• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    I was just talking about commenting on scores. Wasn't that clear of me? :depression:
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    This is MainTitles. Scores are off topic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    NP: MAKARA - E.S. Posthumus

It's like the hyper-action sequel album to the original gloriosity of Unearthed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    No, I do like Gods & Generals. Steven likes the score to God's & Generals.

My head hurts.

Damn, i assumed correctly then that i need sleep. And i assumed it more than an hour ago, and i'm still here. Damned you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

It's like the hyper-action sequel album to the original gloriosity of Unearthed.

I love the 1st and 2nd album, this third one's a different beast; where's cartographer was laid-back, song-driven, mellow and melodic, this is at the very opposite, a bombastic mix of guitars, electronics, orchestra and choir. It's real fun indeed, but it reminds me of trailer music; they've lost a bit of their unmistakable character which prevailed the first 2 albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I love the 1st and 2nd album, this third one's a different beast; where's cartographer was laid-back, song-driven, mellow and melodic, this is at the very opposite, a bombastic mix of guitars, electronics, orchestra and choir. It's real fun indeed, but it reminds me of trailer music; they've lost a bit of their unmistakable character which prevailed the first 2 albums.

I don't like this one as much as I want to. Unearthed still IS their best album. Makara style is a direct response to Cartographer's laidback mood, and I think mixing them together would yield a superior listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're very right. In Makara, i feel that they only proceeded in such a direction as an answer to the fans that were complaining about the smoothness and song-centered nature of Cartographer, which was an excellent album and a very coherent listening experience btw. Therefore, as an album of mere response, it lacks passion in it, something which surely prevailed both their previous albums. The first one especially, is indeed their top moment so far.
  1. Sinbad:LotSS - HGW

Inspired by (what I thought was) Southall's hyperbolic criticism. Turns out the theme is much shorter than he had said, and it has indeed appeared in each of the first three tracks (though not without variation)...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: American Beauty - Thomas Newman

My God this is soooooooooo good! Maybe one of the all time greats?! And how this didn't win the best ORIGINAL score Oscar is beyond me! Friggin' fantastic score!

-Erik-

Agree! This wins over Red Violin easily IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Well if you weren't such a prick, I'd agree with you. And you're racist. But whatever.

Can... can I start this thread?

Piss off.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

My God this is soooooooooo good! Maybe one of the all time greats?! And how this didn't win the best ORIGINAL score Oscar is beyond me! Friggin' fantastic score!

-Erik-

It could go each way that, and the victory would not be easy... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I watched the film recently. It really is a masterful score. Now, I love Red Violin and have no problem with it winning an Oscar, but looking back now, American Beauty feels like one of the most important scores of the last couple of decades. It had such an influence on film music - and unlike all other major influences on film music in that period, this one was actually a positive influence! Newman became the latest composer to show how you could write really strong, dramatically-potent music in a very modern, creative way. (I know he had employed a relatively similar style beforehand, but this was the breakthrough.)

Put much better than I would have and I totally agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It could go each way that, and the victory would not be easy... wink

Indeed, let's not exaggerate. RED VIOLIN is also an exceptionally brilliant film score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For sure, The Red Violin is a very good score and, on balance, a deserving winner. American Beauty is the far more important score though.
  3. NP: The Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

One of the most impressive miniseries scores of the last 20 years. It has the legendary feel, the strength of melody that we so rarely get from these kinds of scores anymore. (For me, this is so far ahead of wannabe adventure scores like Doyle's GOBLET OF FIRE or Newton Howard's KING KONG as to make me scratch my head at the acclaim those receive.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Mists of Avalon (Lee Holdridge)

One of the most impressive miniseries scores of the last 20 years. It has the legendary feel, the strength of melody that we so rarely get from these kinds of scores anymore. (For me, this is so far ahead of wannabe adventure scores like Doyle's GOBLET OF FIRE or Newton Howard's KING KONG as to make me scratch my head at the acclaim those receive.)

It's too bad that a lot of the battle music wasn't included on this release.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Timmer wrote
    For sure, The Red Violin is a very good score and, on balance, a deserving winner. American Beauty is the far more important score though.

I wish there were years nowadays when two or three very good scores would be nominated for an Oscar!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "Run Free" from Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

run run punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. NP: Creation (Christopher Young)

Beautiful score.
  5. NP: The Gospel of John (Jeff Danna)

In keeping with the ... err... spiritual theme. Also very beautiful however!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wonderful scores, both of them.

n.p. HANS ZIMMER - Peacemaker (complete)

Brain turned off, volume all the way up same goes for low frequencies. It's been ages since i last played this and it feels soooo good! Fun part: "Devoe's revenge" is Pirates of the Caribbean years before this actually existed. wink
  6. Too dissonant for Pirates, D.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

My favourite Zimmer action score ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Too dissonant for Pirates, D.

The rhythm and melodies are all there.

Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

My favourite Zimmer action score ever.

It gets too much on the complete form though.
  7. Interesting, the complete form is all I can take of it! The official album misses most of the ethnic stuff, which are always a highlight.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lots of uninteresting passage pieces to the action driven, theme-led pieces. Those tire me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    It gets too much on the complete form though.

I still remember the day I got the complete and could listen to cues like "Password", "Outside Line", "Family", the film version of "Chase" and all the cues from the ending of the film. Essential!

PawelStroinski wrote
    Interesting, the complete form is all I can take of it! The official album misses most of the ethnic stuff, which are always a highlight.

Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    No, I do like Gods & Generals. Steven likes the score to God's & Generals.

My head hurts.

Damn, i assumed correctly then that i need sleep. And i assumed it more than an hour ago, and i'm still here. Damned you.

Though I am curious to know why you thought I "obviously" didn't like it and found it "odd" that I did? I've sung the praises of this one a few times! (Not recently, admittedly. I really should give it another listen soon.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing. Sleepy head and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    First listen of, HOWARD SHORE - Edge of Darkness

Interesting brooding orchestral textures, and apt percussive work in some places. Certainly not the "return" some expect though.