• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    OK, I've never been a big Silvestri fan. But something odd has happened. Inspired by the fabulous, fantastic Captain America, easily the best comic book / superhero score since Spiderman 2,

That's not really saying much because 95% of super-hero scores written since have been utter poop... so I can see why you would consider an average Silvestri actioner to be a revelation!

But if you want to hear some of the best comic book music written since Spider-Man 2 then I highly recommend you seek out the work of Christopher Drake... especially Wonder Woman and Batman: Gotham Knight. I'd also put Powell's Hancock and X-Men 3 and Beltrami's Hellboy waaaaaaaaay above Captain America.... IMHO, of course. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I was listening to some of Guy Michelmore's scores to some of Marvel's superhero animations and I quite like The Invincible Iron Man. Not so keen on the Ultimate Avengers scores though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was listening to some of Guy Michelmore's scores to some of Marvel's superhero animations and I quite like The Invincible Iron Man. Not so keen on the Ultimate Avengers scores though.

I heard his Hulk v Wolverine score and thought it was pretty good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011 edited
    Judge Dredd was superb! Grand stuff. Didn't hear Captain America yet, looking forward to.

My favourite "comic" book scores are:

Priest (was that a comic book based movie?)
    Batman Returns
    Hellboy (just great, especially the promo)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    Composer of the months: Alan Silvestri:

http://montages.no/2011/09/manedens-kom … silvestri/
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    Thor wrote

Hm. Nice banner.

wink
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    johnbijl wrote
    Thor wrote

Hm. Nice banner.

wink

Yes, it is! Thanks again. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Review of Captain America

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011 edited
    Thomas, I know I've said this before, but sometimes your reviews make absolutely no sense.

"The darker sinister "Frozen Wasteland" and "Schmidt's Treasure" delve ourselves deep and clearly in the known suspenseful style of Silvestri, making sure it is his baby alright." Really?

"But forget a mere minute when you'll get dozens of that style and louder, more heroically and a lot more rhythmically after that". What does that even mean?

The entire review is a nightmare of mixed metaphors, screwed-up grammar and syntax (what is a "resolving finish"?), and wrong words being used in the wrong context (it "shatters deliciously"??)

I know that English is not your first language, and your English is better than my French or Flemish, but that's why I don't try to write reviews in French or Flemish, because I know they would be embarassingly bad.

You really, *really* need to work on this, because it makes the review portion of this site look terribly amateurish.
  3. Yeah we should make this a dutch-speaking board with dutch (= flemish) reviews, but then we would have 6,5 members in total. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    Thomas, I know I've said this before, but sometimes your reviews make absolutely no sense.

"The darker sinister "Frozen Wasteland" and "Schmidt's Treasure" delve ourselves deep and clearly in the known suspenseful style of Silvestri, making sure it is his baby alright." Really?

"But forget a mere minute when you'll get dozens of that style and louder, more heroically and a lot more rhythmically after that". What does that even mean?

The entire review is a nightmare of mixed metaphors, screwed-up grammar and syntax (what is a "resolving finish"?), and wrong words being used in the wrong context (it "shatters deliciously"??)

I know that English is not your first language, and your English is better than my French or Flemish, but that's why I don't try to write reviews in French or Flemish, because I know they would be embarassingly bad.

You really, *really* need to work on this, because it makes the review portion of this site look terribly amateurish.

I know you mean well Jon, but even though I'll improve over the years, my style will never become brilliant or even good. I think most people will have to accept that.

either way, I've taken your comments into consideration and I've changed several things, I'm sure it reads much smoother now

thanks in advance
  5. Someone here gave it a one star rating, a bit harsh to say the least... shocked

My bro's rating is spot on, in due time (when film music has taken an already bigger tumble) perhaps even a four.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Someone here gave it a one star rating, a bit harsh to say the least... shocked

My bro's rating is spot on, in due time (when film music has taken an already bigger tumble) perhaps even a four.

yeah, sometimes I wonder if people take these ratings seriously. Sometimes I think they do it just to attack a certain composer or score
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011 edited
    Thomas - With all due respect none of what you just wrote above makes any sense whatsoever. When you write a review for Maintitles you are representing Bregt and his site. If the review is poorly written it directly affects Bregt. Now, if Bregt doesn't care then so be it. End of story. But as a writer I would expect that you would want to strive to produce nothing but the best instead of stringing together a poorly worded sentences on purpose shocked to add colour to a review. That not adding colour... that's making you and the site look bad.

What I would recommend is to take Jon's constructive comments to heart and try to give Bregt the best damn reviews you can possibly write. I would also recommend you let another pair of eyes look over your reviews preferably someone with stronger English skills.

And one more thing... keep it simple.

EDIT - And I see that you have edited your post above.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas - With all due respect none of what you just wrote above makes any sense whatsoever. When you write a review for Maintitles you are representing Bregt and his site. If the review is poorly written it directly affects Bregt. Now, if Bregt doesn't care then so be it. End of story. But as a writer I would expect that you would want to strive to produce nothing but the best instead of stringing together a poorly worded sentences on purpose shocked to add colour to a review. That not adding colour... that's making you and the site look bad.

What I would recommend is to take Jon's constructive comments to heart and try to give Bregt the best damn reviews you can possibly write. I would also recommend you let another pair of eyes look over your reviews preferably someone with stronger English skills.

And one more thing... keep it simple.

-Erik-

well, I've already changed several things, and I already changed them into something that's a lot more simple. And I'll try to keep that in mind.

but about the colorful metaphors, that's the way I write, that's my personal style. I'll never abandon that. If I abandon that, they won't be my reviews anymore. But I can keep them at a minimum

and I know you were referring to my previous edited post wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    but about the colorful metaphors, that's the way I write, that's my personal style. I'll never abandon that. If I abandon that, they won't be my reviews anymore. But I can keep them at a minimum

Colourful metaphors are just fine... if they make sense. That's the issue. The words you are putting together don't.

-Erik-
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Colourful metaphors are just fine... if they make sense. That's the issue. The words you are putting together don't.

-Erik-

I'll try to make sure they fit. Either way, I've changed my review a little bit and it already reads better. I'll try to keep my reviews simple in the future

thanks anyway for the input
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote

Here i gave it half a star, no worry smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. Intrada's next release:

"Young Guns II"

If you've not heard, what I consider an "okay" score, here's a suite; I took good parts amidst blah stuff, and made a few good suites, this is one of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JrL8I6iUAc
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. justin boggan wrote
    Intrada's next release:

"Young Guns II"

If you've not heard, what I consider an "okay" score, here's a suite; I took good parts amidst blah stuff, and made a few good suites, this is one of them:

not his best, but catchy and fun nonetheless
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

so this half a star, and for instance Medal of Honor of Djawadi 3 stars, go figure face-palm-mt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Intrada's next release:

"Young Guns II"

It's a :shrug: from me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

so this half a star, and for instance Medal of Honor of Djawadi 3 stars, go figure face-palm-mt

Yet someone on this board only gave The Rocketeer 4 stars. face-palm-mt wink

-Erik-
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yet someone on this board only gave The Rocketeer 4 stars. face-palm-mt wink

-Erik-

I knew you would bring that up tongue
  13. and Young Guns II it is

YOUNG GUNS II

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 181
    Date: 1990
    Tracks: 16
    Time = 46:15

Alan Silvestri's exciting score for Geoff Murphy's fresh, much under-appreciated western finally arrives on CD in world premiere complete presentation direct from two-track digital stereo masters! Terrific film offers striking look at Billy The Kid's destiny in aftermath of famed Lincoln County wars & subsequent dogged pursuit by once friend Pat Garrett. Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips & Christian Slater offer youthful, vivid portrayals. Alan Silvestri takes cue from stars, creates fresh, youthful western score melding flavorful percussion, solo guitar, rhythm section & full orchestra. Silvestri anchors with rhythmic minor-key theme, then twists idea in opposite directions: one direction is rousing theme for outlaw gang on the run, other direction is intimate idea for loss of lives during journey... both come from identical melodic & harmonic DNA. Brilliant! Secondary theme, often with chorus, plays for Chavez character (Phillips), ever-weaving, ever-winding towards character's ultimate tragedy "when the spirit horse comes". Dynamic cue ("Little Tom Dies") when gang makes final stand an action highlight. And always under spotlight throughout entire score... that colorful Spanish guitar! Original 1990 "music from and inspired by" album contained all songs with just 1:00 of Silvestri's score! For Intrada CD, entire score is presented complete from digital master elements courtesy both Morgan Creek Productions & composer Silvestri. Rousing western score with both exciting nod to action & sad reflection on changing times hits the bullseye! Alan Silvestri conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available in limited quantity.

01. Scars 5:10
    02. Small Hands 3:04
    03. Lynch Mob 4:11
    04. Finish The Game 2:50
    05. Yoo Hoo 2:43
    06. Devil's Deal 1:26
    07. More Than Hello 2:34
    08. Tom Sees The Light 1:30
    09. Coy Dog 2:38
    10. Ride To Guano City 1:09
    11. Battle 2:46
    12. Little Tom Dies 6:49
    13. Garrett's Place 1:10
    14. Chavez's Wound 3:01
    15. You Gonna Shoot? 3:33
    16. Stolen Horse (Finale) 1:18
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

I would agree with Erik here.
    No issue at all with colourful metaphores, even when you make them up....as long as the actual words and syntax make sense. Without changing your colourful style one bit, it should (if you're uneasy or uncertain about your linguistic skills) be relatively easy to just have an "editor" or second reader make a quick pass over any review you write to see whether or not the structure of your review makes sense in English (i.e. simply whether or not it's understandable ).

Don't get me wrong: your reviewing efforts are nothing short of epic, and eminently laudable. The site owes you massive gratitude for those!
    But Erik makes a very good point that it is the calling card of MainTitles, which comes with a bit of responsibility towards its (international) reader base.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Martijn wrote
    I would agree with Erik here.
    No issue at all with colourful metaphores, even when you make them up....as long as the actual words and syntax make sense. Without changing your colourful style one bit, it should (if you're uneasy or uncertain about your linguistic skills) be relatively easy to just have an "editor" or second reader make a quick pass over any review you write to see whether or not the structure of your review makes sense in English (i.e. simply whether or not it's understandable ).

Don't get me wrong: your reviewing efforts are nothing short of epic, and eminently laudable. The site owes you massive gratitude for those!
    But Erik makes a very good point that it is the calling card of MainTitles, which comes with a bit of responsibility towards its (international) reader base.

I know Martijn, I know I can write. But sometimes I make it too difficult, sometimes I go too quickly for something without thinking rationally. That's me personally in a nutshell by the way. While I should think instead about: why make it difficult if you can make it easy.

I'll definitely try to do my best to make sure I represent myself and MainTitles the best I can in the future. I know I can, now I have to make sure I'll do it too

smile
  15. Go get them, Thomas! Have you got any if Mikael's titles in the pipeline?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  16. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Go get them, Thomas! Have you got any if Mikael's titles in the pipeline?

for now no, though I really should shame

are you interested in several Alan? You can do them if you want to. I'm tied up with the whole Marco Beltrami update anyway
  17. Thomas Glorieux, I support your four star rating.

While it's a personal favorite of mine, and I would tend to thinmk it one of his best (though not upper best), and nicely orchestrated, it's simply not worthy of five stars. 4.5 maybe.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.