• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

NP: Jak and Daxter : The Lost Frontier - James Dooley
    Way better game score. Rambunctious, adventurous and epic at time while using a similar set of tools as in MW2. James Dooley is just getting better and better with each game score that he does.
    I'd recommend the iTunes version. Some of the best part is there.

Is that the 40 minute version?

Yupper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks. And the sound quality is good? Because the first rip was plain awful.

Yeah, I didn't even know that the main titles and opening credits had a synthetic male choir until I listened to the 320kbps version
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    on Call of Duty...I have heard from a reliable source that there is an official download-release scheduled to come out sometime in the next few weeks.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    on Call of Duty...I have heard from a reliable source that there is an official download-release scheduled to come out sometime in the next few weeks.

Nice. I'll definitely have to check it out when it does get released.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Music of Dmitri Shostakovich Vol 1 - Dmitri Shostakovich
    The BBC Philharmonic conducted by Vassily Sinaisky with the Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus

Good lord! shocked The Maxim Trilogy suite, which opens the album, contains some of the finest dramatic symphonic music I've ever heard. Epic in scope but surprisingly tender during such cues as "Death of an Old Worker" with a heartbreaking lonely cello solo that transforms into a most satisfying big, muscular, over the top, melodramatic piece. It's interesting to hear in this suite a few quotes from Shostakovich's own The Unforgettable Year 1919; which is an extraordinary score on its own brilliant recorded by The Moscow Symphony with Adriano conducting for the Naxos label. The highlight for me in this suite is "Struggle At The Barricades" played "allegro con brio." I had to look up what that meant... and "with vigor" is an understatement. The BBC Philharmonic knocked this one out of the park. A spirited and inspired performance of an very impressive and modern sounding cue.

The Maxim Trilogy suite features a style of writing that I love; bold, epic, thematic symphonic music. What a delight.

Up next on this compilation is The Man With A Gun, A Girl Alone and King Lear... it's all new to me.

-Erik-

Erik, just wanted to thank you for highlighting some of these Chandos releases over the last few days - it's been interesting to read and I usually take a listen to some clips. Your "Maxim Trilogy" comments particularly caught my attention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, just wanted to thank you for highlighting some of these Chandos releases over the last few days - it's been interesting to read and I usually take a listen to some clips. Your "Maxim Trilogy" comments particularly caught my attention.

My pleasure! I think re-recordings... especially recordings of older unknown works... are very important. I'm discovering some great music because of Chandos. I would say to those that are turned off by Golden Age material because of the sound quality of the original recordings would do themselves a BIG favour by seeking out these albums. Not just the Chandos albums but the Tribute Film Classic albums, the Intrada recordings, the Varese recordings and of course - the cream de la cream- the Charles Gerhardt recordings.

Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, Alan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

My pleasure! I think re-recordings... especially recordings of older unknown works... are very important. I'm discovering some great music because of Chandos. I would say to those that are turned off by Golden Age material because of the sound quality of the original recordings would do themselves a BIG favour by seeking out these albums. Not just the Chandos albums but the Tribute Film Classic albums, the Intrada recordings, the Varese recordings and of course - the cream de la cream- the Charles Gerhardt recordings.

Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, Alan!

-Erik-

True. Re-recordings bring so much excellent music to the masses, in previously unavailable good sound quality. Always a must.
  2. NP: Golden Mountains / The Maxim Trilogy - Dmitri Shostakovich

Just started listening to these suites from mid-1930's movies - as a result of Erik's comments!

Though I didn't go for the Chandos re-recording. I went for the 1995 Capriccio re-recording featuring Michail Jurowski conducting the Berliner Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Shostak … 5221001272

Purely on the reason that the Chandos version features "excerpts" from The Maxim Trilogy whereas the Capriccio features (I think) the whole suite.

Thanks again, Erik. punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    lp wrote
    NP: Modern Warfare 2 - Lorne Balfe and a bunch of people

I want to like it, but it's too generic that it becomes just musical wallpaper at time. The score fails in the same way that RGW's Modern Combat and Jablonsky/Morris' Tiberium War did. Very driving, growling and pulsating work (somewhat ideal for the game) but they all need more cohesion as a whole, with unifying thematic materials and perspective.

I've been enjoying playing the game... not enjoying it being polluted by such awful "music".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote

I want to like it, but it's too generic that it becomes just musical wallpaper at time. The score fails in the same way that RGW's Modern Combat and Jablonsky/Morris' Tiberium War did. Very driving, growling and pulsating work (somewhat ideal for the game) but they all need more cohesion as a whole, with unifying thematic materials and perspective.

I've been enjoying playing the game... not enjoying it being polluted by such awful "music".

By the sound of the score, i'd assume it fits the game perfectly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote

Oooh!
  3. Ealier today:

"Star Trek 2" (FSM complete release)

How much can one ad? It's still a masterpiece, it's still one of Horner's masterpieces, it's still a hell of a listen no matter how many times you pop it in. And the unreleased cues are enjoyable. I've really grown to like two of them so far (not counting, of course, my love for the "Amazing Grace" take).

Anybody not owning this should snatch it right up. The FSM one, that is -- not the tin-can sounding GNP Records CD. MAstering tech has changed since way back then, and different masters were used, in fact at least two cues sound different in parts to me, like maybe not the same cue takes used on the GNP, in fact it would have to be since one contains a few seconds not on the GNP CD.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - JOHN WILLIAMS

I don't know how many of you here like this score but i do adore this score very much. Very beautiful and haunting! punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    Fahrenheit 451
    Bernard Herrmann

Wonderful themes.
    Herrmann up to his usual tricks.
    The love theme is right on par up there with Vertigo and the like.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote

By the sound of the score, i'd assume it fits the game perfectly?

I too want to like the score because I love the game..but it's just terrible in every single way. Barton's music to the first game was better, and they're both leagues behind RGW's BF Modern Combat score which kicks ass all the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - alien , on Vinyl.

Incredible sound, gripping atmosphere, beautiful textures, darkness. One of the most impressive scores of the genre for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Incredible sound, gripping atmosphere, beautiful textures, darkness. One of the most impressive scores of the genre for sure.

On vinyl????
    shocked But Did you download it? tongue

NP:Chiken Run

In CD!.

Still one of the most impressive scores of the last decades.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

On vinyl????

In CD!.

No, i actually bought the vinyl.
  4. Jordi, how can you download a vinyl??

And of how many decades? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

On vinyl????

In CD!.

No, i actually bought the vinyl.

why?
  5. Because the quality is often better, Jordi. Digital recordings may be safer, but the analog recording still has some kind of undescribable quality. THe fact that you have to put the vinyl in a grammophone with all the rituals also gives you a more personal connection to the music. It's more than a snobbish thing, if that's what you're talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Changed to....

NP:Sinbad (harry Gregson Williams)

There is an addictive main theme. There is my loved lisbeth scott. And there are a couple of vibran action tracks.

What's wrong then? i don't know, but this score never keeped my interest in his whole run. Probably because HGW never put soul in his scores (with few exceptions like Man on fire )

Anyway, Sinbad was composed when HGW was still interesting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

And most of that music isn't even in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because the quality is often better, Jordi. Digital recordings may be safer, but the analog recording still has some kind of undescribable quality. THe fact that you have to put the vinyl in a grammophone with all the rituals also gives you a more personal connection to the music. It's more than a snobbish thing, if that's what you're talking about.

Vinyls are awesome. CDs may have clarity going for them, but have none of the charm of a vinyl. The music is literally imprinted on the surface, you can't store it in a hard drive - I think that's pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because the quality is often better, Jordi. Digital recordings may be safer, but the analog recording still has some kind of undescribable quality. THe fact that you have to put the vinyl in a grammophone with all the rituals also gives you a more personal connection to the music. It's more than a snobbish thing, if that's what you're talking about.

beer

Jordi, these are my reasons:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ps/#Item_1
  6. I need to buy a new grammophone with my dad. While I don't have film score vinyls, I do have some cool albums like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Queen's Greatest Hits II
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great decision. You need advice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - new moon

Melodic and deeply lyrical, this new Deslpat score has it all; emotional fragile main theme, which is a fully developed proper long melody set on-top of a counter-melody which is a 3-note descending motif a la The Thin Red Line, bold epically sounding cues a la The Golden Compass and even James Newton Howard's relevant big tracks, charming waltzes and heartwarming, touching piano pieces, all under permanent grace, melody and elegance. Very excited by this score that marks not only the closure of a greatly rich year for Desplat, but also one of the year's brightest higlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rent-a-Cop - Jerry Goldsmith

Not his finest hour.