• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Some tracks from Quincy Jones' score to "In the Heat of the Night", and now "Dirty Harry" (Schifrin).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. NP: Heat Rod (Cave/Ellis)

Despite the Arvo Part influence (par for the course these days), it's actually a pretty good score and album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY - Cliff Eidelman

Arguably the best of the non Goldsmith / Horner Trek scores and I'll even take it over Goldsmith's later efforts, this is one hell of a fine score.

Undiscovered Country is my third favourite... perhaps joint-third with First Contact. Too bloody hard to decide. (Still, I prefer Generations to The Final Frontier, so what do I know?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Three Choral Suites Miklós Rózsa

So good it doesn't just make you appreciate scores; it makes you appreciate music in general!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Tudors ~ Trevor Morris

It's the music fot Season 1. A Historic Love and its variation in Wolsey Commits Suicide are breathtaking. I don't know why, but it brings to my mind and image of a horse galloping. There is a distinct Celtic air in the whole score which is an overall enjoyable listening experience.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Sin Eater - Mark McKenzie

I'm in a McKenzie mood this evening and this one's another really good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    The Last Sin Eater - Mark McKenzie

I'm in a McKenzie mood this evening and this one's another really good one.

"It doesn't hurt any more" - wow, WHAT a stunning theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    "It doesn't hurt any more" - wow, WHAT a stunning theme!

I love that track! I'd consider that cue two themes actually, though they are usually played side by side. The first of those two themes has its best rendition in the beginning of "I love you". The second theme is my favourite, and it's a treat in all 5 tracks where it appears.

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: The Wolfman - Elfman

Nice n dark! cool

And the last score I hear at home for now as I'm soon off on my cruise around New Zealand! Bon voyage!

shame <--envy

Have a great trip, New Zealand is an awesome place, truly awesome!

Thanks Tim and Martijn. Even at the airport I just had to drop in and check out maintitles.net!

Next stop: Sydney. Then ....Middle Earth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Does anyone consider that the new star trek film (its actors, style, direction, photography, trends) has actually nothing to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?

Of course. It's completely different. But I don't understand the point you're making?

Then why do you expect Giacchino to come up with something like the older scores?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um. We still don't know what you're saying, Demetris! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Heat Rod (Cave/Ellis)

Despite the Arvo Part influence (par for the course these days), it's actually a pretty good score and album.

Damn your letter mix-ups! I was going to ask "what is this work? new one?" then i saw the obvious anagram wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Does anyone consider that the new star trek film (its actors, style, direction, photography, trends) has actually nothing to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?

Of course. It's completely different. But I don't understand the point you're making?

Ditto?

Or are you just madly lashing out due to Southall's mention of Constantinople?

No way, the man loves Mark McKenzie. He's practically a dear friend, even just for that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wrote

Ohhhh. Wait, you meant:

Does anyone really think new star trek film has ANYTHING to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?

The way you worded it was confusing. Now I get it. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Salomé - Roque Baños

Fook me but I love this score, but then I am extremely partial to flamenco influences. love
    Salomé treads (and oversteps at times) the boundary betwean Easter and flamenco music (a line that was never very defined anyway, obviously). Wild, emotional, powerful and off-beat.

Great threading melodies throughout, and flamenco artist Tomatito playing his heart out.
    Beautiful mix, both in an orchestrational sense (middle-eastern instruments, flamenco guitar and symphony orchestra mix ver well!) and in a technical sense.

Love it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I wrote

Ohhhh. Wait, you meant:

Does anyone really think new star trek film has ANYTHING to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?

The way you worded it was confusing. Now I get it. dizzy

I don't. We (well, I) was talking about how Star Trek has a pretty strong main theme, but nothing compared with great themes of days gone by (specific examples raised by Martijn being the Raiders March and Princess Leia's Theme).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Giacchino's Trek theme has grown on me a LOT since I first heard it, but it's certainly no match for those other examples indeed.

Guess it's a sign of the times I guess... I dunno, I'm no sociologist. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote

Fook me but I love this score, but then I am extremely partial to flamenco influences.

Try Baños' "El Séptimo Día" (The Seventh Day). You´ll love it.

Samples and full tracks HERE
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. CD 2 of "In Search of Peace" (Lee Holdridge), since I listened to CD 1 yesterday and didn't get a chance to finish.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Giacchino's Trek theme has grown on me a LOT since I first heard it, but it's certainly no match for those other examples indeed.

Guess it's a sign of the times I guess... I dunno, I'm no sociologist. :shrug:

Me neither, but I AM a scientologist.

I only originally mentioned Star Trek since it was one of the few recent films I could think of which actually might have sustained one of those great themes Williams used to write.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Let The Right One In - Johan Söderqvist

I have to copy his name from the artist tag in foobar to get the symbol to come up...also I have no idea how to pronounce his name! Anyway, this is an absolutely incredible score

WP: G-Force (Promo) - Trevor Rabin
    Suprisingly, it's actually an OK effort, which means its better than just about everything else he's done in the last five years. Certainly better than things like Get Smart and Witch Mountain and even The Guardian, whose recent promo made it obvious why an album was never released. This, however, almost harkens back to his late 90s days, albeit a little lighter and more playful than the mostly-serious stuff he was writing then.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Heat Rod (Cave/Ellis)

Damn your letter mix-ups! I was going to ask "what is this work? new one?" then i saw the obvious anagram wink

I had begun to believe that noone was reading my posts apart from you. So I thought I'd prove it by doing an anagram and see if anyone noticed. Naturally, it was you who noticed! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    Am I surprised I read it 'Mufasa' for a second?

I did the same thing dizzy

NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

One of my favorite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote

This is one that I sample every now and again. I like a lot of Baños' work but the clips for this one never get me wanting more...

NP: Army of The Dead - William Stromberg

This one's a pretty poor straight-to-video movie that features revengeful Spanish Conquistadors, set in the Baja peninsula. Stromberg's score has some good moments, particularly when the Spanish-tinged acoustic guitar's featured - "Baja Buggy Montage" for example.

There's a lot of "sneaking about" music but it's always interesting to listen to (maybe I've a soft spot for anything Stromberg does whether it's his own compositions or his re-recordings.

A competent piece of work - there's certainly are releases that are a lot worse than this. I think it's worth the $10.00 for 35 minutes of music, though the sound quality won't suit everyone: there are places where the ~180 kbps mp3 show their deficiencies (I purchased my copy from CDBaby, other places may offer better mp3s.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Prince Valiant - Franz Waxman

A wonderful and rousing score !
    The adventure just drips out of my speakers !
    A classic !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote

A classic !

It's a very good score.

...and you are now Erik Woods very best friend wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    NP: The Ninth Gate - Wojciech Kilar

Dark, haunting and a bit quirky. Reminds me of his Dracula score at some places. Me like. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote

A classic !

It's a very good score.

...and you are now Erik Woods very best friend wink

Indeed! It seems like the Erik's or Eric's of the world have really good taste!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend Jerry Goldsmith

I'd pitch this one as "for fans only."

I'm a fan, and I love this score.
  5. Definitely... I'm a fan as I got this after it sold out, for nearly 4-5 times the original price.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.