• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    BLAKE NEELY - the wedding Date

Sacharine but deeply romantic and melodic, reminds me of something Marc Shaiman would have written. Nice.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DARK CRYSTAL - Trevor Jones

Simply magnificent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Recent listening:

Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Hugely enjoyable, great themes, some of the most sweeping romance Goldsmith ever did.

The Big Sleep - Jerry Fielding

Some funky 70s themes coupled with typically extravagant Fielding styles.

Now playing:

Dances with Wolves - John Barry

A classic. There are more genuinely memorable themes in this score than most film composers write in a career.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How very true.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Finished listening to New Moon. This thing is not only ages better than Burwell's score but one of the best scores of this year so far. I am incredibly addicted to the main theme and I love how its rendition in the first track as a haunting piano-led cue eventually develops into a lush string piece in the final track, Full Moon. Almost every track here is a good listening experience, great album presentation too. I'm sure it'll grow on me even more with further listening. Excellent stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Finished listening to New Moon. This thing is not only ages better than Burwell's score but one of the best scores of this year so far. I am incredibly addicted to the main theme and I love how its rendition in the first track as a haunting piano-led cue eventually develops into a lush string piece in the final track, Full Moon. Almost every track here is a good listening experience, great album presentation too. I'm sure it'll grow on me even more with further listening. Excellent stuff!

It has grace and characteristics of past eras in film music, and the main theme is the most infectious this year so far. Incredibly melodic, lyrical and grand. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Lets not exaggerate. Great theme, lush romantic pieces, but it's long and not always very interesting either. Th 'action tracks' are rather dull I find.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rather dull? I don't think i exaggerate if i don't agree with that smile All the best of elements from the Golden Compass and even parts of Firewall and Hostage are in those tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    Lets not exaggerate. Great theme, lush romantic pieces, but it's long and not always very interesting either. Th 'action tracks' are rather dull I find.

At last!!!

The love theme is great, but nothing new in Desplat career.

The rest is bland and repetitive. i guess the movie is not a great inspiration either.

I have to say I love some of Desplat scores: Painted veil, Birth, Lust Caution, Golden Compass....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think it has everything in it, romance, passion, dark action cues, everything. And it doesn't have the austere and clinical mood a lot of people don't like with Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it has everything in it, romance, passion, dark action cues, everything. And it doesn't have the austere and clinical mood a lot of people don't like with Desplat.

I'm happy you enjoy this score, because we need real fresh air. I don't remember when the last score I enjoyed came up...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm happy you enjoy this score, because we need real fresh air. I don't remember when the last score I enjoyed came up...

I remember. It was Angels and Demons. And Dark Knight 2 smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    Would be great if somebody dared to watch the film and tell us how the score works in the movie. Volunteers?

I saw the film with some people from work because they invited me (and I don't MIND the series, although there are a million ways it could be better) and the score works wonders. It elevates the film to a level above the Golden Compass in terms of the emotional impact of the film. Particularly the final scene of the movie, without Desplat's ingenious music it would have completely fallen flat and would have been impossible to take seriously, but as it was, the music actually made a completely silly scene emotionally moving.

Desplat wins the Williams / Goldsmith Fantasticest Score for Bad Movie of the Year cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Would be great if somebody dared to watch the film and tell us how the score works in the movie. Volunteers?

I saw the film with some people from work because they invited me (and I don't MIND the series, although there are a million ways it could be better) and the score works wonders. It elevates the film to a level above the Golden Compass in terms of the emotional impact of the film. Particularly the final scene of the movie, without Desplat's ingenious music it would have completely fallen flat and would have been impossible to take seriously, but as it was, the music actually made a completely silly scene emotionally moving.

Desplat wins the Williams / Goldsmith Fantasticest Score for Bad Movie of the Year cool

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, but does it have kazoos?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, but does it have kazoos?

You'll have to wait for the new Powell Brazilian score with that rapper with the silly name (don't all of them have those?) for kazoos!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Powell's doing a Brazilian score!? Holy crap. I did not know this.

I want it. Now.

Though the rapper thing sounds... odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I want it. Now.

Well nobody's sure if it's a score or just songs though...but a rapper called wil.i.am (or something) is truly worrying...he also writes for the black eyed pees which is even more worrying! See the Powell thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    He was the guy that did Madagascar 2 with Hans Zimmer. I quite like that album, even the songs. It's fun.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited
    District 9 - Clinton Shorter

First listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I want it. Now.

Read the John Powell thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    He was the guy that did Madagascar 2 with Hans Zimmer.

oh-oh.... wink

Eric wrote
    District 9 - Clinton Shorter

First listen ...

Waiting for your opinion! Turn the volume up!
  1. Alexandre Desplat - Twilight: New Moon

Just started listening and I already love it - that's my first listen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Twilight: New Moon

The 2nd part and the finale are the better highlights, plus all the reappearances of the main theme.

I LOVE this month! There's a lot of good releases and at last - movement in film music happenings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The 2nd part and the finale are the better highlights, plus all the reappearances of the main theme.

I LOVE this month! There's a lot of good releases and at last - movement in film music happenings!

yeah, specially the highly interesting 9 and 8 minutes tracks tongue

NP:Elisabeth: the Golden Age (Armstrong)

Gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

yeah, specially the highly interesting 9 and 8 minutes tracks tongue

NP:Elisabeth: the Golden Age (Armstrong)

Gorgeous!

Well, they ARE highly interesting, they contain proper thematic and musical development, thus the long duration. But you wouldn't know if you skipped through them wink

As for Elizabeth, i played it 3-4 times i think and can't return to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

Fantastic. One of the scores of the year, no question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

I keep playing it all the time and it's amazing how much i like it with each and every listen. Same goes for Dario Marianelli's Agora. I find it hard to distinguish them in terms of quality..
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

I got the cd more than a week ago but I've lost so much interest in listening to scores that I've not opened it yet. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At first I thought "good, but not great." But I can't stop listening to it. Now I think "great."