• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    DAD or YOLT? tongue

YOLT of course!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. punk

Thought so.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    You Only Live Twice (John Barry)

From Halo to Bond ! Why not? This is only my second full listen but I already love the main theme which is utterly beautiful in that laid-back romantic Barry way. There's not nearly enough faster-paced music as I would've liked but then I assume this must be slower moving Bond, with an emphasis on romantic interludes (I've never seen the older films shame ). But when the usual Barry-action-sound appears it's all the more welcome, such as in 'Bond Averts World War Three'. And thematically there's absolutely nothing wrong with it of course, it has more melody than many of the recent scores combined.

My favourite Bond score. I love the action music. I love the romantic music. I love the Japanese-tinged passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. It's lovely all right, but I can't see myself playing this more than either OHMSS or TLD (the only ones I have on compact disc).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's lovely all right, but I can't see myself playing this more than either OHMSS or TLD (the only ones I have on compact disc).

fair nuff! smile It's hard to argue against OHMSS or TLD
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    NP : THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - Elmer Bernstein

Well cool cool
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's lovely all right, but I can't see myself playing this more than either OHMSS or TLD (the only ones I have on compact disc).

OHMSS for me. Definitely OHMSS. The best action and the electronics are much better mixed with the orchestra. Though I love TLD.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Iron Eagle - Basil Poledouris

This Poledouris rocks your socks !
    Great action music al the way through and I just love that theme !
    Play it LOUD !

punk

If you say it rocks your socks it should rock mine too. Since I'm just discovering older and long ignored scores I'll be obliged to check it out. smile

Is it as good as Robocop or Starship Troopers?

That's a hard thing to ask a Poledouris fan Gilles ! wink
    I just love the theme and action tracks used throughout the ost .
    I also have a soft spot for the movie - it brings me right back to the
    days of my massive video rentings I did at the time . I rented Iron
    Eagle quite a few times . Just give it a spin , I'm shure there are
    tracks on there that will rock your socks as well ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Okay, I'll be sure to put them on when I put on the score ! Going to look for it now.
  6. CD2 of the Bernstein Box -- "The Journey of Natty Gann" (rejected).

For the most part I am just not connecting with this score. It also lacks the more lush and complex orchestrations Horner's score provides. It also sound, for the most part (not all) servicable to the film, while Horner's score reeks of emotions and heart is such a good way, it's amazing the night and day difference in that area.

I only saw the film once a couple decades ago and dont' recall very much at all, but it seems to me Horner nailed it, and just "got it" more than Elmer did, which is kind of remarkable considering Bernstein's scoring history.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tintin wrote
    The Greatest Game Ever Played Brian Tyler

Temp track influences aside (James Horner and Thomas Newman), this is a very entertaining album to listen to. Not sure about golf being the greatest game ever played though!

I guess Tiger Woods' girlfriends have something else to say wink

Which one of them all?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

OHMSS for me. Definitely OHMSS. The best action and the electronics are much better mixed with the orchestra. Though I love TLD.

Oh Hen my sassy sista? confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Balto - James Horner

It doesn't matter that everybody seems to be mad about this score, it just doesn't do anything for me. There are maybe 3-4 tracks that I love but I find the rest rather boring and without direction. I've been trying to "get into" this score for about 5 years now but probably I have to give up. It's still Horner's weakest animation score in my opinion - and not among his top film scores either.
  7. keky wrote
    Balto - James Horner

It doesn't matter that everybody seems to be mad about this score, it just doesn't do anything for me. There are maybe 3-4 tracks that I love but I find the rest rather boring and without direction. I've been trying to "get into" this score for about 5 years now but probably I have to give up. It's still Horner's weakest animation score in my opinion - and not among his top film scores either.

You know what, I'm not crazy about this one either, and I'm a big Horner nut (or used to be). 3-4 tracks is about all I love too. Give me We're Back!, Land Before Time or both of the Fievel's any hour of the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    Balto - James Horner

You do express some odd opinions!

Fair 'nuff.

Still, 3-4 tracks you "love" isn't exactly something to complain about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love Balto - not every track may be fantastic, but I love the themes and it has lots of powerful, emotional moments.

The Land Before Time is quite beautiful though. I must check out We're Back and American Tail (which I don't remember)

Just Played: The Little Mermaid - Alan Menken

His first score and it's really good. This main title is one of the best from Disney.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    You Only Live Twice (John Barry)

My favourite Bond score. I love the action music. I love the romantic music. I love the Japanese-tinged passages.

My favourite Barry Bond score.

NP:Cleopatra (Jones)

A little bit repetitive. But the best fussion of Golden age music and new age music.

I love the mind blowing "Egypt is yours".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

I really enjoy this, one of the better fantasy scores of recent times IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

I really enjoy this, one of the better fantasy scores of recent times IMO.

In fact, I think it's an EXCELLENT score. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HUNTING PARTY - Rolfe Kent

My favourite play at the moment, a sort of cross between John Barry, David Arnold and Mychael Danna. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Gorgeous, exotic score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Take A Hard Ride Jerry Goldsmith

This contains my favourite Goldsmith western theme, but this score badly needs a rerecording. cry

In fact, you could make one hell of an album with just Goldsmith's western themes. Kunzel or Gerhardt would have been the perfect candidates for such an album.

.....cry cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent theme for sure but not as good as Breakheart Pass.....IMO of course. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Sun Also Rises - Joe Hisaishi

Gorgeous stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Excellent theme for sure but not as good as Breakheart Pass.....IMO of course. wink

Shit, I forgot about that one. Ridonkculously catchy... like all of Goldsmith's western tunes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Influenced by Steven I've just been playing a list of great themes including Take A Hard Ride, Breakheart Pass and Bandolero, other composers have included John Williams end credits for The Poseidon Adventure and main titles such as Earthquake, Barry's Zulu and a few others. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    NP:Cleopatra (north)

It's so colorful!!!! and I like so much the main theme (think I can't say about a lot of Golden Age scores).

this scores always amazes me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Influenced by Steven I've just been playing a list of great themes including Take A Hard Ride, Breakheart Pass and Bandolero,

I love Goldsmith´s westerns main themes, but I find it pretty tough to listen to the whole scores.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Influenced by Steven I've just been playing a list of great themes including Take A Hard Ride, Breakheart Pass and Bandolero,

I love Goldsmith´s westerns main themes, but I find it pretty tough to listen to the whole scores.

For me, Goldsmith's western score are like a niche interest within a niche interest, and I absolutely love them! But I can completely understand why others don't - they don't always make for the most pleasant listens, especially if you're not a fan of that type of score (I'm usually not, but Goldsmith's westerns seem to click with me unlike, say, Morricone westerns).

Inchon Jerry Goldsmith

It's a lazy Sunday and I think I'll dedicate most it to listening to unfamiliar Goldsmith scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    NP: Defiance - James Newton Howard

One of my favourites from 2008. Felt like listening to the dissonant, threatening horn-based buildup (starting at 0:38) in the unreleased Tank cue today, which I really like a lot. Beats me why they didn't include it on the OST. Apart from the lovely violin solos, a favourite portion is the dramatic second half of the "Bielski Otriad". Excellent score.