• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Black Sunday John Williams. A nice release from FSM
    listen to more classical music!
  1. NP: Lady in the Water (James Newton Howard)

The last score from him that I REALLY liked? HAPPENING was also pretty good.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BROKEN ARROW - Hans Zimmer

I thought I'd give this a final listen before I decide to throw it away or not!? ( it's already becoming a chore slant )

p.s. Is it Duane Eddy playing the guitar on this? It sure sounds like him.

Easy decision mate. Cd in hand, foot on dustbin's opening switch, aim, here you go!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Regarding Henry - Hans Zimmer

One of my all time favorite relaxing Zimmer score. Got a used copy of this album when it went OOP and I was so happy. Love the theme and Bobby McFerrin's vocal stylings and synthesizer work and everything else in between.

Deeply nostalgic work indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    NP: "Run Free" from Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

run run punk

punk

NP: Charlotte's Web - Danny Elfman
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BROKEN ARROW - Hans Zimmer

I thought I'd give this a final listen before I decide to throw it away or not!? ( it's already becoming a chore slant )

p.s. Is it Duane Eddy playing the guitar on this? It sure sounds like him.

Easy decision mate. Cd in hand, foot on dustbin's opening switch, aim, here you go!

Ta! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

I'm saving this to listen to tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. sdtom wrote

I remember Black Sunday from watching it on TV years ago - and I remember really enjoying it.

It's great to hear Williams' again just prior to his career going stratospheric with Star Wars: some great suspense scoring and action stuff.

Interesting to read in the liner notes just how much of his score was dropped for the final cut of the film - I'm sure that didn't happen to him as often once he became such a big name?

Also, with these re-releases of older scores, sometimes the composers get involved again with producing these titles. From the acknowledgements it seems that Williams' wasn't involved at all in this FSM release. Did James Horner get involved in any of his recent re-releases? I can't remember.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Complete) - Harry Gregson-Williams

The bitrate is sadly low, but the quality is acceptable and it's a joy to listen to some very good unreleased music like the muted trumpet theme, complete Raid On The Castle music and new battle cues along with variations of Miraz' theme. cool
  3. lp wrote
    NP: Regarding Henry - Hans Zimmer

One of my all time favorite relaxing Zimmer score. Got a used copy of this album when it went OOP and I was so happy. Love the theme and Bobby McFerrin's vocal stylings and synthesizer work and everything else in between.

I would give big bucks for a copy, used or not !!!!! Adore that score ! love

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Wojciech Kilar)

I adore this one too. Splendid, highly effective scoring that made me sit up and notice while watching this one in the theatre. From the chilling opening moments right until the gorgeous End Credits, this music is simply put as memorable as film music can be. Mina's theme is superb on its own, expanded into the love theme it becomes a piece of art ('Mina / Dracula'). The hypnotic suspense / action cues such as 'Vampire Hunters', 'The Storm' and their repetitive building nature always remain a joy to listen to. This one made me notice Kilar as an unknown force to be reckoned with, as I assume it did for a lot of score fans.

I'm impatiently awaiting my copy of 'Pan Tadeusz' which I hope has the same sort of beauty in its music. Judging from Jon Broxton's review there's no doubt.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Pan Tadeusz is pure beauty, without Dracula's darkness.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. That's alright in my book then... More like Portrait of a Lady?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    NP G-Force (Trevor Rabin)

Take a cocktail shaker, add a bit of Remember the Titans, a bit of American Outlaws, some National Treasure, a pinch of Bad Company and a spanish guitar to provide a bit of flavor. Voilà! beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    That's alright in my book then... More like Portrait of a Lady?

Yeah, but more powerful.
    I think Pan Tadeusz is Kilar's best work to date. Beautiful, romantic (in the best sense of the word), lyrical, thematic.
    One of my most highly praised scores. (I'd go as far as to say it's flawless, but obviously that is very much a matter of taste).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    and a spanish guitar to provide a bit of flavor. Voilà! beer

shocked Ooo! shocked

love
    Gottahave!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    G-Force really had fun music - but it's not released on CD officially as far as I know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The b**t just leaked. cool
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    NP: G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - Alan Silvestri

I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. It's pretty much what you expect from an action score by Silvestri. I especially like the heroic theme in the end credits. It's cheesy as hell but it's my kind of cheese. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    The b**t just leaked. cool

Indeed it has smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ranietz wrote
    NP: G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - Alan Silvestri

I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. It's pretty much what you expect from an action score by Silvestri.

Actually, I expected more from Silvestri especially after you listen to kick ass action licks such as "Kruger Escapes" from Eraser, "Council Chaos" from Judge Dredd, "My First Bus Ride" from The Mummy Returns, "Clocktower Part II" from Back To The Future, etc. GI Joe, as Timmer would eloquently put it, is PANTS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, I expected more from Silvestri especially after you listen to kick ass action licks such as "Kruger Escapes" from Eraser, "Council Chaos" from Judge Dredd, "My First Bus Ride" from The Mummy Returns, "Clocktower Part II" from Back To The Future, etc. GI Joe, as Timmer would eloquently put it, is PANTS!

-Erik-

I agree on that G.I. Joe is not as good as the scores you mentioned. But it has its moments and you can hear all the typical Silvestri elements in the action parts (except there seems to be more synths on this score. Wonder why... biggrin ). But caling it PANTS? nah...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yeah, but more powerful.
    I think Pan Tadeusz is Kilar's best work to date. Beautiful, romantic (in the best sense of the word), lyrical, thematic.
    One of my most highly praised scores. (I'd go as far as to say it's flawless, but obviously that is very much a matter of taste).

It's a fantastic score that I can't praise highly enough, you're in for a real treat Gilles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Complete) - Harry Gregson-Williams

The bitrate is sadly low, but the quality is acceptable and it's a joy to listen to some very good unreleased music like the muted trumpet theme, complete Raid On The Castle music and new battle cues along with variations of Miraz' theme. cool

How low? I got it last night and I won't be able to listen to it until tonight. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It's 192 kbps and frequency cut at 16,000. But like I said, it sounds remarkably clear for that low quality!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    It's 192 kbps and frequency cut at 16,000. But like I said, it sounds remarkably clear for that low quality!

Oh, that's a bummer. But beggars can't be choosers... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Better than nothing for now, I guess. Oh yeah, I just noticed the Narnia theme in the Raid On The Castle track here has a cool choir accompaniment which is not in the album version! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Better than nothing for now, I guess. Oh yeah, I just noticed the Narnia theme in the Raid On The Castle track here has a cool choir accompaniment which is not in the album version! smile

OOOOh.

Why can't we get something like this for the POTC series... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Patience is rewarding. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIE ANOTHER DAY - David Arnold

Worst Bond title song ever but definitely not the worst Bond score ever though it may be David Arnold's weakest Bond score ever up until now but it's not bad really are you still following?
  6. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yeah, but more powerful.

It's a fantastic score that I can't praise highly enough, you're in for a real treat Gilles.

I think I will faint when it gets here... punk

Thanks guys, looking forward to it, I don't have many Kilar's but the one's I have, show his artistry very well.