• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Walking With Beasts Bejamin Bartlett

This is good. VERY good.

I read "Walking with Breasts"

I need help.

So do I whenever Timmer posts it. shame
  1. Superman: The Movie (by one of the all-time greats !!!!)

Fantastic, utterly sublime score. From the first minute this score grabs me by the throat and doesn't let go for its entire 2-hour run. When that terrific march comes blasting through the speakers, I'm right up there with The Supes, soaring and cheering along. Besides the legendary themes, this score also has some of the most brilliant underscore, to the point it really isn't underscore anymore but music that lives and breathes all the way through the film, and perfectly accompanies what's happening on screen, and how it's integral to the evolving characters. Williams' score, simply put is another unforgettable character in the film and I don't know where I'd be if somehow this music got erased from memory and by some unfortunate alternate reality mix-up we ended up with the score from Superman III as this film's soundtrack. God knows we should be lucky it didn't turn out that way. beer

Somehow this provides this more emotional satisfaction for me than any other masterpiece he composed during those 6 fantastic years (1977-1983).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not surprised with a love theme as good as the one Williams wrote for that film. Still, the most emotional score from that period is, for me, without a doubt ET.
  2. Not only the love theme but the choral music during the Krypton sequence is incredibly haunting and never fails to give me goosebumps, also 'Leaving Home' is such a grand sounding and undeniable classic, one of my favourite from Williams.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Not only the love theme but the choral music during the Krypton sequence is incredibly haunting and never fails to give me goosebumps, also 'Leaving Home' is such a grand sounding and undeniable classic, one of my favourite from Williams.

There are some composers whom in their entire career so far, have not written one piece as good as many of the cues in this great score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. TIM, THAT IS A FACT THAT I SIMPLY CANNOT DISAGREE WITH !!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited
    NP: The Last Samurai ~ Hans Zimmer

It's very clearly structured, with as strong theme but I mostly like the lyrical instances and the incorporation of eastern elements in what is to me one of Zimmer's best moments.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Random - EVERYONE

The End Credits cue from Lady In The Water came on. What a track! That's got to be one of JHN's best. A shame it doesn't appear anywhere else in the score and how it doesn't climax, instead just ending rather suddenly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPIES LIKE US - Elmer Bernstein

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. What's it like? Been curious enough to the point I even considered watching the movie.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Small Soldiers (Mike Giacchino)

After the maestro Williams comes his closest mimicker, well it was so during his game years, and I'd like to think that here, even before MOH, his talent for building cues to their own brilliant mini-climaxes is ever so present. This ALWAYS gets my blood pumping !!!! What Giacchino did here with the male chorus and the use of percussion is nothing short of genius. The icing on the cake are the superb themes which get many fun variations. While I love Jerry's take on the whole Gorgonite vs Commando Elite conflict, this is different but just as good, fun being the keyword here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Atlantis (Academy Promo) - JNH

Been listening to this one again. This Academy promo does make for a more rounded listening experience. However, the noted Dogfight cue is a bit disappointing in how it's just a rearrangement/reedited version of the Leviathan battle cue (Unless I've gotten a crappy version...), with extended (Excellent) brassy action in the latter half. The End Credit cue recapitulation of the Crystal Chamber cue is a nice touch. A solid score just gotten better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Walking With Beasts Bejamin Bartlett

This is good. VERY good.

punk beer

Saves me sending it to you now wink

'Battle of the Salt Plains' is a very powerful track. Might not be the most original in terms of the chord structure and the melody, but it's bloody good! (What some might describe as "Zimmery", even though Zimmer really had nothing to do with the creation of that kind of music - he's just used it a lot during his career.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would say it's John Williams'ish too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    We have a young and upcoming comedian among us.

Is it? amazing to know about this. By the way, is that you? biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Il deserto dei tartari - Ennio Morricone

The first track I heard from this score was an atonal one in a Morricone concert in 2002. So I didn't really care of this album. But later on I heard the main theme which is wonderful and decided to give it a try. It was worth it because this score has such amazing melodies.
    What I still don't understand is why Morricone chose to play an atonal track in the concert when he could have choose 5-6 very nice tracks instead. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky, indeed, this score is both a dream and a nightmare for melody lovers. It has some very difficult dissonance, and some extraordinary melodies. The opening theme is grand and a real goody of course, but the theme first heard in "Proposta" is one of my all-time favourite Morricone themes. My favourite rendition is "Le stagioni, gli anni" (despite the poor sound quality of this track), but the piano solo (La casa e la giovinezza) is also magnificant. The piece "La cena degli ufficiali" is brilliant. I don't know what style it is, some kind of folk dance thing, but what a wonderful listen.

It's a mystery indeed why he always plays the dissonance from this score in concerts. I'd give anything to hear a live performance of "Le stagioni, gli anni". I think the reason is that he wants to be taken seriously, and he feels that melody is too easy and cheap to come by. It's ironic that the greatest master of melodies in the world, has such a love for dissonance.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - creation

Utterly beautiful, this THE VILLAGE influenced work is both perhaps his most mature work to date (although i can see how fans of his horror / jazz scores won't be interested) but also and very importantly, a particularly sattisfying listening experience on album. The last piece is very powerful too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - creation

I'm looking forward to hearing this when it finally becomes available.

You can't go wrong with a bit of Chris Young.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Please Timmer.....I want to listen a score about heaven and hell from a German composer...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Only if he is german-born, british raised.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited

Just another listen, nope, still doesn't set me on fire... WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with me? I used to be a huge fan of the Horner, I still adore his better 80s and 90s stuff, but this is just not of the same quality. Does anyone else find the mix on the album to be totally underwhelming? I mean if I compare that to the sheer power of say Braveheart, or Krull (but that is like the total badass end of the orchestral power spectrum), Avatar's mix is just not in the same league, not even close. And the synthesized choir could've been omitted as it doesn't gel well with the ethnic sounding stuff. In Titanic it didn't bother me, but here it does.

I do like some of the tracks though and the main theme is glorious and memorable, but most of the album just flies by me without me raising my head. I could even go as far and say some parts are boring. Even the recent 'Boy With the Striped Pyjamas' is more emotionally engaging. Maybe I'm just getting tired to his same old tricks. Or maybe I'm just plain insane... crazy

I'll just stop posting about this score now, because my opinion of it is still the same: better than average, but ultimately a letdown. If my opinion changes in the future I'll say so (only time will tell). Not that any of you care what I think about it. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Just another listen, nope, still doesn't set me on fire... WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with me? :

Nothing is wrong with you. probably you are the smartest guy, here.

SAY NO to re-used themes and motifs.

(but I like this score too tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

If that's your new outlook then your lack of listening to a certain German-born composer will be continuing for a long time to come!
  7. Nautilus wrote
    probably you are the smartest guy, here.

I highly doubt that... but thanks. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If that's your new outlook then your lack of listening to a certain German-born composer will be continuing for a long time to come!

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah... that's what happens with limited composers. In fact, it's have been long time since I listened some piece composed by Wagner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Well, I actually blackmailed someone for this. (I came across some incriminating evidence in the form of a photo... seriously, he was sitting there outside in the snow with a glass of port half NAKED! I've said too much already.)

Ahem.
    Yes.
    Well.

Dunno whatch mean.

shame

Oh. And it was actually a campari cocktail lick christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    'Battle of the Salt Plains' is a very powerful track. [/small]

If memory serves that's the attack of the allosaurs on the diplodoci. Pretty impressive scene!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    'Battle of the Salt Plains' is a very powerful track. [/small]

If memory serves that's the attack of the allosaurs on the diplodoci. Pretty impressive scene!

You're spot on! beer