• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    NP: Melbourne 2006: XVIII Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony - Christopher Gordon

Brilliant stuff. Certainly puts you in a good mood.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of my favourite 'scores' ever. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    One of my favourite 'scores' ever. punk

Indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. wrong thread!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    wrong thread!

Indeed! Some of us actually post and read Off Topic NP's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP The Hurt Locker (Marco Beltrami)

Difficult, very difficult to listen to this one. Dark, dissonant, atmospheric,....one of these releases I can´t understand.

I haven't heard it yet, but one could say the same about BRIAN TYLER's The killing room, i suppose?

No, not at all. The Hurt Locker is extremely atmospheric. Not a single melody.

I'm sure it's only job is to support the images on screen, but then The Killing Room seems to do it better
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: Coraline by Bruno Coulais

while it is amazingly inventive and original to listen to, loving the material is another matter. Some things I really loved instantly, most of it didn't win me over yet
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Coraline by Bruno Coulais

while it is amazingly inventive and original to listen to, loving the material is another matter. Some things I really loved instantly, most of it didn't win me over yet

Absolutely love it! The film's real magic too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    wrong thread!

Indeed! Some of us actually post and read Off Topic NP's.

There's a thread on Off Topic NPs?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Voyages: The Film Music Journeys of Alan Silvestri

This wonderful compilation should be in every film score fan's collection. Why? Because it features the absolute best of Silvestri's memorable themes from the more famous adventure films to lesser known comedies out there, up until 1995. Forrest Gump is a suite especially made for this album and is of course great, Father of the Bride is the composer in typical but oh so cheerful comedy mode, Back to the Future III needs no introduction, followed by Ricochet which cue is rather average but still fun. What follows is some of the most creative early Silvestri: The Quick and the Dead theme which is his superb western approach, the wildly thematic Richie Rich, the cool beats and saxophone sound of Romancing the Stone, followed by the ultra fun mambo-style grooves of Soapdish. After that a brilliant and lengthy suite from Who Framed Roger Rabbit that always puts a huge smile on my face. The Abyss is next with of course the most memorable moment of that score, Clan of the Cave Bear is a charming oddity in the Silvestri canon, followed by yet more wacky goofiness in Death Becomes Her and closing the album is the awesome finale from Predator 2.

For 2010 I want Voyages II with more Silvestri goodies from the last 15 years. C'mon Varese you know you want to make it !!! I'd buy it in an instant, no doubt about that...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Voyages: The Film Music Journeys of Alan Silvestri

Forrest Gump is a suite especially made for this album and is of course great,

Actually, the Forrest Gump suite comes from Varese's Hollywood '94 album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : NO MAN'S LAND - Basil Poledouris

A totally 80's synth score but it's not that bad at all, great main theme and love the rock track The Chase.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : POLTERGEIST - Jerry Goldsmith

Class! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Mr. Majestyk - Charles Bernstein

This is a first rate score with a Hispanic flavor , beautiful , action packed and funky ...
    The 'Main Title' is very catchy and carries a beautiful trumpet solo .
    A must buy in my book - but you can't anymore because it sold out very quickly ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: AVATAR - James Horner

Let's give it another try..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Voyages: The Film Music Journeys of Alan Silvestri

Forrest Gump is a suite especially made for this album and is of course great,

Actually, the Forrest Gump suite comes from Varese's Hollywood '94 album.

-Erik-

Little silly me! Thanks for clearing that up. smile

Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

-Erik-

Bless the day that little green man invaded our minds and stayed there ever since.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. NP: The Road (Cave / Ellis)

I don't quite like it as much as Assassination of Jesse James at the Box Office by Virtue of Having a Really Bloody Long Title, by the same composers, but the gentle stuff here is lovely. I suspect the overlap of 'The Road' theme with Part's Spiegel im Spiegel is just one of those chord progressions that's easy to stumble onto. Sometimes it sounds like a composer is lifting it from a temp track (e.g. Sakamoto's Silk, Desplat's Et Apres), here it just sounds like Cave/Ellis re-invented the wheel.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Road (Cave / Ellis)

I don't quite like it as much as Assassination of Jesse James at the Box Office by Virtue of Having a Really Bloody Long Title

biggrin

Line of the week.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Roar! from Cloverfield Michael Giacchino

I love the brass in this cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Roar! from Cloverfield Michael Giacchino

I love the brass in this cue.

A fantastic piece for sure and a great homage to Ifukube.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AMERICANS - John Barry

Yeap! Not a soundtrack, but it's flaming brilliant! Along with Horner's Star Trek II this is the best re-release of 2009.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Steven wrote
    Daybreakers Christopher Gordon

I don't think this will be for everyone (then again, what is?), but especially as a Gordon fan, I'm finding a lot here worthy of repeat listens! Something I'm sure I'll listen to many times when I'm in the mood for something dark. And I love the Rugby World Cup percussion! I'm looking forward to hearing it in the film.

I think what really makes the score work is near the end of the film (the album runs in chronological order) -- the end credits suite (entitled "Daybreak") encompasses a lot of good stuff represented in the film but I think the album itself is a solid listen. It's quite refreshing to hear an entirely orchestral score for a recent big-studio horror movie.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Once Upon A Forest - James Horner

Gorgeous stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Road (Cave / Ellis)

I don't quite like it as much as Assassination of Jesse James at the Box Office by Virtue of Having a Really Bloody Long Title, by the same composers, but the gentle stuff here is lovely. I suspect the overlap of 'The Road' theme with Part's Spiegel im Spiegel is just one of those chord progressions that's easy to stumble onto. Sometimes it sounds like a composer is lifting it from a temp track (e.g. Sakamoto's Silk, Desplat's Et Apres), here it just sounds like Cave/Ellis re-invented the wheel.

Whataver goes on in their works, they're always very fresh, inventive and genuine musicians, such traits ROADS shares once again. I, for one, am always looking forward to more work from the team.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: A Beautiful Mind - James Horner

Since this is music for a film about mathematics/academia, I'm hoping it will encourage me to do (ie. distract me from doing) some revision today.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    NP:Star Trek (Giacchino)

What can I say about this score?

it's not a perfect score. it's not Giacchino best action music either. but the main theme, and Nero's theme (wich is not used enough) are highly addictive. So the score it's highly addictive too.

I love the mystical sound of the "overture". i want more of it too!

Does anyone notice the Williams-esque music in "big jump" from the expanded score (how this things came up?) ? it reminds me Horner's train.

I can't wait for the sequel!

PS: I still don't like how fits "labor of love" in the movie. but it's beautiful piece for a Lost episode tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek (Giacchino)
    Does anyone notice the Williams-esque music in "big jump" from the expanded score (how this things came up?) ? it reminds me Horner's train.

Horner?! But I thought it reminded you of Williams? dizzy

Nautilus wrote
    PS: I still don't like how fits "labor of love" in the movie. but it's beautiful piece for a Lost episode tongue

The best marriage of music and visuals in film last year... with a close second being "Married Life" from Up.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: 2006 Commonwealth Games and The Rugby World Cup - Christopher Gordon

Two of my all time favorites scores!

-Erik-