• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek (Giacchino)
    Does anyone notice the Williams-esque music in "big jump" from the expanded score (how this things came up?) ? it reminds me Horner's train.

Horner?! But I thought it reminded you of Williams? dizzy

-Erik-

I want to see this Erik more often...
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Erik Woods wrote

The best marriage of music and visuals in the film last year... with a close second being "Married Life" from Up.

-Erik-

those two... agreed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Blob - Michael Hoenig

A mostly electronic score that does the trick in the movie but isn't an easy listening experience on CD .
    Not for everybody I should say ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Last Rites - Bruce Broughton

A very mixed bag. Some outstanding cues, some real dross.
  1. Nautilus wrote
    it reminds me Horner's train.

Wait ... Horner has a train? Outlandish I tell ya -- outlandish!

Does he have Tony Hinnigan playing the whistle, and the horn blowing the danger motif?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: 2006 Commonwealth Games and The Rugby World Cup - Christopher Gordon

Two of my all time favorites scores!

-Erik-

Steven will be in love with you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: 2006 Commonwealth Games and The Rugby World Cup - Christopher Gordon

Two of my all time favorites scores!

-Erik-

Steven will be in love with you.

Then you must have already missed the mutual appreciation months ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    IN LOVE is a step forward. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You can be best oil boy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: F91 Gundam - Satoshi Kadokura

As with other Gundam scores, from before the new millenium, it's mostly orchestral, with some very pretty cues, and some synth work. There's a track that rips the Empire theme from Star Wars but that's fine since they don't focus on it. Lots of melodic stuff in here, and they're very nice and all, but it's been done better before and after this score. In short, I like it, but don't love it like with other Gundam scores, like Turn A or Zeta Gundam/CCC or Gundam Wing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    NP: Of Mice and Men/ Our Town - Aaron Copland

This is a new recording of a score that I completely unfamiliar with. It's available as a download only from Naxos and will be available on CD later in the year. So far I like what I'm hearing featuring the Bohuslav Martinu Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Andrew Mogrelia. Read an excellent review of this recording HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    NP: The Avengers - Joel McNeely

Every time a track from this score pops up while shuffling through my iPod I try to make a mental note to revisit this score. I can't believe that this score was a last minute replacement. It's just way too good. This along with Bruce Broughton's Lost In Space and Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown are some of the impressive replacement scores I've ever heard. I can't believe that these composers had so little time to come up with the themes they did and write such detailed and complex orchestrations to go along with it.

I've been a McNeely fan for a very long time and his style is a wonderful mix of Goldsmithian rhythms (and electronics) with Williamsesque themes and orchestrations. For those that were ever wondering what would happen if Williams and Goldsmith collaborated on a project together... well, may I present to you Joel McNeely.

Back to The Avengers. The film is tripe so that's what make this effort by McNeely that much more impressive. The main theme is superb. An airy whistle over sexy strings with a techno back beat. Great stuff! The score is highlighted by two dynamite action cues in the middle of the album; "Chasing Teddy Bears" and "Flight of the Mechanical Bees." The latter brilliantly references "Flight of the Bumblebees" by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov without completely ripping it off. The cue rips along at the same breakneck speed as Williams' "Mine Car Chase" in Temple of Doom. The orchestra surely had fun with this one. Shawn Murphy should also be commended for his punchy and vibrant recording!

This is a great action score brimming with themes; each major character gets one. Too bad the label (Compass III which then became Chapter III and then filed for Chapter 3) is no longer around making this album a difficult find. If you do find I highly recommend you pick it up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Every time a track from this score pops up while shuffling through my iPod I try to make a mental note to revisit this score. I can't believe that this score was a last minute replacement. It's just way too good. This along with Bruce Broughton's Lost In Space and Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown are some of the impressive replacement scores I've ever heard. I can't believe that these composers had so little time to come up with the themes they did and write such detailed and complex orchestrations to go along with it.

I've been a McNeely fan for a very long time and his style is a wonderful mix of Goldsmithian rhythms (and electronics) with Williamsesque themes and orchestrations. For those that were ever wondering what would happen if Williams and Goldsmith collaborated on a project together... well, may I present to you Joel McNeely.

Back to The Avengers. The film is tripe so that's what make this effort by McNeely that much more impressive. The main theme is superb. An airy whistle over sexy strings with a techno back beat. Great stuff! The score is highlighted by two dynamite action cues in the middle of the album; "Chasing Teddy Bears" and "Flight of the Mechanical Bees." The latter brilliantly references "Flight of the Bumblebees" by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov without completely ripping it off. The cue rips along at the same breakneck speed as Williams' "Mine Car Chase" in Temple of Doom. The orchestra surely had fun with this one. Shawn Murphy should also be commended for his punchy and vibrant recording!

This is a great action score brimming with themes; each major character gets one. Too bad the label (Compass III which then became Chapter III and then filed for Chapter 3) is no longer around making this album a difficult find. If you do find I highly recommend you pick it up!

-Erik-

I totally agree with you Erik and I'm so glad I picked this album up at the time of the film ( having never heard it ), it's excellent! I saw the film later, IT'S PANTS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    IT'S PANTS!

That statement never fails to make me laugh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Freud - Jerry Goldsmith

I can understand why it may not be for everyone but for me it's an important piece in Goldsmith's vast canon.
    I appreciate it's dark, eerie, unnerving tone. The orchestration is often quite complex, textured and very creative.
    The sound quality is vastly improved on the new Varese Sarabande release. And the previously unreleased tracks offer new treasures to explore.
    The only oddity about this new release is the omission of the last 40 seconds of "Desperate Case". Many would remember its infamous use in Alien when Dalas comes across the creature in the shaft. The cue on this release changes direction and plays out with a swirling figure for strings. I don't mind the change but would have appreciated the original final build up of the cue included somewhere on the album.
    But that aside it's a great release that once again proves the immense talent Goldsmith has always possessed in his early years.
  2. NP: Creation (Young)

I like this one, a lot. It's derivative, but of all the right things, and done with great care.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthoradam
    For some reason, Jurassic Park
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    I'm listening to a trilogy of brilliant film noir scores.

I'm starting with Leonard Bernstein's influential On The Waterfront then moving onto Mark Isham's fantastic The Black Dahlia and finishing everything off with Jerry Goldsmith's superb L.A. Confidential. What an incredible trio of scores!

-Erik-
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I totally agree with you Erik and I'm so glad I picked this album up at the time of the film ( having never heard it ), it's excellent! I saw the film later, IT'S PANTS!

Well I know one thing, I laughed my ass off with that film. So it can't be that bad, seeing I had a hell of a time. biggrin

I don't remember anything about the score though... All I remember is a pink bear, a green bear, a black bear, a yellow.... and so on. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Well I know one thing, I laughed my ass off with that film. So it can't be that bad, seeing I had a hell of a time. biggrin

I don't remember anything about the score though... All I remember is a pink bear, a green bear, a black bear, a yellow.... and so on. dizzy

I should create a suite. wink

-Erik-
  4. Holy crap! For Volume 2 I suppose? Bring it on !!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm actually making an attempt now and it's really tough to cut this score up.

-Erik-
  5. Anthony wrote
    NP : Random - EVERYONE

The End Credits cue from Lady In The Water came on. What a track! That's got to be one of JHN's best. A shame it doesn't appear anywhere else in the score and how it doesn't climax, instead just ending rather suddenly.

So this is quoting a post that is quite old, but I've been reading through this thread for days trying to catch up since I didn't come around here for a few weeks. I've now read through 40 pages of posts, but this one I had to say something about!

That is probably one of my favorite 30 tracks. It's probably overlooked by nearly everyone, but I adore it! It is a shame that it just ends all of a sudden. Still, it's so peaceful and beautiful. I wish it had been a prominent theme in the score that got a few variations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    La notte e il momento - Ennio Morricone

A very good score, in my opinion. There are three recurring themes, one is a slow, nice emotional theme, one that can only be written by Morricone. The other two are baroque-like music, fun, playful and catchy.
    I can compare this score to Vatel except that this one is more joyful in nature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    wrong thread
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Young)

I like this one, a lot. It's derivative, but of all the right things, and done with great care.

One of the best scores of the year, absolutely beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Creation (Young)

One of the best scores of the year, absolutely beautiful.

It's alright.

EDIT - Ok, it's more than alright. It's actually very well written and showcases Young's diversity as a film composer. To go from Drag Me To Hell to this is quite remarkable. However, I'm not gushing about this score like others are but it is "pretty" and quite enjoyable. BTW, it's interesting and yet very disturbing to hear a tip of the cap to James Horner and his Sneakers version of the four note danger motif. Argh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

you have to be in the righ mood for this score...but when you are, it rocks!

I love this triumphal progression , this bizarre mix of sounds and orchestrations....

punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm listening to a trilogy of brilliant film noir scores.

I'm starting with Leonard Bernstein's influential On The Waterfront then moving onto Mark Isham's fantastic The Black Dahlia and finishing everything off with Jerry Goldsmith's superb L.A. Confidential. What an incredible trio of scores!

I didn't get a chance to finish this yesterday. I'm currently spinning The Black Dahlia Outstanding!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good trio Erik and well 'book ended' by the original and the influenced.