• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited
    NP: Assassin's Creed II - Jesper Kyd

I can't really understand why his dark and moody electronic style grips me so...but it does, for the full 2 CDs!
    I guess it may be that in each and every score he produces, Kyd inserts a certain relentlessness. There are no moments of New Age-y esoterism, or glasslike vulnerability: it's the dark first of doom going straight for the jugular.
    Man, I love this stuff.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE TWO TOWERS - Howard Shore

angelic love

I recently watched the extended editions, and it's easy to forget just what a monumental achievement these scores are!

The films aren't perfect, but for me, the scores are.

I don't think either the films or scores are perfect, but both are very good. If anything, hearing the complete editions (well, of the first and last ones - haven't tried the middle one - and only in smaller chunks) has lessened my appreciation of them, because they emphasise just how much (especially the first one) just keeps repeating things over and over. In retrospect, maybe I'd have preferred a slightly more emotional and less intellectualised approach to the scores. Shore is so rigid in the way he constructs them, it never feels to me like they're truly breathing. (Only a tiny nitpick to say why I don't think they're perfect, by the way - I DO think they're very good and the third one is absolutely tremendous.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't tend to dwell on any of that. For me, they're perfect - nothing more to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As has been proven on numerous occasions, you do have low standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I just don't nitpick.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    While the same can't be said for Steven's above statement and my way of thinking, I do have to agree they are perfect. Dare I say the best scores in the past 15 or so years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    i want main titles.net app for windows mobile!

Wrong thread, awesome enthusiasm FTW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Assassin's Creed II - Jesper Kyd

I can't really understand why his dark and moody electronic style grips me so...but it does, for the full 2 CDs!
    I guess it may be that in each and every score he produces, Kyd inserts a certain relentlessness. There are no moments of New Age-y esoterism, or glasslike vulnerability: it's the dark first of doom going straight for the jugular.
    Man, I love this stuff.

There's no need to understand anything...the man's music is very unique and deeply melodic at most places.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    I don't tend to dwell on any of that. For me, they're perfect - nothing more to it.

The films were ok, really, but i'll agree with Steven, the scores ARE perfect. The last (so far) film music classics. It's logical that people won't recognize it YET 'cause it's too early, but seriously, in 20-30 years time, those scores will be up there with Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

The films were ok, really, but i'll agree with Steven, the scores ARE perfect. The last (so far) film music classics. It's logical that people won't recognize it YET 'cause it's too early, but seriously, in 20-30 years time, those scores will be up there with Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, etc.

Without a doubt. For me, they already are. Of course, as you say, it will take a little while for them to become "true" classics.

Though I'm obviously wrong due to my low standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I probably thought they were better at the time than I do now so I'm not sure they're going to grow into classic status, but anyway, that's not to say anyone else is wrong if they think they're perfect. Return of the King would certainly get in my top ten of this decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I use the word 'perfect' very lightly mind you. I certainly wouldn't try to argue the technicalities of what makes them perfect - I wouldn't be able to! Just perfect to me. Like Scarlett Johansson's rack.
  1. "Something Wicked This Way Comes"
    James Horner

I don't believe I have EVER played so many scores from one label in a year, EVER.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Without a doubt. For me, they already are. Of course, as you say, it will take a little while for them to become "true" classics.

Though I'm obviously wrong due to my low standards.

My standards are low too. Classics IMO all three are.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I use the word 'perfect' very lightly mind you. I certainly wouldn't try to argue the technicalities of what makes them perfect - I wouldn't be able to! Just perfect to me. Like Scarlett Johansson's rack.

Only Scarlett's rack IS technically perfect in all terms for EVERYONE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back to the Future III - Alan Silvestri

Maybe my favourite Silvestri score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    NP: Inkheart ~ Javier Navarrete

Beuatiful, melodious, with a sense of playful attitude that makes you smile at times, dark and emotional at others. Most of all fairytalish, my kind of thing! A full, well-written score. Navarrete at his best element! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Stavroula wrote
    Nanarrete at his best element! smile

biggrin wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Back to the Future III - Alan Silvestri

Maybe my favourite Silvestri score?

This score rocks. I think it's the best of the franchise and one of the best "western" scores in the last years.
    It's incredible how the back to the future theme "looks" in the western way. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

NP:Back to the Future III

The love theme is also superb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Marselus wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Nanarrete at his best element! smile

biggrin wink

tongue
    Corrected it!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - Elmer Bernstein

Cooking! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHIPPING NEWS - Christopher Young

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One of Young's most atypical (and very best) efforts. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's my favourite Celtic-flavoured score. Love it.
  2. NP: Coco Chanel (Desplat)

Everyone at work seems to love it when I play this. It's become a common request.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Martijn wrote
    One of Young's most atypical (and very best) efforts. cool

I love this score.

Did I tell you the time when Chris played the theme for me at SONCINEMAD? Maybe I might have mentioned it... shame

Well, it is one of my film music highlights!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    shame <--jealous
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    kill <--jealous
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Did I tell you the time when Chris played the theme for me at SONCINEMAD? Maybe I might have mentioned it... shame

Well, it is one of my film music highlights!!

What? How? Explain!
    slant <-- jealous
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    What? How? Explain!
    slant <-- jealous

Here you go!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn