• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I've always maintained that Giacchino took a lot of his action music cues (pun intended smile ) from Williams. I was really hoping after the magnificent Secret Weapons Over Normandy we might see the successor of John Williams, but unfortunately (for me at least) at least the more melodic side of Giacchino's talent remains too underused.

I realize it's due to the demands of modern day film scoring, but I'd dearly love to hear some symphonic themes from him! Something on a "Raider's March"or "Princess Leia's Theme" level.
    I remain convinced he's the currently the best bet among young film composers to pull something like that off (if he should ever get the chance).

I also held out that hope for him (and still do) but actually, I've found that side of him to be surprisingly absent. I know it's not always easy to put that kind of theme into a score these days, but he did have chance in Star Trek and, while the theme's good, it's hardly on the level of those two you mention.

Does anyone consider that the new star trek film (its actors, style, direction, photography, trends) has actually nothing to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Does anyone consider that the new star trek film (its actors, style, direction, photography, trends) has actually nothing to do with the previous films of the franchise those fine men scored in the past?

Of course. It's completely different. But I don't understand the point you're making?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Zimmer wasn't lazy in Gladiator.

the rest is largely recycled from other works, some by Zimmer and many not.

I agree with you here, James. Not about the lazy thing but about the recycled thing.

Peacemaker, prince Of Egypt, Morricone's Sahara, Holts, The Thin Red line, Fools of Fortune, K2...

Ironically, the main problem with this score was Zimmer wasn't lazy. So he put too much things in the ground. Give me the "lazy" king Arthur any day, all the things are better integrated (and without suite into the other ).

NP:The Thin Red Line (Zimmer)

trying it again.

My favourite track it is still "the lagoon". from the "tibetan" chants from the elegant love lost theme at the end. "light" is beautiful too, and I like the subtile synths in the "coral atoll".

The rest, while highly emotional, and really well composed, makes me loose the patience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course. It's completely different. But I don't understand the point you're making?

Ditto?

Or are you just madly lashing out due to Southall's mention of Constantinople?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    IInterestingly that sort of remark can actually get you arrested in Turkey, where Atatürk is revered on a nigh-godhood level.

Thanks for the warning. I hope I remember it when I'm next in Constantinople.

I find referring to that lovely city as Byzantium tends to keep both Greeks and Turks happy.
    Well, not happy per se, but at least not immediately homicidal.

biggrin

I feel the same way about here, When referring to England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales I just call it England.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: The Wolfman - Elfman

Nice n dark! cool

And the last score I hear at home for now as I'm soon off on my cruise around New Zealand! Bon voyage!

shame <--envy

Have a great trip, New Zealand is an awesome place, truly awesome!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

Visiting an old favourite after quite some time. Here's the side of HGW I love! Brilliant orchestral score. cool punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Redemption Of The Ghost - Michael Giacchino

I like it. It sound totally different to anything he's written since. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

I like it. It sound totally different to anything he's written since. cool

That's wonderful Giacchino scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I want to hear the rest of Semper Fi. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

How much of Redemption and Semper Fi do you have?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Andromeda Strain (Intrada) - Gil Mellé

Intrada brings us Gil Mellé's electronic OST from the 1971 cult SF movie The Andromeda Strain .
    This one isn't a very easy listen and sounds very experimental .
    It fits the film perfectly but as a stand alone it's hard to get through - though the OST is very short ,
    around the 25 minute mark . Let us say this one's for the listener who isn't affraid of something
    quite different ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

How much of Redemption and Semper Fi do you have?

-Erik-

Only a few tracks, certainly not the complete scores I imagine you have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Sounds of Vancouver 2010 - Bunch of people in music

I'm listening mostly for the orchestral stuff and it's not bad. It's nice to see Gavin Greenaway writing a few BIG pieces for the event. His writing style is so vibrant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY - Cliff Eidelman

Arguably the best of the non Goldsmith / Horner Trek scores and I'll even take it over Goldsmith's later efforts, this is one hell of a fine score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

Visiting an old favourite after quite some time. Here's the side of HGW I love! Brilliant orchestral score. cool punk

Couldn't agree more. This has become one of my alltime favourite albums. Perhaps in my top 10 of all time.

Peter cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Arguably the best of the non Goldsmith / Horner Trek scores

No argument about it as far as I'm concerned!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Arguably the best of the non Goldsmith / Horner Trek scores and I'll even take it over Goldsmith's later efforts, this is one hell of a fine score.

Above First contact and Insurrection?

Peter shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I did say arguably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, and I would argue with that part (which is why I didn't quote it)!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thus spake James-I didn't get where I am today by sitting on a fence-Southall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Eight minutes late - signal failure near Dingle Crossing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Above First contact and Insurrection?

Peter shocked

Indeed! I place it third best behind Star Trek II and The Motion Picture.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I normally adore Eidelman, but gotta admit I haven't fallen for his Star trek yet. Perhaps it's because I'm not a big action fan, and his themes haven't gotten to me either. Tracks 3, 12 and 13 I find ok, the rest I get no pleasure from.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Frank and Jesse - Mark McKenzie

I adore this guy's music, and this one's a fine example of why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Indeed! I place it third best behind Star Trek II and The Motion Picture.

Why do you like it so much? I must admit I don't see the appeal. I personally think that "First contact" and "Insurrection" has some of Goldsmith's best themes of his entire career, while Eidelman has created countless themes superior to his Star trek themes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

What´s this?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. plindboe wrote
    I normally adore Eidelman, but gotta admit I haven't fallen for his Star trek yet. Perhaps it's because I'm not a big action fan, and his themes haven't gotten to me either. Tracks 3, 12 and 13 I find ok, the rest I get no pleasure from.

Peter smile

Same here, I can never enjoy Eidelman's Trek scores more than any of the Goldsmith's, well maybe just a bit more than Nemesis.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Final Fantasy XIII (Masashi Hamauzu)

Wow!!!!! This is one monumental soundtrack, literally and figuratively speaking. Spanning 4 whopping discs, this has the usual type of eastern style fluff, weird instruments, and techno-ish looping songs with high quality samples, but the symphonic cues of which there are quite a bunch, especially on disc 3 and 4, are fabulous, and they are all spectacularly performed. Listerning to this, I'm convinced this will be the best sounding Final Fantasy game in history, because the quality of writing and arranging is superb. Even Nobuo Uematsu (the genius that started this series), didn't compose this much symphonic music in the previous installments. Hearing the many music from this game I'm now more than ever looking forward to actually playing it and hearing the highly melodic pieces in context. Let me just state that the purely symphonic cues don't loop at all, so they have a beginning and an end, which isn't always the case with Japanese soundtracks. Superb stuff and if you're into orchestral and rich melodies this is definitely one to check out.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Well, I did say arguably.

And "NON Goldsmith".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.