• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    NP : NIGHTWING - Henry Mancini

An excellent score and one of my favourite releases of last year. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: I'll Do Anything - Hans Zimmer

One of best early dramedy score from Hans and the first for James L. Brooks. Breezy, jazzy, melodic and thematic and fun. The core ideas are based off many wind instruments, with piano, and various acoustic sounds, over a small string/percussion base, topped with lots of twinkling sounds. Very sweet, affecting music, though not schmaltzy or heavy like Nine Month.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

you have to be in the righ mood for this score...but when you are, it rocks!

Good man. You see how much better this is than Zimmer? tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I eagerly await Jordi's answer biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MALICE - Jerry Goldsmith

I haven't played this one for many years, I only remember not liking it at all so I'm giving it another go now to see if I hear anything I may have missed? It's still not promising so far. slant
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Young)

I like this one, a lot. It's derivative, but of all the right things, and done with great care.

One of the best scores of the year, absolutely beautiful.

It's alright.

EDIT - Ok, it's more than alright. It's actually very well written and showcases Young's diversity as a film composer. To go from Drag Me To Hell to this is quite remarkable. However, I'm not gushing about this score like others are but it is "pretty" and quite enjoyable. BTW, it's interesting and yet very disturbing to hear a tip of the cap to James Horner and his Sneakers version of the four note danger motif. Argh!

-Erik-

That is an odd moment where Young turns into Horner for a second at the start of the final track.
    Young has always been pretty good at temp track stuff though. Maybe IRIS was part of the temp?
    I like that there's 4 themes or so, used pretty well to tell the story. I'm not sure what the story is, but it sounds like there's a story in the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm listening to a trilogy of brilliant film noir scores.

I'm starting with Leonard Bernstein's influential On The Waterfront then moving onto Mark Isham's fantastic The Black Dahlia and finishing everything off with Jerry Goldsmith's superb L.A. Confidential. What an incredible trio of scores!

I didn't get a chance to finish this yesterday. I'm currently spinning The Black Dahlia Outstanding!

-Erik-

The Black Dahlia is indeed outstanding indeed. If one listens carefully and analyzes, they will most likely arrive to the conclusion that it's not being paid the attention it so rightfully deserves.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Young)

I like this one, a lot. It's derivative, but of all the right things, and done with great care.

One of the best scores of the year, absolutely beautiful.

It's alright.

EDIT - Ok, it's more than alright. It's actually very well written and showcases Young's diversity as a film composer. To go from Drag Me To Hell to this is quite remarkable. However, I'm not gushing about this score like others are but it is "pretty" and quite enjoyable. BTW, it's interesting and yet very disturbing to hear a tip of the cap to James Horner and his Sneakers version of the four note danger motif. Argh!

-Erik-

That is an odd moment where Young turns into Horner for a second at the start of the final track.
    Young has always been pretty good at temp track stuff though. Maybe IRIS was part of the temp?
    I like that there's 4 themes or so, used pretty well to tell the story. I'm not sure what the story is, but it sounds like there's a story in the music.

I think it's evident that THE VILLAGE was the temp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Didn't Christopher Young's score to THE GIFT (written before The Village) sound a bit like this... maybe more twangy? Anyway, besides the violin soli, which could also come from something like IRIS, sounds more like Horner then is does Newton Howard. Actually, his isn't anything new as Horner's work and style has leaked into many o' Young scores. And there are classical influences as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Didn't Christopher Young's score to THE GIFT (written before The Village) sound a bit like this... maybe more twangy? Anyway, besides the violin soli, which could also come from something like IRIS, sounds more like Horner then is does Newton Howard. Actually, his isn't anything new as Horner's work and style has leaked into many o' Young scores. And there are classical influences as well.

-Erik-

I don't know THE GIFT, so I'll have to take your word for it.
    There's a track from THE VILLAGE which was probably in the temp -- the theme you hear in 'Creation' has some strong similarities outside of the melody that usually indicate temp. It's reasonably well disguised, mind you.
    Arvo Part's 'Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten' is there. (and acknowledged)
    The Horner touches are more little style things, and they're definitely Horner, but strange to hear here.
    I'm certain I've heard the rhythmic idea in the second last track before as well... the second half of the cue is sort of halfway between Williams and Desplat, and closer to Williams at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The part is acknowledged indeed. Only it's not just partly Part wink
  3. It's about 60% Part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Christopher Gunning influence is also acknowledged.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Through the track title too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Through the track title too?

Track 4 - "Cunning Gunning."

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah, what score is that? It's clearly Young's melody floating through it (which you hear in the track earlier on the album), so I gather the rest is Gunning?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah, what score is that? It's clearly Young's melody floating through it (which you hear in the track earlier on the album), so I gather the rest is Gunning?

I thought it was just one of Young's jokes, that one (see past scores of his where he's inserted other film composers' names in track titles, not because of any musical influence, just as a joke).

For me the most obvious influence in Creation (other than the Part, obviously) is Horner's. The JNH thing is there and maybe it's the most famous film score that's used that style but it's not not a sound he invented in The Village and Erik was right to say Young himself had done it before. (It's hard to argue with Franz's reasoning for it probably being the temp-track, though - the melodic similarity is with JNH and not The Gift.)
  5. What about the 'Knowing Everything I Know' track... this is the second last one. At times I think Desplat, at times Williams, and maybe even a bit of Horner (?)... where have I heard that rhythmic figure before underneath a string solo?

NP: Merlin (Jones)

I have forgotten Trevor Jones. I really shouldn't have. He's good value. This and Dinotopia are very strong TV miniseries scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    Timmer wrote

I haven't played this one for many years, I only remember not liking it at all so I'm giving it another go now to see if I hear anything I may have missed? It's still not promising so far. slant

Still don't like it!

I rarely see this one mentioned and was wondering if anyone has a possitive opinion on it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Still don't like it!

I rarely see this one mentioned and was wondering if anyone has a possitive opinion on it?

I always past on it when I saw it at the record store. I still don't have it! What's it like?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Still don't like it!

I always past on it when I saw it at the record store. I still don't have it! What's it like?

-Erik-

A bit like a cheaper, worse Basic Instinct. There's a lovely lullaby main theme but the rest is rather uninspired standard action/thriller stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    UP - Michael Giacchino

I think i have started to fall in love with this score. Very nice score from Michael Giacchino. I personally think he certainly deserved to win Golden Globe Award. Well done! punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Still don't like it!

-Erik-

A bit like a cheaper, worse Basic Instinct. There's a lovely lullaby main theme but the rest is rather uninspired standard action/thriller stuff.

What James said. It's a very weak score padded out with synths.
  6. NP: 'Neo Miraculous' by Don Davis... Matrix Reloaded.

Wonderful. Incredible.
  7. NP: 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' from the same score as above

Great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' from the same score as above

Great.

I think it has aged VERY fast, specially when compared to other composer´s (like Brian Tyler) works where the mix of electronics and orchestra are much better. I played it the other day (that mona Lisa cue) and it is really simple and verging on a simple disco tune. It reminded me of those former Zimmer works that I loved at the time but are totally dated now and are unbearable to my ears.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    UP - Michael Giacchino

I think i have started to fall in love with this score. Very nice score from Michael Giacchino. I personally think he certainly deserved to win Golden Globe Award. Well done! punk

A rubbish score. Avatar deserved to win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't think it's rubbish but it certainly failed to grab my attention on every level while Avatar succeeded in "touching" me. For me, Avatar is a much better score.
  8. The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

There are some gorgeous cues in this score. Very similar in sound to other beautiful scores he's written, but that's no bad thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    CHRISTOPHER GORDON - Mao's Last Dancer

What an incredibly beautiful musical work this is...i doubt anyone would call "Dance of Longing" or "The consulate" or "Pas de deux"and the orchestral hymn "Break up and reunion"- just to name but a few examples in an overall impressive work, anything short but great. He's comfortably ahead of the majority in the genre today and what sets him apart is the use of instrumentation as well as the absolute mastery of melody in his score. His a real musician in all essence.