecting. So here is my list. I would be interested in seeing other people's if your media player is able to display this statistic and/or you are willing to count them smile

(note that occasionally the same score will count as multiple albums, for example I have the original CD release of Phantom Menace as well as the Ultimate Edition)

to clarify:
    I am talking about albums, however you would like to count albums. If you only own physical CDs, then you could simply count the number of physical jewelcases per composer. If, like me, your collection is entirely digital, your media player probably organizes your CDs by artist and album, and in that case we are counting albums for each artist. There will occasionally be duplicates, as I mentioned with the Star Wars example, but I doubt there will be many situations where there will be more than two albums per score. But yes, we are not counting scores, we are counting albums.

multi-CD set from same release = 1 album
    different recordings of the same score = multiple albums
    multiple releases of the same score (with different content) = multiple albums
    commercial release + bootleg = multiple albums

1) Hans Zimmer - 55 albums
    2) John Williams - 39 albums
    3) James Horner - 30 albums
    John Powell - 30 albums
    5) James Newton Howard - 29 albums
    6) Harry Gregson-Williams - 24 albums
    7) Jerry Goldsmith - 21 albums
    8) Michael Giacchino - 20 albums
    9) Patrick Doyle - 14 albums
    Trevor Rabin - 14 albums
    11) Basil Poledouris - 13 albums
    Brian Tyler - 13 albums
    Mark Mancina - 13 albums
    14) Danny Elfman - 12 albums
    15) Alan Silvestri - 11 albums

Those are the top 15...overall I have 627 score albums by 138 different composers and/or composer duos.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting. smile
    Here's mine:

01) Williams, John 77 (7.3% of my collection)
    02) Various Artists 63 (6.0% of my collection)
    03) Goldsmith, Jerry 46 (4.4% of my collection)
    04) Rozsa, Miklos 39 (3.7% of my collection)
    05) Poledouris, Basil 37 (3.5% of my collection)
    06) Delerue, Georges 31 (2.9% of my collection)
    07) Powell, John 23 (2.2% of my collection)
    08) Bernstein, Elmer 22 (2.1% of my collection)
    ---- Newman, Alfred 22 (2.1% of my collection)
    09) Morricone, Ennio 21 (2.0% of my collection)
    10) Zimmer, Hans 19 (1.8% of my collection)
    11) Horner, James 18 (1.7% of my collection)
    ---- Young, Christopher 18 (1.7% of my collection)
    12) Barry, John 15 (1.4% of my collection)
    13) Jones, Trevor 14 (1.3% of my collection)
    14) Schifrin, Lalo 12 (1.1% of my collection)
    15) Frizzell, John 10 (0.9% of my collection)
    ---- Steiner, Max 10 (0.9% of my collection)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The last time I counted -

Hans Zimmer - 60
    John Williams - 32
    John Powell - 33
    James Newton Howard - 25
    Mike Giacchino - 15
    James Horner - 24
    Jerry Goldsmith - 19
    Alan Menken - 20
    Alexandre Desplat - 12
    Alan Silvestri - 23

Many more but these are my major ones. It'll grow more slowly, it'll grow...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    My top 10:

1) Ennio Morricone (~400)
    2) Georges Delerue (83)
    3) Jerry Goldsmith (81)
    4) Basil Poledouris (61)
    5) John Williams (53)
    6) Hans Zimmer (45)
    7) James Horner (37)
    8) John Barry (27)
    9) Miklos Rozsa (26)
    10) Elmer Bernstein (25)

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fun "nerd" topic! I haven't really counted in years. I'll give it a shot now. Hold on...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For me it was easy enough: I've been using database program for my soundtrack CDs for insurance purposes, and it neatly spews out lovely stats like that at the push of a button. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote

lol applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I honestly had no idea there were that many Morricone, Delerue and Poledouris scores. The latter two I would have guessed there were about 30 releases in existence. Apparently I am wrong, and there are several decades of collecting ahead of me shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I honestly had no idea there were that many Morricone, Delerue and Poledouris scores. The latter two I would have guessed there were about 30 releases in existence. Apparently I am wrong, and there are several decades of collecting ahead of me shocked

I'm surprised you thought that, Morricone in particular, I'd bet there are still quite a few Morricone's that Peter still wants to add to his massive collection.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm surprised you thought that, Morricone in particular, I'd bet there are still quite a few Morricone's that Peter still wants to add to his massive collection.

Well I knew there were a lot of Morricone scores, but I would have thought maybe about 200 tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And as for me I have hardly any idea?

I know that I have over 100 CD's of John Barry, with only Jagged Edge the original Body Heat and The Quiller Memorandum missing from all official releases.

I suspect Jerry Goldsmith is the largest representative of any composer in my collection and I also have large amounts of John Williams, Ennio Morricone and below that is the brilliant likes of Delerue, Poledouris, Bernstein etc.

As for Hans Zimmer, I have more CD's by Ryuichi Sakamoto than I do Zimmer...FACT! tongue cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

lol applause

I lost count around 320. Now I just use the ~ symbol when making estimates.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote

Delerue is an incredibly prolific composer, though few people realize that. 347 credits according to imdb, that's almost Morricone-like in the prolific department. punk

Poledouris I've nearly completed. Alas not very prolific, but it's worth having almost everything he made.

Timmer wrote

Countless. wink

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ++ means that I have more items than the number listed, i.e. items in various forms (audio files, video files etc.), but that aren't CD's, strictly speaking.

1. John Williams: 160 ++
    2. Danny Elfman: 86 ++ (out of which 15 are Oingo Boingo-related)
    3. Jerry Goldsmith: 41
    4. Elliot Goldenthal: 29
    5. Hans Zimmer: 15
    6. James Horner: 10
    6. Alan Silvestri: 10
    6. Franz Waxman: 10
    7. James Newton Howard: 9
    8. Joel McNeely: 7
    8. Basil Poledouris: 7
    9. Elmer Bernstein: 6
    9. Ennio Morricone: 6 (so just watch out, Peter...I'm getting close!)
    9. David Arnold: 6
    10.Patrick Doyle: 5
    10. Michael Kamen: 5
    10. Marco Beltrami: 5
    10. John Debney: 5
    10. Bernard Herrmann: 5

OK, that was the "top 10", but since there are actually 19 composers, some of which share the same spot, I'm way over the "limit" already. smile

Of course, if I also counted the non-film music artists I collect, like Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre and The Alan Parsons Project, the numbers would clock in near the top, but that's a bit beside the topic.

Finally, I should also point out that the collections of some of these have been bigger at some point (for example, I've sold or traded off at least 15 Goldsmith CD's), but I'm trying to downsize from quantity to quality.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There are many numbers to be impressed by here, like Peter's Morricone collection or Tim's Barry collection, but Demonstar - you've got 20 Menkens?!? I didn't even know there WERE that many...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

160 Williams CDs.
    Whoah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

160 Williams CDs.
    Whoah!

Thor is a Williams completist. I was figuring it would be between Thor and Erik to see who's got the biggest...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Shitballs! shocked

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Thor is a Williams completist. I was figuring it would be between Thor and Erik to see who's got the biggest...

Uhhh, I bet Erik's got a big one...

Peter :fairy:
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote
    Scribe wrote

Delerue is an incredibly prolific composer, though few people realize that. 347 credits according to imdb, that's almost Morricone-like in the prolific department. punk

I guess I ought to check out soundtrackcollector and see if I can figure out which Delerue scores I might want to start looking for. I love what I have of his work. Beyond what is featured on the "Great Composers" album, is most of the rest of his repertoire as melodically rich as his more popular scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Scribe wrote

I guess I ought to check out soundtrackcollector and see if I can figure out which Delerue scores I might want to start looking for. I love what I have of his work. Beyond what is featured on the "Great Composers" album, is most of the rest of his repertoire as melodically rich as his more popular scores?

I'm not a Delerue expert (I intend to explore him further when finances allow) - so Peter, Tim or Martijn can probably answer this better, but from memory, I believe quite a few of his French New Wave scores can be a bit harsh compared to the lyrical output he's known for. There's a lot of jazzy stuff too, if that's your thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am not a fan of jazz.
    If I lived in Europe I would probably have a much larger Morricone & Delerue collection, but it costs so much to import CDs from Europe and the risk of getting something that is not really my taste seems to be too high with these composers.

Someone should make a list of which Morricone & Delerue scores are "safe" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote

Delerue is a master of melody, so nearly everything he has created contains some greatness. Very few albums disappoint me, with Delly. Only "Calmos" annoys me and "Shoot the piano player", which is one of his most famous scores, is a bit dull. Other than that, it's very hard to go wrong with Delerue.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I'm not a Delerue expert (I intend to explore him further when finances allow) - so Peter, Tim or Martijn can probably answer this better, but from memory, I believe quite a few of his French New Wave scores can be a bit harsh compared to the lyrical output he's known for. There's a lot of jazzy stuff too, if that's your thing.

I'm not sure that's true. I have many Delerues, and I almost never encounter anything too jazzy. Throughout my Delerue collection, there's the lyrical stuff and gorgeous melody stuff. He also seemed to score several medieval sounding scores, which he had a great talent for as well.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt, I would recommend the 6 CD set Le Cinema de Georges Delerue, full of fantastic themes, suites and rarities it's all original tracks and though there'll be plenty on this set you won't like ( true for me too ) I guarantee there'll be loads on here you will like and even love.

I believe with a bit of searching this can be found at a reasonable price too.

As for Morricone, well, Peter is THE man to ask biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If I were a composer, and could do whatever I wanted, I would compose for big-budget CGI-spectacle blockbusters, and instead of the atonal wallpaper that tends to dominate such films, I would combine the melodic mastery of Delerue with the energy/power mastery of Hans Zimmer and create music that was truly thrilling. Music that would truly be a worthy accompaniment to the eye candy on the screen, rather than music that seems designed to deliberately offset the eye candy.

And my scores would be rejected for being too emotionally manipulative :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    As for Morricone, well, Peter is THE man to ask biggrin

Indeedy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Matt, I would recommend the 6 CD set Le Cinema de Georges Delerue, full of fantastic themes, suites and rarities it's all original tracks and though there'll be plenty on this set you won't like ( true for me too ) I guarantee there'll be loads on here you will like and even love.

I believe with a bit of searching this can be found at a reasonable price too.

This set used to be in my purchase queue list (which now has about 150 scores on it I think) and for some reason I took it off. I forget why. *adds it back*
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok Peter, if I already have (and love) Fateless, Cinema Paradiso and The Mission (and also have, but am lukewarm towards, Gui' La Testa)...what are 5 Morricone scores I should get next? (please no jazz dominated scores smile )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would seriously recommend RED SONJA but it cost about a $zillion.