• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The other one is Bernard Herrmann conducts Great British Film Music and that contains ( I'm going from memory ) five tracks and is approximately 10+ minutes but I do remember it contains the 'Moon Gun' music, I love this recording but it's been years since I've played it, it's on LP, one of his Phase 4 Decca recordings and I've no idea if it was ever released on CD?

It was, but it's a bit of a chore to find it: it's been out of print for years.

I'm sure Geoff Love did a darn fine version of the Things To Come March on one of his many albums!?

He certainly did!

Great album! cool

EDIT: Damn. Alan beat me to it. slant
    Oh well. At least I own the album! tongue

Feeling ill has also made me braindead!!! Did we once do a thread on Geoff Love here? Within another thread? At Scorereviews?

Or am I thinking of another board entirely??? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    keky wrote
    La Bibbia: Giacobbe - Marco Frisina

Amazing score with some beautiful vocal tracks. It really captures the ancient wonder of the Bible.

punk Cool! Do you have the other Bibbia scores?
    If I get the time next month, I plan to watch all the Bibbia movies (they're on Netflix) and listen to all the scores and compile a mini-index of comments (I won't call them reviews)
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    The Edge (Jerry Goldsmith)

Been ages since hearing this one. What joy revisiting it, first of all because of the brilliant theme, second due to the totally gobsmacking action music. Jerry never lost his masterful touch, even in his later years. The Edge and the ones that came after it are testament to that fact. The tribal sounding suspense cues couldn't have been written more effectively for such a survival / adventure thriller.

I must listen to that one again, it's been too long shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek: Generations Dennis McCarthy

I prefer this to Jerry Goldsmith's score to The Final Frontier. There, I said it.

Egads! I saw this lunatic opinion and instantly assumed it was from Martijn... but it was a British person!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Ahhhh! I forgot this was one of your first scores in which case I totally understand your point of view and hell yeah, it isn't a bad score by anyones standards

...except all the other composers who have scored Star Trek films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Innerspace (bootleg) (Jerry Goldsmith)
    ...until someone from Intrada does the expected and releases this little gem...

Not Intrada... wink
  2. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Innerspace (bootleg) (Jerry Goldsmith)
    ...until someone from Intrada does the expected and releases this little gem...

Not Intrada... wink

ow man, then who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have been reliably informed that it's coming, though I have no idea when.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sounds like an FSM project! Doesn't matter WHO really. I've heard the Innerspace boot and I hate to say it but the commercial album release is actually the best presentation of the score. The complete score drags and drags horribly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've found the bootleg to be unlistenable because of the sound. I remember from watching the film that the score is really, really bitty. I hope the company that does release it has the courage to not just put out every last note in film order, because that wouldn't work at all.
  3. Southall wrote
    I have been reliably informed that it's coming, though I have no idea when.

the fact alone it's coming is enough for me smile
  4. Southall wrote
    I've found the bootleg to be unlistenable because of the sound. I remember from watching the film that the score is really, really bitty. I hope the company that does release it has the courage to not just put out every last note in film order, because that wouldn't work at all.

that's why I hoped it would have been Intrada, because they are masters at presenting their music in the best possible presentation
  5. I'd say LLLR. I think it was them that said this(?), and "Explorers" were possible, but not for about two years as the rights were harder than average titles fro mthe now open studio vault. They said that a few months ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: Gods & Generals - John Frizzell and Randy Edelman
    Outstanding! Absolutely delightful to listen to, despite it's rather dramatic tone. The chorus passage in "To The Stone Wall" alone always blows me away. Curious to know why Edelman had to contribute to the music as well, since nothing that I heard sounds like it's coming mainly from his venue so I assume he's patched some of Frizzell's tunes.

Been listening to this one today. Love it. I remember purchasing this score when it first came out because the reviews were raving about the theme. And what a theme. Noble, tragic, inspirational and ultimately "epic" in all sense of the word. I'm surprised that it hasn't been used in previews since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Ahhhh! I forgot this was one of your first scores in which case I totally understand your point of view and hell yeah, it isn't a bad score by anyones standards

Blimey, you really don't like that score. How odd?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Blimey, you really don't like that score. How odd?

I do really, I think it's pretty decent. I just don't think it's as good as all the other Star Trek movie scores.
  6. It's one of the best Trek movies scores. And cue-for-cue, better than "The Undiscovered Country", and easily beats down "Nemesis".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  7. NP: Stalker (Edward Artemyev)

Most people would say this is rubbish film music, but I beg to differ.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I do really, I think it's pretty decent. I just don't think it's as good as all the other Star Trek movie scores.

Fair enough. Surprised you'd take Voyage Home over Generations though? (Although Voyage Home does have a fantastic theme.)

Also, I've never been much of a fan of Nemesis. This coming from the same person who absolutely adores Insurrection, generally lauded as Goldsmith on 'auto-pilot'.
  8. Certainly nothing "auto pilot" about Insurrection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Insurrection and Nemesis are both pretty auto-pilot like, but I'd take Goldsmith on auto-pilot over most composers flat-out. The man just cranked out amazing themes, time after time. I don't think he's ever been given credit for that. What's the last action film that had a theme like 13th Warrior or for that matter Insurrection? And while the action music in those later scores was all pretty interchangeable, he did it so well.
  9. Insurrection has what Nemesis lacks, an emotional core. So as opposed to Nemesis I don't think Insurrection is Jerry on auto-pilot, because the ideas behind it are well thought out. It has a sound that is bound to impress (though not impress like he did a decade or two before), whereas Nemesis doesn't have a soul and does nothing to impress me, save maybe for one cue.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. The Devil's Own (James Horner)

Not one of his best, but the irish approach does wonders for the themes in this one. It's a score I don't put on often, because of its overall depressing sound, but the few lovely cues here are vintage Horner and are worth it to revisit once in a while. And I adore the poem and its melody during the opening and ending tracks, is that Sara Clancy who's singing? Such a sweet voice. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Certainly nothing "auto pilot" about Insurrection.

The action music certainly is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited
    NP: Kull The Conqueror - Joel Goldsmith

birthday

Happy Birthday Joel!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Kull The Conqueror - Joel Goldsmith

birthday

Happy Birthday Joel!

-Erik-

Absolutely magnificent scoring!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Princess and the Frog - Randy Newman

Some lovely songs (particularly "Down in New Orleans" and "Dig a Little Deeper") and a lovely score, which is much more laid-back and romantic than any of his other scores for animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    North By Northwest
    Bernard Herrmann

Great Herrmann Score
    Perfect Theme. Every time I hear it I'm reminded of the fantastic opening credits as well as Hitchcock's bus cameo.
    Besides, James Mason's the man. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    omaha wrote
    North By Northwest
    Bernard Herrmann

Great Herrmann Score
    Perfect Theme. Every time I hear it I'm reminded of the fantastic opening credits as well as Hitchcock's bus cameo.
    Besides, James Mason's the man. cool

Totally agree with you there omaha! Very good score to a very good film. Classic in every way!