• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

But with the other ones added in... they bring these fabulous efforts down.

-Erik-

But, from your list, we still got 6 really fantastic scores. I can't see what the problem is? confused

Well, it's my responsibility to select 10 fantastic scores.

-Erik-

Hmm, I guess so (for your show I presume?)

I enjoy making lists from years like most people do, but I can't say I take them too seriously. Having six great scores (Gods and General, Angels In America, Matrix 2 & 3, Sinbad and Return of the King) in one year is, to me, a pretty impressive year! Score fans can be so hard to please at times. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the last time I played Ned Kelly is when I last aired it on the program in January of 2003.

Now that's just a crying shame. sad
    Such a damn fine score!

I will need to revisit it. I'm actually going to put it in my cue. It will come after...

NP: The New World - James Horner

The opening track is what my darling baby girl Charlotte goes to bed listening to. I haven't played this since it first came out so I'm curious if I will have the same reaction to it that James does when he calls it one of the finest James Horner albums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But, from your list, we still got 6 really fantastic scores. I can't see what the problem is? confused

Gods and Generals and Sinbad are "really fantastic"? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    They "really are".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: American Beauty - Thomas Newman

My God this is soooooooooo good! Maybe one of the all time greats?! And how this didn't win the best ORIGINAL score Oscar is beyond me! Friggin' fantastic score!

-Erik-

I watched the film recently. It really is a masterful score. Now, I love Red Violin and have no problem with it winning an Oscar, but looking back now, American Beauty feels like one of the most important scores of the last couple of decades. It had such an influence on film music - and unlike all other major influences on film music in that period, this one was actually a positive influence! Newman became the latest composer to show how you could write really strong, dramatically-potent music in a very modern, creative way. (I know he had employed a relatively similar style beforehand, but this was the breakthrough.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Gods and Generals and Sinbad are "really fantastic"? lol

Absolutely. Granted, Matrix 2 & 3, Angels In America and Return of the King are far superior (IMO), but those two are still very good.

Blimey, score fans are harsh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    They "really are".

Am I missing an in-joke?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Absolutely. Granted, Matrix 2 & 3, Angels In America and Return of the King are far superior (IMO), but those two are still very good.

I can see the appeal of Gods and Generals (though it's not really my cup of tea) but struggle a bit with Sinbad. Isn't it basically the same 60-second theme (a good theme, admittedly) repeated without variation for an hour?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    They "really are".

Am I missing an in-joke?

No. Just your hearing it would appear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I can see the appeal of Gods and Generals (though it's not really my cup of tea) but struggle a bit with Sinbad. Isn't it basically the same 60-second theme (a good theme, admittedly) repeated without variation for an hour?

Yes. I still think it's good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    They "really are".

Am I missing an in-joke?

No. Just your hearing it would appear.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't you find it a bit boring listening to the same theme over and over again, without development or even basic variation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

My God this is soooooooooo good! Maybe one of the all time greats?! And how this didn't win the best ORIGINAL score Oscar is beyond me! Friggin' fantastic score!

-Erik-

I watched the film recently. It really is a masterful score. Now, I love Red Violin and have no problem with it winning an Oscar, but looking back now, American Beauty feels like one of the most important scores of the last couple of decades. It had such an influence on film music - and unlike all other major influences on film music in that period, this one was actually a positive influence! Newman became the latest composer to show how you could write really strong, dramatically-potent music in a very modern, creative way. (I know he had employed a relatively similar style beforehand, but this was the breakthrough.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the last time I played Ned Kelly is when I last aired it on the program in January of 2003.

Such a damn fine score!

I will need to revisit it. I'm actually going to put it in my cue. It will come after...

Ned Kelly is such a wonderful score. Badelt has a talent for mesmerizing string-led music, Rescue Dawn being his best example so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Don't you find it a bit boring listening to the same theme over and over again, without development or even basic variation?

Although I see your point, if I like the theme, then no not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

American Beauty it's probably the most influential film score of the last decade. The sound T.Newman created for the film is all around us; in other composers film scores, in jingles and ads, everywhere. The film's a modern masterpiece in its own terms too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

No, quite the contrary: finally someone's got a proper theme (and of course it's not "just repeated over and over, but is nicely embedded and played upon rolleyes ). For fuck's sake let's use it!
    bhangra
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

Me Neither. I just love GODS AND GENERAL, strange they never surpassed it since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    James! applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Me Neither. I just love GODS AND GENERAL, strange they never surpassed it since.

I think James was shredding Sinbad there, not Gods & Generals.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Such a damn fine score!

I revisited this recently, and wondered what I'd been so excited about. It was good for that composer, from the music production house, but I'm not sure it has stood the test of time.

Strangely enough, I also revisted James Newton Howard's THE POSTMAN recently, and was intrigued to find that one theme became the 'Syracuse' theme (a secondary theme) from Gregson-Williams' SINBAD.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ah, makes sense. For a moment i found it a bit odd that Steven actually liked Gods and Generals? wink As for Sinbad, i liked it when it came out and listened it quite a few times, but zero times since i am afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

No, quite the contrary: finally someone's got a proper theme (and of course it's not "just repeated over and over, but is nicely embedded and played upon rolleyes ). For fuck's sake let's use it!
    bhangra

I suspect the instructions to the mastering engineer somehow got mixed up with the instructions on a shampoo bottle. They had one piece of paper saying "Dear mastering engineer, please put track one at the beginning and then the following tracks in sequence for the remainder of the CD" and another saying "Rinse and repeat" and because of the way they were positioned on the desk, the poor guy read "Dear mastering engineer, please put track one at the beginning and then repeat for the remainder of the CD"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ah, makes sense. For a moment i found it a bit odd that Steven actually liked Gods and Generals? wink As for Sinbad, i liked it when it came out and listened it quite a few times, but zero times since i am afraid.

I do like Gods & Generals? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

bhangra

I suspect the instructions to the mastering engineer somehow got mixed up with the instructions on a shampoo bottle. They had one piece of paper saying "Dear mastering engineer, please put track one at the beginning and then the following tracks in sequence for the remainder of the CD" and another saying "Rinse and repeat" and because of the way they were positioned on the desk, the poor guy read "Dear mastering engineer, please put track one at the beginning and then repeat for the remainder of the CD"

Yeah. Hearing aid trouble. Definitely.
    These things come with age...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I do like Gods & Generals? confused

That's what i said. You obviously don't, thus why i found it "odd" that there was a possibility for you to like it. Obviously you were talking about Sinbad and mistook the quote as referring to Gods and Generals instead. Need to sleep now. NOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I do like Gods & Generals. Steven likes the score to God's & Generals.

My head hurts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D.!
    Get with the program.
    He LIKES Gods & Generals.

He DOES like it.

He exudes the opposite of disliking it.
    He denies the reverse inclination of liking it!
    HE
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We should have a separate thread, in which we have battles between the people with the harshest comments/ways! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well if you weren't such a prick, I'd agree with you. And you're racist. But whatever.

Can... can I start this thread?