• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. House of Cards (James Horner)

First listen... at long last. What a refreshing listen! Subdued and beautiful, Horner in top 90s form. I can already sense I'm going to fall in love with this one. love

This guy can weave gorgeous melodies together like us bi-pedals can put one leg in front of another when walking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    King Kong James Newton Howard

A fantastic score, especially with the time given to JNH to complete it. Much better than Alberto Iglesias's The Dancer Upstairs.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    King Kong James Newton Howard

A fantastic score, especially with the time given to JNH to complete it. Much better than Alberto Iglesias's The Dancer Upstairs.

NOBODY could argue with that.
  2. HAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHHDFHFHGGHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    HAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHHDFHFHGGHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting laugh!? If only I could interpret that middle eight?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Moonraker - John Barry

Not his best Bond score, as I'm sure Tim will agree, but Flight Into Space = punk

Fantastic cue; epic and sexy in a way only Barry could accomplish.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    In The Electric Mist - Marco Beltrami

Beltrami again proves he is a great composer of themes as the main theme, which is quite melancholy and estranging, espousing different eras with a vivid Centennial feel meeting some very modern and at times eerie instrumentation and orchestration, is excellent.

But the whole score is a delight. Introspective yet very melodious.
    Quite moody too, but not in an oppressive way: the score is too coherent for that.
    Thoroughly enjoyable, and moreover: just very good!

EDIT: for some reason I love the title as well. It's an oddly poetic, visually suggestive concept I find inexplicably alluring (even better than the book's original title).
    Apparently the film itself is a bit of a snoozer with Tommy Lee Jones basically doing what Tommy Lee Jones always does, and a plot that goes nowhere really fast. Long on mood, short on substance. I think I'll stick to the score. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. HEHEHEEHEEHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!HIIIIHIII HIHIHHHAAAA!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

Not his best Bond score, as I'm sure Tim will agree, but Flight Into Space = punk

cool

100%. Totally. Agree.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    HEHEHEEHEEHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!HIIIIHIII HIHIHHHAAAA!

Curiouser and curiouser?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    HEHEHEEHEEHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!HIIIIHIII HIHIHHHAAAA!

confused Mad Horse Disease?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

100%. Totally. Agree.

Have you ever donated sperm, Timmer? I'm beginning to wonder if Lee is your son.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No but it was spread far and wide in my youth devil wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    Have you ever donated sperm, Timmer? I'm beginning to wonder if Lee is your son.

Hmmm...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Steven wrote

Hmmm...

Love the pic Lee, nice pics of your grandad on the walls in the background too cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LSH wrote
    Steven wrote

Hmmm...

applause
    I had to look twice...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Music of Dmitri Shostakovich Vol 1 - Dmitri Shostakovich
    The BBC Philharmonic conducted by Vassily Sinaisky with the Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus

Good lord! shocked The Maxim Trilogy suite, which opens the album, contains some of the finest dramatic symphonic music I've ever heard. Epic in scope but surprisingly tender during such cues as "Death of an Old Worker" with a heartbreaking lonely cello solo that transforms into a most satisfying big, muscular, over the top, melodramatic piece. It's interesting to hear in this suite a few quotes from Shostakovich's own The Unforgettable Year 1919; which is an extraordinary score on its own brilliant recorded by The Moscow Symphony with Adriano conducting for the Naxos label. The highlight for me in this suite is "Struggle At The Barricades" played "allegro con brio." I had to look up what that meant... and "with vigor" is an understatement. The BBC Philharmonic knocked this one out of the park. A spirited and inspired performance of an very impressive and modern sounding cue.

The Maxim Trilogy suite features a style of writing that I love; bold, epic, thematic symphonic music. What a delight.

Up next on this compilation is The Man With A Gun, A Girl Alone and King Lear... it's all new to me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote

cool

I don't think I'm your father, but I also agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    In The Electric Mist - Marco Beltrami

Beltrami again proves he is a great composer of themes as the main theme, which is quite melancholy and estranging, espousing different eras with a vivid Centennial feel meeting some very modern and at times eerie instrumentation and orchestration, is excellent.

But the whole score is a delight. Introspective yet very melodious.
    Quite moody too, but in an oppressive way: the score is too coherent for that.
    Thoroughly enjoyable, and moreover: just very good!

Yes, it is. I love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This is the first music I've played all week....

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - BASIL POLEDOURIS

It really don't get better! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^ naught to add but cool

A bit of a Beltrami rush: NP: I, Robot
    Whutta theme (again). On a different level than In The Electric Mist, but well thought-out, well-executed and continously enjoyable (even though the orchestra drops the ball now and again (Chicago 2035...ouch...) ). I really should look into Beltrami more.
    He's one of those "promising young composers" I thoroughly enjoyed some ten years ago, but dropped off my personal radar after too many comparable projects (Brian Tyler...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    This is the first music I've played all week....

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - BASIL POLEDOURIS

It really don't get better! punk

Nope. And a great way to get pumped for a Friday night out! punk

(NP: Conan)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN MURPHY - 28 days later, 28 weeks later.

Absolutely spot-on, gripping and modern re-take on the horror genre, with a dirty and grungy rock feeling to it all and even a melodic touch of despair here and there. Who said horror scores should always be about hits and crashes and bangs and clusters? Murphy always prooves with his works in general, that can do it equally effective, but in a completely new way. Very impressed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Modern Warfare 2 - Lorne Balfe and a bunch of people

I want to like it, but it's too generic that it becomes just musical wallpaper at time. The score fails in the same way that RGW's Modern Combat and Jablonsky/Morris' Tiberium War did. Very driving, growling and pulsating work (somewhat ideal for the game) but they all need more cohesion as a whole, with unifying thematic materials and perspective.
  4. Modern Warfare 2 does have a repeating thematic idea or two (the thing that appears in End Credits, a simple figure or two), but yeah, it's definitely a fail.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I want to like it, but it's too generic that it becomes just musical wallpaper at time. The score fails in the same way that RGW's Modern Combat and Jablonsky/Morris' Tiberium War did. Very driving, growling and pulsating work (somewhat ideal for the game) but they all need more cohesion as a whole, with unifying thematic materials and perspective.

Is there a better sounding version out there other than that horribly drown sound in the initial rip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Modern Warfare 2 does have a repeating thematic idea or two (the thing that appears in End Credits, a simple figure or two), but yeah, it's definitely a fail.

Speaking of thematic idea or two, the score does have loads of motifs, but they don't go anywhere. Individual tracks are nice to listen to, but the whole thing is kinda boring.

NP: Jak and Daxter : The Lost Frontier - James Dooley
    Way better game score. Rambunctious, adventurous and epic at time while using a similar set of tools as in MW2. James Dooley is just getting better and better with each game score that he does.
    I'd recommend the iTunes version. Some of the best part is there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

Is there a better sounding version out there other than that horribly drown sound in the initial rip?

Yup. Google something called "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Game Rip" and look for a 44 track 3hrs version. It's a more focused version of the original 7 hour rip, but somehow, it could be much shorter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. And the sound quality is good? Because the first rip was plain awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote

NP: Jak and Daxter : The Lost Frontier - James Dooley
    Way better game score. Rambunctious, adventurous and epic at time while using a similar set of tools as in MW2. James Dooley is just getting better and better with each game score that he does.
    I'd recommend the iTunes version. Some of the best part is there.

Is that the 40 minute version?