• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I have to consult it with my dad, but thanks
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - new moon

Melodic and deeply lyrical, this new Deslpat score has it all; emotional fragile main theme, which is a fully developed proper long melody set on-top of a counter-melody which is a 3-note descending motif a la The Thin Red Line, bold epically sounding cues a la The Golden Compass and even James Newton Howard's relevant big tracks, charming waltzes and heartwarming, touching piano pieces, all under permanent grace, melody and elegance. Very excited by this score that marks not only the closure of a greatly rich year for Desplat, but also one of the year's brightest higlights.

Twilight new moon is by Desplat? shocked
    I want it!

By the way...the movie has made on 80 mlions on Friday (Breaking record and surpassing The Dark Knight). rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    By the way...the movie has made on 80 mlions on Friday (Breaking record and surpassing The Dark Knight). rolleyes

This means a weekend astounding total of 140 - 150 million! shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Twilight new moon is by Desplat? shocked
    I want it!

You didn't know already? shocked

(Btw, is the cue from the song album featured on the score CD? I can't find it, or is it just a separate piano arrangement?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think that was a separate piano arrangement...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But what a brilliant theme. It's the haunting, inciting, mysterious side of Desplat on show again. Sometimes it borderlines on the quiet underscore I don't enjoy, but whenever that main theme shows up in a grand statement love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Cripes! That's a fuck load of angst ridden teenage girls!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    But what a brilliant theme. It's the haunting, inciting, mysterious side of Desplat on show again. Sometimes it borderlines on the quiet underscore I don't enjoy, but whenever that main theme shows up in a grand statement love

Reminds me a lot of House o th Dark Butterflies by Panu Aaltio. But indeed, what a theme!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Probably the best Elvis score ever written cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Cripes! That's a fuck load of angst ridden teenage girls!!!

I love goth girls. love

(Guess I have a whole Freudian Thanatos thing going on... shame )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too Martijn, me too! lick cool I think I've mentioned before the crazy chick I used to go out with who looked like Caroline Monro?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    YES.

YOU DID.

SHUT UP.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Probably the best Elvis score ever written cool

ah jeez.
    that's gold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Exodus - Ernest Gold

Terrific stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    YES.

YOU DID.

SHUT UP.

biggrin

Just one of a very few times where I was punching well above my weight wink

NP : UNDER FIRE - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Quantum of Solace
    David Arnold

Yes yes. Old news.
    Has been really growing on me.
    A strong Bond score that stands on its own.
    Can wait for the next one.
    Please use the main theme not at the end credits at least once! shame
    I suppose that is the director though. They need the perfect moment that calls for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

Splendid. Ravishing in parts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ITALIAN JOB - Quincy Jones

Great songs ( On Days Like These, The Self Preservation Society ) and cool score, just a feel good fun soundtrack! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Melodic and deeply lyrical, this new Deslpat score has it all; emotional fragile main theme, which is a fully developed proper long melody set on-top of a counter-melody which is a 3-note descending motif a la The Thin Red Line, bold epically sounding cues a la The Golden Compass and even James Newton Howard's relevant big tracks, charming waltzes and heartwarming, touching piano pieces, all under permanent grace, melody and elegance. Very excited by this score that marks not only the closure of a greatly rich year for Desplat, but also one of the year's brightest higlights.

I agree. Actually thiss is the first score by Desplat that has caught my attention since minute one (funny that it is for a movie I do not intend to watch). Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree. Actually thiss is the first score by Desplat that has caught my attention since minute one (funny that it is for a movie I do not intend to watch). Brilliant.

Brilliant is the word my friend, i've been listening to it all day, so much emotion and beauty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Brilliant is the word my friend, i've been listening to it all day, so much emotion and beauty!

Indeed, the main theme is so beautiful and inspired. And there´s a very good piano version ("The Meadow")of it in the songs cd.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Ultimate cool! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed, the main theme is so beautiful and inspired. And there´s a very good piano version ("The Meadow")of it in the songs cd.

Indeed, i added it in the playlist from the twilight : new moon crappy songs CD. Thank God for that wink How did you like the dark action material and the masculine passages in the score btw?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm saving it for an tomorrow afternoon listen D beer cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BOURNE IDENTITY - John Powell

Something arse kicking before I hit the pubs tonight! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Ultimate cool! cool

cool
    what else is there to say?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Mothman Prophecies
    Jeff Rona

Extraordinarily Atmospheric
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    NP: Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves - Michael Kamen

For no apparent reason that driving, low strings melody popped into my head and I started whistling it.
    When I realized what it was I was actually whistling (and I'm ashamed to say that took me a few minutes...I thought at first it was something by Trevor Jones or even Poledouris!), I considered t was way too long - WAY too long since I played this superlative score (to a humdrum kinda film).

It must have been years.

And I forgot how good this score really is: the themes, the orchestration. It's all just so lush and rich in both ideas and texture. I'm really rediscovering this score, and I'm amazed how much I'm enjoying it! It's been quite a while since I enjoyed a score so much.

Kamen's finest hour, to be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    More constructively, I think it's far from his finest hour, apart from the spectacular main themes. I think his finest hour came late on in his career - Band of Brothers or Open Range or The Iron Giant (the gorgeous Don Juan and lovely Mr Holland's Opus rounding out the top five).