• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I know what you mean by Goldsmith.
    I think there's pretty strong continuity in Bernard Herrmann's work as well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Elmer Bernstein's the ultimate example for me. So little was different about his composing style in 2003 compared with 1953. (Ironically Horner has changed a huge amount, but I think you probably meant something else in your original post.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I know what you mean by Goldsmith.
    I think there's pretty strong continuity in Bernard Herrmann's work as well.

I think that it's endemic to their musical background, how certain things get repeated. Though I'm definitely of the mindset that Horner is more lazy than not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard

Currently listening to "Am I Not Merciful" and its thundering liturgy of dread and drama. It's epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The apparent lack of irony in the above post, considering what was said in the one above it, is quite amusing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    The apparent lack of irony in the above post, considering what was said in the one above it, is quite amusing.

Zimmer wasn't lazy in Gladiator. Lazy in King Arthur, yes.

Horner continuing to rewrite the same cues 20 years later, that's abject indolence.
  2. Southall wrote
    Elmer Bernstein's the ultimate example for me. So little was different about his composing style in 2003 compared with 1953. (Ironically Horner has changed a huge amount, but I think you probably meant something else in your original post.)

I agree about Bernstein.
    With Horner, I don't think I'm responding to any direct lifts in NATTY GANN, just a general sense of being able to guess where the music goes next, being a bit too familiar with the style Horner writes in in general to enjoy new material.
    The mode it's written in - bold-yet-folky Americana - isn't quite my favourite genre either. I like the gentler tracks, but the more strident ones just don't move me.

(BTW, I know it's ironic that I find Desplat's stuff tirelessly interesting, even though he has a sound as much as the next guy. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Zimmer wasn't lazy in Gladiator.

We clearly have different definitions of the word. I like the Lisa Gerrard stuff, it's quite creative and fits the music video nature of the film, so if he had any hand in the creation of that then I wouldn't necessarily apply the word to it (though it is quite similar to earlier work by Gerrard, so I guess a lot of that stuff's by her); the rest is largely recycled from other works, some by Zimmer and many not.

Of course, I'm forgetting that when Horner does it it's abject indolence, but when anyone else does it it's fine. The joys of double standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard

One of the best Zimmer score. Just starting the first track, going into the second. Contemplative cues matching the visuals perfectly. Leading into the third track, "The Battle". Love the General's theme...

Absolutely fantastic. One of those scores that elevates the movie it accompanies to great levels. Even the people who're not usually into film music, i am sure, they were even subconsciously, moved (in different ways yes) by the kind and presence of music in that film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Crimson Tide (Hans Zimmer)

Of course, the main theme and the Russian theme are highly memorable. But suspense music, with so many cheap electroncis is rather boring to my ears.

Exactly. Brilliant of this score just stops with Main theme, after that just electronics and synthesizers, just boring and annoying. This is the only score by Hans Zimmer that i don't appreciate much. I just listen to opening track and stop it. I cannot listen further. Just sucks!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote
    Zimmer wasn't lazy in Gladiator.

Of course, I'm forgetting that when Horner does it it's abject indolence, but when anyone else does it it's fine. The joys of double standards.

I really don't want to start/get into, another conversation about Horner. Here's what I'll say.

Yes, we clearly have a different definition of lazy. I find it sad that Horner is still reusing the same passages from 10-20 years ago and it's not lazy. While you can fault Zimmer (in Gladiator) for using the sound (via orchestration/arrangement, mind you, while not literally reusing the same passage of music with additional instrumentation on top) that he's only "evolved" into from 5-6 years prior. There's a difference between revisiting the same sound and writing style versus taking the same themes/passages and arranging/orchestrating something passably new.

Okay, let's take Zimmer away from the conversation.

Listening to James Horner it's like having the same cut of New York Sirloin being cooked 20 ways, versus having different cut of steak being cooked different way. Me, I can eat any kind cut of steak, but after a while, you prefer the latter method. And I know you can understand me, Southall. Horner is lazy, and Zimmer can be lazy, but considering what we were talking about, Horner is still lazy the way you can hear that he cut and paste things, add spices and pass it off as new. Zimmer does have his sound that you can clearly identify, but his Gladiator score doesn't share the same theme, the same passage, as The Peacemaker or Crimson Tide nor Muppet Treasure Island, or Prince of Eqypt. They do share certainly similarity in orchestration, sound wise, but that's not what we're really talking about here.

And that's all I'll say about this.

I still don't know why I'm typing this. I need to go spend sometime with my baby instead. Later.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    WP: Angels and Demons - Hans Zimmer

At the time of the score's release, I only heard a couple tracks from youtube. I've finally had the chance to listen to the entire score. I've been playing it all week punk

NP: Kurosawa - The Film Music Of Akira Kurosawa

I've had this compilation for a while. I watched a Kurosawa film for the first time today (Rashomon) and unfortunately it wasn't included on this compilation sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone

What a wonderful soundtrack! There are so many themes and such beautiful melodies. Definitely one of his bests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone

What a wonderful soundtrack! There are so many themes and such beautiful melodies. Definitely one of his bests.

Indeed, the themes are irresistible!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Wolfman - Elfman

Nice n dark! cool

And the last score I hear at home for now as I'm soon off on my cruise around New Zealand! Bon voyage!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A CRUISE?
    shocked

's allright for some I guess. sad
    wink

Have a great trip and a wonderful time, Randal!! wave

NP: Mustafa - Goran Bregovic
    The soundtrack to a Turkish documentary about Atatürk.
    Bregovic' typical melancholic Balkan style mixes well with the more Anatolian influences in this score. It's all quite moody, but very enjoyable.

EDIT: one oddity: the mix is SO close to the center, the score almost seems mono. Maybe it even is. It's very hard to say! confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Bregovic' typical melancholic Balkan style mixes well with the more Anatolian influences in this score. It's all quite moody, but very enjoyable.

I love learning new words!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Am I surprised I read it 'Mufasa' for a second?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I love learning new words!

In that occasitivity, I would strongly prepost to just redand close to me, and you might edifiluminate some things!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds like a smurfin' good idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You go wash out your mouth with soap, young man. angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    Am I surprised I read it 'Mufasa' for a second?

You shouldn't be. I'm not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Interesting. I thought it might be a documentary about the well-known constipated Turk, Mustafa Crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    IInterestingly that sort of remark can actually get you arrested in Turkey, where Atatürk is revered on a nigh-godhood level.
  3. John Williams - Black Sunday

Amazing thriller score. My copy from SAE still didn't come, but I can't help myself. The way the music gains intensity.

And Anthony, you should listen to this, this sounds a lot like Giacchino to me in parts.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've always maintained that Giacchino took a lot of his action music cues (pun intended smile ) from Williams. I was really hoping after the magnificent Secret Weapons Over Normandy we might see the successor of John Williams, but unfortunately (for me at least) at least the more melodic side of Giacchino's talent remains too underused.

I realize it's due to the demands of modern day film scoring, but I'd dearly love to hear some symphonic themes from him! Something on a "Raider's March"or "Princess Leia's Theme" level.
    I remain convinced he's the currently the best bet among young film composers to pull something like that off (if he should ever get the chance).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    IInterestingly that sort of remark can actually get you arrested in Turkey, where Atatürk is revered on a nigh-godhood level.

Thanks for the warning. I hope I remember it when I'm next in Constantinople.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I've always maintained that Giacchino took a lot of his action music cues (pun intended smile ) from Williams. I was really hoping after the magnificent Secret Weapons Over Normandy we might see the successor of John Williams, but unfortunately (for me at least) at least the more melodic side of Giacchino's talent remains too underused.

I realize it's due to the demands of modern day film scoring, but I'd dearly love to hear some symphonic themes from him! Something on a "Raider's March"or "Princess Leia's Theme" level.
    I remain convinced he's the currently the best bet among young film composers to pull something like that off (if he should ever get the chance).

I also held out that hope for him (and still do) but actually, I've found that side of him to be surprisingly absent. I know it's not always easy to put that kind of theme into a score these days, but he did have chance in Star Trek and, while the theme's good, it's hardly on the level of those two you mention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Thanks for the warning. I hope I remember it when I'm next in Constantinople.

I find referring to that lovely city as Byzantium tends to keep both Greeks and Turks happy.
    Well, not happy per se, but at least not immediately homicidal.