• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Back To The Future Part III - Alan Silvestri

Superb score. One of the finest sequel scores ever composed! The Varese album works MUCH BETTER in chronological order. Separating the three Train cues was a pretty dumb move.

-Erik-

What's the chronological order? (And I wonder why Silvestri changed it for the album?) I'm going to listen to this one later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    What's the chronological order? (And I wonder why Silvestri changed it for the album?) I'm going to listen to this one later.

1, 6, 3, 4, 14, 12, 5, 17, 13, 10, 7, 15, 11, 16, 2, 9, 8, 18.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    keky wrote
    The fourt Saharan themed score is I Guardiani del cielo. That movie also takes places in the desert.

Love that score!

lick Still available?

I got mine from here last year. If you're lucky they can still get it for you.

Thanks Kalman beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Mark Griskey

One of my favourite scores of 2008. Any film would be lucky to have music of this quality! Miles better than the Clone Wars score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Mark Griskey

One of my favourite scores of 2008. Any film would be lucky to have music of this quality! Miles better than the Clone Wars score.

Indeed! Excellent music and excellent use of pre-existing themes and motifs!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. James Horner - Clear and Present Danger

I really like this score, one of his best plain action stuff,. The album is not so good, missing some really MAJOR material (final action scene) and a rather disjointed experience (due to the lack of the major material released, there is more synth/pan flute material in the movie than on album).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Clear and Present Danger

I really like this score, one of his best plain action stuff,. The album is not so good, missing some really MAJOR material (final action scene) and a rather disjointed experience (due to the lack of the major material released, there is more synth/pan flute material in the movie than on album).

Yeah. that last action cue is a stunner and is sorely missed but I absolutely love the new variation of the Clear and Present Danger theme in the end credits! Excellent action score with a hint of that 80's Horner urban sound!

-Erik-
  2. Some moments in that final action cue (I saw the film yesterday for the third/fourth time) remind me of The Matrix (some brass chords). Is it possible that Davis did some ghostwriting there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Some moments in that final action cue (I saw the film yesterday for the third/fourth time) remind me of The Matrix (some brass chords). Is it possible that Davis did some ghostwriting there?

Or injected some of his own personality into the orchestrations!

-Erik-
  3. With Horner? I don't think that would be possible (I think Horner is like Williams with his orchestrations - very precise, not letting his orchestrators become creative)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009 edited
    NP: Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

It's sequel day here at the Woods house hold. This score is on a completely different level than the original. Is it better than the original? Well, that's all subjective. Plus, this score and the original are so incredibly different from one another. I like both equally - Batman is a classic - but I also think Elfman took his Batman music to much different levels of creatively and was, IMHO, far more inspired on this score than the original.

Batman Returns is basically as close as we get to a truly authentic Elfman/Burton sounding Batman score. All the elements that make up the classic Elfman/Burton sound are in this score. In addition this score is more dark/fantasy than the Gothic epic sounds of the first. I think Returns is a far more personal score for both Burton and Elfman. The tragic origins of Penguin for instance is right up Burton and Elfman's alley and I think it was easy for Elfman to sympathize with the Penguin more so than any other character in the two Batman films he scored. Its all there in the music.

Elfman's Catwoman music is a stroke of genius. The evil, sexy meows of the strings is absolutely spot on and one of the most creative sounds Elfman has ever come up with.

As I've mentioned before when discussing this score... especially this album in particular... the music just flows effortlessly. The album plays like a symphony and I would love to hear this particular album presentation performed live.

Great album, great score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    With Horner? I don't think that would be possible (I think Horner is like Williams with his orchestrations - very precise, not letting his orchestrators become creative)

I don't know man... listen to some of the stuff Davis orchestrated for Horner.

Now, there are two possibilities here. Horner taught Davis everything he knows therefore the Davis sound that we know and love can be credited to Horner. shocked Or Davis was allowed some creative freedom to injected a bit of his own personality into Horner's music.

-Erik-
  4. Well, Behind Enemy Lines owes A LOT to Horner - the strings, the snare...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE - Ennio Morricone

One of those scores that gave me the love for film music in the first place, superlative!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Marco Beltrami & Buck Saunders - Max Payne

Not good. And I love the game, what the hell?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Marco Beltrami & Buck Saunders - Max Payne

Not good. And I love the game, what the hell?

It's a terribly mediocre score that holds absolutely nothing memorable, nothing to set it apart, nothing that wants to pass along to the audience, nor a meaning whatsoever. The movie is pretty horrible too, i have to say.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. And the game has so much potential! Where is the combination of noir and John Woo? (BTW, John Woo doing noir would be plain FANTASTIC!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

One of the best Hans Zimmer score ever. Expansive, epic soundscape. Rocking guitar soli. Thundering action passages. Gorgeous and heartbreaking cello soli. All of these packed into 41 minute of awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And the game has so much potential! Where is the combination of noir and John Woo? (BTW, John Woo doing noir would be plain FANTASTIC!)

Well, almost all games turned movies are disasters anyway so it doesn't surprise me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And the game has so much potential! Where is the combination of noir and John Woo? (BTW, John Woo doing noir would be plain FANTASTIC!)

Well, almost all games turned movies are disasters anyway so it doesn't surprise me.

Heck, even the movies about games fails at being interesting.
  7. Max Payne 2 theme

Yes, the game theme. Beltrami, have you listened to the ORIGINAL game theme??
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE - John Debney

One of Debney's most enjoyable smaller scores. I just wish the soundtrack release was longer. cool
  8. "Back to the Future" just came in. Five minutes before I got to leave. Damnit! biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Just came back from seeing 2012 at the movie theater. Well, the special effects are the stars of the movie. The score was pretty blah. Yes, Marselus, I wasted some money but I really wanted to eat pop corn.

NP Swept by the Sea Barry

I need to unwind from the overstimulation of the disaster movie and this is a score I haven't played in a long while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Max Payne 2 theme

Yes, the game theme. Beltrami, have you listened to the ORIGINAL game theme??

I just had a listen to it, coincidentally, but I actually found it rather blah. Pretty default game drone stuff. Not very enjoyable at all. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Much more dramatic, really. I love that cello.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Just came back from seeing 2012 at the movie theater. Well, the special effects are the stars of the movie. The score was pretty blah. Yes, Marselus, I wasted some money but I really wanted to eat pop corn.

NP Swept by the Sea Barry

I need to unwind from the overstimulation of the disaster movie and this is a score I haven't played in a long while.

That's a lovely score! cool
  10. Getting into "Back to the Future" now. Oh ... oh it's finally about time. smile
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Back To The Future Part III - Alan Silvestri

Superb score. One of the finest sequel scores ever composed! The Varese album works MUCH BETTER in chronological order. Separating the three Train cues was a pretty dumb move.

-Erik-

I believe they do deliberately for the sake of continuity. In fact, most of the score albums won't have proper chronological order that may be to sustain the continuity of listening experience. That's why in BTTF III album, first track starts with same old theme and changes immediately to new theme, and in second track, the train quick pace track which would certainly give some idea to the listeners about this entire album. The thing while you listen to the music, you should not bring the movie into my mind, you should assume yourself as if you are listening to some concert. This is how i appreciate the score which don't have proper chronological order. However, your way of appreciation may differ from me.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.