• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    On a funny side-note, the Arvo Part quoting piece is aptly entitled "Partly Part" smile

Typical young. smile

This piece is a variation on the ever-popular 'Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten', at least until the final minute or so, when it goes in one of Young's beautiful themes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    NP: Robin Hood Prince of Thives ~ Michael Kamen

Good morning everyone! I love this score! I woke up with the main theme in my mind! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. NP: Creation (Christopher Young)

I'm rather partial to The Village, so to hear someone with Young's skills operate in that vein makes for a great, gentle album to my ears. His finest music to date, to my tastes.

And now for ... "Sinnerman" (Nina Simone)... because it's so damn catchy...
  3. NP: That Championship Season by Bill Conti

Gentle, but kinda boring. It's hard to stay focused to it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Christopher Young)

I'm rather partial to The Village, so to hear someone with Young's skills operate in that vein makes for a great, gentle album to my ears. His finest music to date, to my tastes.

I have yet to hear CREATION, but is it comparable to his MURDER IN THE FIRST?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

A very subtle dig at JNH! biggrin

I don't think there's anything quite as good as the theme from The Village though. In fact, I know there isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think The Imperial March with choir comes close...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Heavy Metal (Bernstein)

What a dissapointment...It doesn't have electric guitars biggrin

I'm just Kidding, dude!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quite.

Anyway...

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan James Horner

Subtlety be damned! I need something energetic to write this essay to... which is on film music of all things (something I'm rather partial to, believe it or not).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure it'll be far less riveting than my fascinating epic thesis on migration management.
    cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I bet that took a lot of port to finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Finished?
    Who's finished (on my seventh cup of coffee now. Second bottle of cola. And still may miles to go before I sleep...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Bee Movie - Harry's brother

Barry Flies Out and Land That Plane is now one of my "flying music" playlist! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. You could say Harry's Mini-Me
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    LOL biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Today's listening so far:

Innerspace - Jerry Goldsmith

Decent score ruined by the album presentation. Why would anyone want to listen to 80 minutes of it?

Daybreakers - Christopher Gordon

Impressive music which requires a little more concentration than I was able to give it. Look forward to exploring it further.

Honey I Blew Up the Kid - Bruce Broughton

The best kind of mickey-mousing, tuneful and attractive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

I liked it on my first listen, but now that it's had time to grow on me and I've seen the film twice, this is most definitely a top three score of last year. I can't really decide on a rating for it, but all I know is that I love it and want MORE. I hope a complete scores gets released, even if it's just a promo or bootleg.

I'd say at the moment this, Star Trek and Un Homme Et Son Chien look to be my favourite scores from 2009.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited

I'm bored by it. Sure, it's got chorus, pounding percussion and blaring trumpets but its rather empty emotionally. I don't feel anything when I listen to it. It's pretty ordinary action material especially from Horner... a guy who gave us the extraordinary "The Train" from Legend of Zorro or "Escape" from The Four Feathers. Give me something along those line rather then the bland, soulless action cue that is "War.". I'm actually far more interested in "The Destruction of Hometree" which has a better emotional punch. BTW, there is something not right about the way the choir sounds. Are they live or are they something along the lines of East West Symphonic Choirs?

Anywho, solid album... I will give Horner that... but a fairly average Horner score. It's a 3 out of 5 stars effort for me which is very disappointing especially for the sheer amount of time Horner had to come up with this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer the bold thematic statements and more emotional material from AVATAR too. War's a good track, but it's not like it's film music at its finest either smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whether he had one year or ten years to come up with this score is beside the point for me: it sounds good and I love it. And I think War is one of the best cues of 2009.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Whether he had one year or ten years to come up with this score is beside the point for me: it sounds good and I love it. And I think War is one of the best cues of 2009.

That's all that matters then doesn't it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All this talk, I might as well....

NP : AVATAR - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

That's all that matters then doesn't it!

-Erik-

My opinion? Yeah. Damn straight. biggrin

I'll admit, a year to come up with the Four Note Danger Motif YET AGAIN is pushing it, but regardless I still thoroughly enjoy the whole score.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

While Listening to those magnificent action tracks from this soundtrack I can Understand why someone can neglected track like War from Avatar. Anyway, back to Perfect Storm - This Is pure James Horner at His Best.

cool
  5. NP: Stan Helsing by Ryan Shore

sad to see someone with the talent of Shore trying to make the most of this score. The fact it's synthesized doesn't help either. Stick with Jack Brooks if you fancy better orchestral action / horror music
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

A very subtle dig at JNH! biggrin

I don't think there's anything quite as good as the theme from The Village though. In fact, I know there isn't.

It wasn't meant as a dig at JNH, actually. (Who can be VERY good.) It was meant as a remark of praise to Young!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JNH IS very good. And such scores, by such composers are the proof he's influential too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I have yet to hear CREATION, but is it comparable to his MURDER IN THE FIRST?

I wouldn't compare it to MURDER IN THE FIRST, no. Those weary string lines are nowhere to be heard.