• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Blimey. Not sure I love it that much, but thne there are very few CDs I would pay 4-5 times the original price for (mostly because it's a lot of money regardless of what's on the CD).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    NP: Sounds of Vancouver 2010 Olympics Opening Ceremony | "Peaks of Endeavours" - GAVIN GREENAWAY

I want MORE!!!! 10min of music from Gavin it's just really excellent stuff. A bit Disney, a bit MV/RC, mostly orchestral, all good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm finishing up my review of Hangover Square/Citizen Kane.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Le Voyage En Ballon - Jean Prodromidès

Powerful scoring, charming as all git-out, and just a joy to listen to.
    What a fine score this is. Great theme, and a lyricism that drives home how much this is missing in modern-day film scoring.

I honestly can't understand some people referring to this score as "fluffy". confused
    There's absolutely nothing "fluffy" about it. Due to the nature of the film there is a certain playfulness, assuredly, but for the rest this is as robust a score as anything ever done by Tiomkin, Korngold or any other Golden Ager (and it certainly in style and tone harkens back to those days).
    Lovely! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote
    NP: Sounds of Vancouver 2010 Olympics Opening Ceremony | "Peaks of Endeavours" - GAVIN GREENAWAY

I want MORE!!!! 40min of music from Gavin and about 15-20min of really excellent stuff. A bit Disney, not much MV/RC, mostly orchestral, some ethnic/world material, all good stuff.

Has it been released on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Le Voyage En Ballon - Jean Prodromidès

Powerful scoring, charming as all git-out, and just a joy to listen to.
    What a fine score this is. Great theme, and a lyricism that drives home how much this is missing in modern-day film scoring.

I honestly can't understand some people referring to this score as "fluffy". confused
    There's absolutely nothing "fluffy" about it. Due to the nature of the film there is a certain playfulness, assuredly, but for the rest this is as robust a score as anything ever done by Tiomkin, Korngold or any other Golden Ager (and it certainly in style and tone harkens back to those days).
    Lovely! love

It's quite fluffy. At least that first track is.

I've not actually been able to make it past that first track, which I thought I liked but then realised I didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Define "fluffy".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    lp wrote

I want MORE!!!! 10min of music from Gavin it's just really excellent stuff. A bit Disney, a bit MV/RC, mostly orchestral, all good stuff

Has it been released on CD?

Available through iTunes. Only two tracks. But the other tracks works pretty well.

BTW, I realized a few thing about the album and I've edited my quote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Define "fluffy".

You know, soft. The good kind of 'hairy.' That sort of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Elizabeth And Essex: The Classic Film Scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic

Top notch stuff! Arguably one of the top 3 albums in the RCA Classic Film Scores series. There are only 7 tracks but when you look at what is featured in those 7 track your jaw drops to the floor. The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Prince and Pauper, Anthony Adverse, Sea Wolf, Deception, Another Dawn and Of Human Bondage. All classics!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Salomé - Roque Baños

Fook me but I love this score, but then I am extremely partial to flamenco influences. love
    Salomé treads (and oversteps at times) the boundary betwean Easter and flamenco music (a line that was never very defined anyway, obviously). Wild, emotional, powerful and off-beat.

Great threading melodies throughout, and flamenco artist Tomatito playing his heart out.
    Beautiful mix, both in an orchestrational sense (middle-eastern instruments, flamenco guitar and symphony orchestra mix ver well!) and in a technical sense.

Love it.

It's an absolutely delightful score, a real treat from start to finish!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Define "fluffy".

Extremely saccharine and mickey mousey, uplifting and happy to the point it's actually cheesy. That's fluffy for you smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I want MORE!!!! 10min of music from Gavin it's just really excellent stuff. A bit Disney, a bit MV/RC, mostly orchestral, all good stuff.

Gavin wrote all the music for the ceremony? There's an album circulating around in the well known places btw...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

Gavin wrote all the music for the ceremony? There's an album circulating around in the well known places btw...

Never mind, i just saw your post over at the composer's topic. So who wrote the rest of the pieces?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Total Recall Deluxe Edition (Goldsmith)

One of my all time favourite scores.

"Clever Girl" is probably my favourite action cue.

But it's a massive score. one of this big and bold scores. I love it!

One of the most complex action scores ever composeds and Goldsmith best integration of electronics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's an outstanding score indeed, some of the best action scoring ever written for film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's an outstanding score indeed, some of the best action scoring ever written for film.

Yikes! I agree with a D superlative!? shocked beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Define "fluffy".

Extremely saccharine and mickey mousey, uplifting and happy to the point it's actually cheesy. That's fluffy for you smile

Mickey mousing?
    You SERIOUSLY think Voyage En Ballon has extreme Mickey Mousing???
    Are we listening to the same soundtrack here?
    The theme is playful, absolutely, but these qualifications are a huge disservice, and simply not correct. There s not one single bit of mickey mousing in this score whatsoever. In fact it's one of the most thematic (almost to the point off monothematic) things I have heard in a LONG time.

Alsace is brooding and moody, the second half of Paris is huge and majestic; the impressive Chenonceaux is quiet and reserved and Les Grand Voliers move into an extremely stirring apotheosis with it's thunderous, powerful Conan-like choir. ET CETERA!

I simply cannot believe you said that.
    Aside from its "happy" main theme, it's the absolute opposite of what you describe.
    I strongly suggest giving it another whirl. The only explanation I have right now is that you're talking about another score altogether!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, it's not mickey mousing at all. dizzy I just don't really like the music... hard to explain, but it just doesn't sit right. It's very melodic and pretty and I can definitely see why you like it - just not for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yikes! I agree with a D superlative!? shocked beer

Statistical probability's a bitch ain't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Players - Jerry Goldsmith

An absolute treat! Such warm, rich music and a genuine classic Goldsmith main theme. Brilliant sound, too, especially compared with the old bootleg.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, it's not mickey mousing at all. dizzy I just don't really like the music... hard to explain, but it just doesn't sit right. It's very melodic and pretty and I can definitely see why you like it - just not for me!

I don't think D meant 'Mickey Mousing', he said Mickey Mousey which means...erm....all light and sweet...erm....i guess? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Prince Valiant - Franz Waxman

A wonderful and rousing score !
    The adventure just drips out of my speakers !
    A classic !

It's a very good score.

...and you are now Erik Woods very best friend wink

Indeed! It seems like the Erik's or Eric's of the world have really good taste!

-Erik-

I'll drink to that compadre ... wink beer
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Southall wrote
    Players - Jerry Goldsmith

An absolute treat! Such warm, rich music and a genuine classic Goldsmith main theme. Brilliant sound, too, especially compared with the old bootleg.

exellent, looking forward to it

NP: Alien 2 CD Deluxe Edition

I was hoping it would interest me more, compared to the old score release. But alas, it's effective but hardly a score I will listen to
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No surprise there since Alien doesn't exactly make for a very pleasant listen. Great score, but you do have to be in the mood for it if you want to hear it outside of the movie. Not one that often gets a listen from me too.
  2. Steven wrote
    No surprise there since Alien doesn't exactly make for a very pleasant listen. Great score, but you do have to be in the mood for it if you want to hear it outside of the movie. Not one that often gets a listen from me too.

I know Alien, I know it was going to be much more effective than entertaining, but still, it doesn't really sting
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Define "fluffy".

You know, soft. The good kind of 'hairy.' That sort of thing.

I think what he means is: IT EXUDES A CONTINENTAL ELEGANCE THAT OUR BEST COMPOSERS CAN'T SEEM THE PULL OFF.
    cool

And D, if you think BALLON has mickey-mousing, then you don't really know the meaning of the word. Mickey-mousing is when musical form is abandoned to follow onscreen action, and it doesn't happen in BALLON. wink

The only thing that bothers me about Promenides score is that I didn't actually hear a score made by a composer last year that was actually as good as it in its genre. Or for some years running.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

Never mind, i just saw your post over at the composer's topic. So who wrote the rest of the pieces?

From the FSM forum. Courtesy of "Hermit"

Here are the credited composers:

Fire on the Mountain by Dave Pierce
    Canadian Athletes by Bryan Adams, Dave Pierce & Jim Vallance
    Bang the Drum by Bryan Adams & Jim Vallance
    O Canada by Calixa Lavallee
    Aboriginal Welcome by Sandy Scofield & Bob Buckley
    Hymn to the North by Dave Pierce
    Sacred Grove by Dave Pierce
    Ordinary Miracle & Fantasy Ballet by Glen Ballard & David A. Stewart; Samuel Barber
    Rhythms of the Fall by Dave Pierce, Ward Allen, Calvin Vollrath & Miles Foxx Hill
    Who Has Seen the Wind by Joni Mitchell
    Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell
    Storm by Donovan Seidle
    Peaks of Endeavour by Gavin Greenaway
    Raising of the Olympic Flag by Donovan Seidle
    We Are More by Dave Pierce
    Olympic Anthem by Spyridon Samaris
    Parade of Athletes by Dave Pierce
    The Olympic Flame by Gavin Greenaway
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

NP: Alien 2 CD Deluxe Edition

Do you mean AlienS ? biggrin biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP From Paris with Love (David Buckley)

Expected more of this one after hearing a clip at hans-zimmer.com. But it is very similar to Harry Gregson-Williams "Pelham 123", that is, boring and uninspired. Too bad, I like Buckley´s "The Forbidden Kingdom" and "Town Creek" (in the movie) and was hoping for an orchestral action score. As has been said in Buckley´s thread, probably they wanted a HGW type of score. Well, they got it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you