• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Christopher Young)

I'm rather partial to The Village, so to hear someone with Young's skills operate in that vein makes for a great, gentle album to my ears. His finest music to date, to my tastes.

I have yet to hear CREATION, but is it comparable to his MURDER IN THE FIRST?

I wouldn't compare it to MURDER IN THE FIRST, no. Those weary string lines are nowhere to be heard.

Indeed. The comparison is with VILLAGE, and some of the elements of The shipping news and sweet november.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Roy wrote
    THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

While Listening to those magnificent action tracks from this soundtrack I can Understand why someone can neglected track like War from Avatar. Anyway, back to Perfect Storm - This Is pure James Horner at His Best.

cool

As far as his latter-career style goes, it certainly is Horner at his best! One of my top scores. beer
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Steven wrote
    Roy wrote
    THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

While Listening to those magnificent action tracks from this soundtrack I can Understand why someone can neglected track like War from Avatar. Anyway, back to Perfect Storm - This Is pure James Horner at His Best.

cool

As far as his latter-career style goes, it certainly is Horner at his best! One of my top scores. beer

I for One don't differential in terms od quality Horner's carrer for old-better and later worse.
  1. There was a slight stylistic change, without judgin, it's less adventurous and dramatic and more atmospheric/restrained/dramatic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Yeah, that's something I guess All agree, stylistic changes are what most composers going through...
  2. Yes, I don't think Horner would write The New World in the 80s.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Yes, He wouldn't but He back then started to work on it while writing The Journey Of Natty Gann, for instance wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    Roy wrote

I for One don't differential in terms od quality Horner's carrer for old-better and later worse.

I'm not saying one style is greater or lesser, but simply acknowledging the fact that there's an "old" Horner sound and a "new" Horner sound. We wouldn't hear anything like The Perfect Storm in the 80s, and we won't get another Krull.

(I've put this in small font because it's more than likely a worn-out topic. wink)
  3. Just finished the LLLR "Innerspace" release. Score might not be for everybody, but it's been a favorite of mine, and needless to say I was excited when it got released. I skip the "Main Title" everytime, because it's got this synth sound that's horribly annoying and out of place, and for some terrible unknown reason, Jerry just keep repeating it over & over again throughout the entire cue!

Moved on to Intrada Records 2CD of "In Search of Peace" (Lee Holdridge).

A very good score. It's totally out of left feild for those who have heard only a small amount of Holdridge. This large scale, lush orchestra (with choir) shows a side I bet some of you don't know of this composer; I know I sure didn't.

The main theme of the score sounds very, very familiar (I said in another post, I think at the Intrada message board, it came from a secondary theme from "The Mission", but I am second guessing that now, though there is a percussion line used a couple times, that IS a direct lift from that Morricone score), and it's used many times. A very good score -- seek this out if you don't have it. Sold out, sadly, so you'll have to pay, though I believe ScreenArchives.com still has it on a "Limit One Per Customer" rule.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    All this talk, I might as well....

NP : AVATAR - James Horner

cool

dizzy vomit
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    confused

What's the problem now??
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm bored by it. Sure, it's got chorus, pounding percussion and blaring trumpets but its rather empty emotionally. I don't feel anything when I listen to it. It's pretty ordinary action material especially from Horner... a guy who gave us the extraordinary "The Train" from Legend of Zorro or "Escape" from The Four Feathers. Give me something along those line rather then the bland, soulless action cue that is "War.". I'm actually far more interested in "The Destruction of Hometree" which has a better emotional punch. BTW, there is something not right about the way the choir sounds. Are they live or are they something along the lines of East West Symphonic Choirs?

Anywho, solid album... I will give Horner that... but a fairly average Horner score. It's a 3 out of 5 stars effort for me which is very disappointing especially for the sheer amount of time Horner had to come up with this.

-Erik-

Well, Erik, that's very coherent. Because While "destruction of the hometree" is very Hornerish, "War" is not.

I enjoy "War" in the same way I enjoy some RC action scoring. Because it's big and Heroic, but for sure this track it lacks of the complexity that I love from Horner.

NP:Stealing Enterprise from Star Trek III

I looooooooooooooove this track! Easaly one of Horner greatest cues.

I never liked very much his ST theme, but in this track he arrange it in a very cool way.

Horner and his fanfarres = punk punk punk punk

PS:DOes anyone notice some "instrument" that will be used in Southampton in Titanic? A kind of Harp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Anthony wrote
    confused

What's the problem now??

YOU. biggrin bounce
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    We have a young and upcoming comedian among us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Walking With Beasts Bejamin Bartlett

This is good. VERY good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

punk beer

Saves me sending it to you now wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, I actually blackmailed someone for this. (I came across some incriminating evidence in the form of a photo... seriously, he was sitting there outside in the snow with a glass of port half NAKED! I've said too much already.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn it! I think I missed a trick there!? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A dick you mean. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played some older stuff :

Dragonheart - Randy Edelman

The best Edelman score up to date. I Have had it for about 10 years but I still enjoy it very much. Beautiful melodies and great action tracks with some additional funny music. Superb!

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

I can say the same about it as the above comment. I don't know why I don't play it more often. Great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote

The best Edelman score up to date.

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

I can say the same about it as the above comment. I don't know why I don't play it more often. Great!

Yeap. I do think Backdraft is the best Edelman score to date.

NP:The haunting (goldsmith)

haunting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

haunting.

Well, you know that I meant the second part of my comment. Naughty boy! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

haunting.

Jordi sails close to the wind. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

haunting.

Jordi sails close to the wind. wink

It's very easy with jerry, John (the oldest and the youngest one), Michael... wink

Sadly Demetris and James really tempted me with his commentaries. "I don't think now is the best time" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I read "Walking with Breasts"

I need help.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I need help.

You do.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I need help.

You do.

ahahahaha....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I need help.

You do.

ahahahaha....

You too.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I need help.

You do.

ahahahaha....

You too.

Tender Cousins... tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

This is good. VERY good.

I need help.

Get surgery! Moobs are no good.