• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

Highly, highly recommended!

-Erik-

I'm glad I got this. It sounds like my cup of tea.

NP: New Moon (Desplat)

'To Volterra'. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    On my way to and from work, I played Javier Navarrete's Cracks again, which is shaping up to be among my favorite scores of the year. He is for me what, I can imagine, Desplat is for most others, yet his music appeals to me much more in an emotional way. Even though it seems very likely Satie's Gnossiene has been a temp on the film, this score is beautiful and inspired like all his previous efforts were. Very much recommended, and a grower.
  2. Martijn wrote
    NP: We Own The Night - Wojciech Kilar

Dark, oppressive and almost intolerably moody.
    But very, very good.
    Quite reminiscent of parts of Schindler's List at times. That typical dark, eastern european slant shines through without mercy.

A fine film (and score), to my eyes. It does an old melodramatic story with conviction. Kilar's music - short though the score is - helps the film work.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

Holdridge... you rarely disappoint and this hidden gem most definitely didn't. A great find and I hope that more of you who didn't get a chance to nab up a copy from Intrada can find one for a reasonable price elsewhere.

Highly, highly recommended!

-Erik-

Thanks for the review Erik. I'm still waiting for this one to arrive on my doorstep and really looking forward to sit down and listen to that one.

NP Emma Samuel Sim

First listen and first time I heard of this composer. That's why I got it. So far, it is a very engaging listen with a quite unique voice. Thanks to Mikael for releasing another composer who merits the attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

A fine film (and score), to my eyes. It does an old melodramatic story with conviction. Kilar's music - short though the score is - helps the film work.

I don't know the film. Worth seeking out, then?
    It all sounded pretty bleak. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. It's one of those stories about the wayward son who learns to embrace his family's identity and fight for it. Phoenix, Duvall and Wahlberg are excellent. Much less cynical than THE DEPARTED, and beautifully filmed. (With something I've not seen before - a car chase in the rain.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Unfaithful - Jan Kaczmarek

Apparently I seem to be having a dark night.
    Bloody hell, this is melancholy material.
    (It IS beautiful, though. Truly precious, with a very vulnerable melody line, and even though I know I'm being manipulated emotionally like a hypnotist swinging a watch, I love every second of it.)

It's his best score to date, so much emotion and beauty in those notes...have you seen the movie? It's weird how you say that you must be in a dark mood to hear this kind of music, to me at least, someone who listens to this material mainly and mostly and who's rare in dark moods smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    On my way to and from work, I played Javier Navarrete's Cracks again, which is shaping up to be among my favorite scores of the year. He is for me what, I can imagine, Desplat is for most others, yet his music appeals to me much more in an emotional way. Even though it seems very likely Satie's Gnossiene has been a temp on the film, this score is beautiful and inspired like all his previous efforts were. Very much recommended, and a grower.

Interesting! Looking forward to that!

franz_conrad wrote
    It's one of those stories about the wayward son who learns to embrace his family's identity and fight for it. Phoenix, Duvall and Wahlberg are excellent. Much less cynical than THE DEPARTED, and beautifully filmed. (With something I've not seen before - a car chase in the rain.)
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's one of those stories about the wayward son who learns to embrace his family's identity and fight for it. Phoenix, Duvall and Wahlberg are excellent. Much less cynical than THE DEPARTED, and beautifully filmed. (With something I've not seen before - a car chase in the rain.)

Anything with Phoenix in is a must-see, imo. Haven't seen this yet though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's one of those stories about the wayward son...

Carry on my wayward son
    There'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don't you cry no more!

<high five>

Anybody? No?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love scots. Especially when they're girls. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Martijn wrote
    I love scots. Especially when they're girls. love

Because they wear kilts with nothing under too?
  4. <low five>
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

Brilliance. So many goosebump-inducing moments.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Anybody? No?

You were referencing Kansas, right?
    (Otherwise my scot comment made no sense shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yuh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    You were referencing Kansas, right?
    (Otherwise my scot comment made no sense shame )

...except it doesn't make any sense as I inexplicably mixed up Kansas and Texas.

Time for me to go to bed, I think. Sleep deprivation is getting to me. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Dark, oppressive and almost intolerably moody.
    But very, very good.
    Quite reminiscent of parts of Schindler's List at times. That typical dark, eastern european slant shines through without mercy.

One of my very favourite composers and I've yet to hear this score ( Tom has already promised me this one )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Mark Isham - The Black Dahlia

Some noir for the night cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

CAN. NOT. STOP. PLAYING. THIS!

Can you separate the quality of the music and the childhood memories associated with this title?

I've listened to this and it's okay.

It's just great music! Just like Star Wars, Raiders, Mutiny on the Bounty, Dances With Wolves, The Sea Hawk, Backdraft, etc. It's just really, really friggn' awesome music that just so happens to be a film score. Sure, there is a nostalgia factor associated with it which also helps in some part with my love for the score but I don't know how anyone can't get any thrills out of the militaristic build up of "85 Twin Pines Mall" or feel the tender emotions attached to something like "Marty's Letter" or just the shire excitement of "The Clocktower" sequence. Alan, scores of this caliber sadly just aren't written any more.

Look, just so you don't think I'm being biased I had almost the same reaction to another Intrada title earlier in the year; The Journey of Natty Gann. I had never seen the film or heard the score but when I finally spun the album for the first time I couldn't stop playing it! Good music will do that to me.

-Erik-

Thanks for taking the time putting your thoughts down on virtual paper. Interesting to read it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK ROBE - Georges Delerue

Fabulous score, what a much missed talent Delerue is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Isham - The Black Dahlia

Some noir for the night cool

Ah; such a classy, sexy score. Wish we got more of that nowadays, and Isham seems to have turned to electronic ambiance these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Il principe del deserto - Ennio Morricone

From his four Saharan-themed scores I know, this is the best one. The usual wonderful moving melodies with vocals and orchestra, the exciting exotic sounding action tracks all make this album a very good listen. I am glad I have discovered this score again and put it into my CD player. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    Il principe del deserto - Ennio Morricone

From his four Saharan-themed scores I know, this is the best one. The usual wonderful moving melodies with vocals and orchestra, the exciting exotic sounding action tracks all make this album a very good listen. I am glad I have discovered this score again and put it into my CD player. punk

Aye, great score cool

Besides this one and Secret of The Sahara and Sahara ( early 1980's ), what is the 4th Saharan themed score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The fourt Saharan themed score is I Guardiani del cielo. That movie also takes places in the desert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    keky wrote
    The fourt Saharan themed score is I Guardiani del cielo. That movie also takes places in the desert.

Love that score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote

Cheers! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    keky wrote

Love that score!

lick Still available?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    keky wrote

Love that score!

lick Still available?

I got mine from here last year. If you're lucky they can still get it for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Back To The Future Part III - Alan Silvestri

Superb score. One of the finest sequel scores ever composed! The Varese album works MUCH BETTER in chronological order. Separating the three Train cues was a pretty dumb move.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!