• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For me, my introduction to film scoring was through action films and I think that this shaped my preferences at this time. Also my viewing preferences (again action films rather than dramas, etc) meant that these action scores were what I was attracted to.

Even with having a soft spot for TV themes back then (with the immediacy they require) shaped my likes and dislikes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    As I do with Rambo

So who would win in a fight between RAMBO and MARIE WARD?

Marie Ward. She has faith.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    Plus a direct hotline to an Earth Mother/Isis type of Goddess.
    And you don't fuck around with Gods! (As Europa and Leto can attest to).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Plus a direct hotline to an Earth Mother/Isis type of Goddess.
    And you don't fuck around with Gods! (As Europa and Leto can attest to).

smile
  2. 1986 - Aliens - James Horner

I'm sticking to mainstream Hollywood with 1986 with this "score of two halves" that's got some great atmospheric tracks to begin the disc and then in the second half contains some of the most enjoyable, adrenaline-fueled action scoring I'd come across to that point in my soundtrack listening days. "Ripley's Rescue", "Futile Escape", "Going After Newt", "Bishop's Countdown" all magnificent tracks. I also love Horner's "arrangement" of Khachaturian's Gayane Adagio that bookends this score. Who cares if it's lifted, it's one of the coldest, loneliest pieces when used in the film. I remember someone saying recently that they preferred the original and shorter version but I thought that the deluxe edition added so much to the listening experience as a whole.

The score that was hot on the heals of Horner's score is Howard Shore's The Fly. Another score that has some powerhouse tracks - "Plasma Pool", "The Last Visit" & "The Finale" - that in themselves are up there with anything Horner does in Aliens but the level of enthusiasm I have for Shore's score isn't maintained as it is in Horner's science epic. Alan Silvestri's score Predator is worth a mention though I was disappointed with this one when I finally got my hands on it - and much prefer his score to the sequel as a standalone listening experience. Other worthy mentions to Michael Kamen's Highlander score and I look on hopefully for some sort of official release of the score, to Leonard Rosenman's Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Alfi Kabiljo's Sky Bandits.

A score I mention more because of the disappointment I felt when hearing it (because of the greatness of the first movie) is Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist II: The Other Side. I've never made the connection with this one for some reason, though the more recent expansion did add more of a choral aspect to the score that I found added enormously to the listening experience.

A final mention to a composer who in this year produced 3 scores worthy of at least one listen: Richard Band's scores for The Alchemist, Troll and Zone Troopers all have their merits and highlights though don't really sustain an entirely positive listening experience.

TV didn't really make much of a mark in 1986 with only Ken Freeman's theme to the BBC drama Casualty and Patrick Gower's involvement with Sherlock Holmes continuing with the Return of Sherlock Holmes series.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Looking back at my titles there's a bit of a sci-fi theme going on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    ALIENS used to be one of my favourite Horners, but not so much anymore. It's still a smokin' good score in context of the film, though. Hugely influential. And I agree, the Khachtaturan "adaptation" is really cool. The film is one of all-time favourites.

Other honorable 1986 mentions to Faltermeyer's TOP GUN, Badalamenti's BLUE VELVET, Silvestri's FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, Colombier's THE GOLDEN CHILD and Kamen's HIGHLANDER.

Ultimately, though, I would have to choose:

THE MISSION (Ennio Morricone)

PS. PREDATOR was a 1987 film.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

Goodness! So it is. Cheers.

1988 in the UK!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent choice Alan, ALIENS is unbeatable in this year IMO.

A very VERY close 2nd would be Morricone's THE MISSION.

A few worth mentioning that you missed out are Badalamenti's BLUE VELVET, Delerue's PLATOON and Ry Cooder's CROSSROADS ( though my favourite piece, and not on the album is Steve Vai's 'The Duel' where the kid plays against "the devil" at the end of the film ), I'll also mention Pete Best great theme for CROCODILE DUNDEE, the rest of the score is very hit/miss for me.

My 3rd place score is John Barry's HOWARD THE DUCK which I suspect you've never heard? It's a Barry favourite of mine though I'm sure the composer would rather wish it never existed wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. You probably remember my dislike for Morricone's The Mission - ruined to some extent by its constant playing on Classic FM. I wouldn't mind if they play something other than "Gabriel's Oboe" as there are one or two nice cues.

I've not heard much of the other titles mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interesting choices all around. My 4 main contenders for 1986 are Delerue's Crimes of the heart, Goodwin's Valhalla and Morricone's The mission and La venexiana. I worship them all almost equally, but I guess I'll go for the popular choice The mission. Valhalla would be my second choice.

Honorable mentions include Mancini's catchy The great mouse detective, Bernstein's silly Three amigos and Hisaishi's Laputa for having such a great theme.

In other words, a fantastic year.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    Aliens... hmmmm...I probably would have loved that score, had I not heard his Star Trek II and Star Trek III beforehand. In light of those two scores filled with massive awesomeness, Aliens -to me- is just more of the same.

For 1986 I absolutely adore Bernstein's Marie Ward, which is just one of the most soft and gentle scores ever.
    I also think Yared's Betty Blue has one of the most mesmerizing pieces of music in film music history ever.

But my -insanely controversial and agreed with by absolutely no one- pick o' the year would be Horner's Name Of The Rose. One of his darkest, least accessible, most sombre scores, this moody work nevertheless never fails to completely awe me. Not for an everyday listen, to be sure, but its evocative power easily makes it a standout to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    For 1986 I absolutely adore Bernstein's Marie Ward, which is just one of the most soft and gentle scores ever.

Marie Ward was covered in the year 1985 (see above somewhere).

I have a copy of Name of The Rose somewhere but I never listen to it. I listened to it when I first got it but that was it. Maybe something I should hunt out again occasionally?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Aliens... hmmmm...I probably would have loved that score, had I not heard his Star Trek II and Star Trek III beforehand. In light of those two scores filled with massive awesomeness, Aliens -to me- is just more of the same.

I also think Yared's Betty Blue has one of the most mesmerizing pieces of music in film music history ever.

But my -insanely controversial and agreed with by absolutely no one- pick o' the year would be Horner's Name Of The Rose. One of his darkest, least accessible, most sombre scores, this moody work nevertheless never fails to completely awe me. Not for an everyday listen, to be sure, but its evocative power easily makes it a standout to me.

Good call Martijn, I think you & I are among the "rare" people around to really appreciate Name of The Rose, same with Betty Blue which was my introduction to Yared's music.

Yet again I didn't look at the years releases close enough rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1986 - Aliens - James Horner

The correct choice was made, Alan! Well done! A masterpiece!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Cheers, Erik.

Personally, I can't see how anyone can't love the action scoring Horner has given us with this one. And the atmospheric cues...brilliantly eerie. And he manages to make these atmospheric cues not be boring.

I think that this is one of the areas where Goldsmith's Alien and Horner's Aliens scores are similar: atmospheric scoring that's so captivating that it gets right under the skin. In a good way, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    ALIENS used to be one of my favourite Horners, but not so much anymore. It's still a smokin' good score in context of the film, though. Hugely influential. And I agree, the Khachtaturan "adaptation" is really cool. The film is one of all-time favourites.

Other honorable 1986 mentions to Faltermeyer's TOP GUN, Badalamenti's BLUE VELVET, Silvestri's FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, Colombier's THE GOLDEN CHILD and Kamen's HIGHLANDER.

Ultimately, though, I would have to choose:

THE MISSION (Ennio Morricone)

Thor this was a no brainer from the outset. I could argue it is Ennio's best work. The problem is Morricone is considered less than from the moronic Oscar committee.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom... fix your quote tags.

sdtom wrote
    The problem is Morricone is considered less than from the moronic Oscar committee.

So the honorary Oscar means nothing then.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. To me honorary awards tend to be awarded to people who haven't been awarded anything through the usual route but who are universally deemed to merit an award anyway because of the quantity (and quality) of their body of work. Oh, and because - in everyone's estimation - they're probably going to die within the next 3-4 years and if they don't give the recipient one now then it may be too late.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Marie Ward was covered in the year 1985 (see above somewhere).

And so it was.

I have it filed under 1986, as that's the year of the album release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Good call Martijn, I think you & I are among the "rare" people around to really appreciate Name of The Rose, same with Betty Blue which was my introduction to Yared's music.

Yet again I didn't look at the years releases close enough rolleyes

I like BETTY BLUE and NAME OF THE ROSE too. The latter is particularly excellent in the bleak film, and a great example of an electronic-based score working in a period film! Especially for those who only demand classical orchestral scores for such films (which in this case would have been equally out of place).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

sdtom wrote
    The problem is Morricone is considered less than from the moronic Oscar committee.

So the honorary Oscar means nothing then.

-Erik-

The honorary Oscar means nothing. I would liken it to being given a gold watch after working 40 years for a company. Like Alex North he was very deserving of the statue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FIX YOUR TAGS, TOM!

The honorary Oscar means NOTHING? Are you serious? I would love to have an honorary Oscar! You get a tribute video of your work, the entire audience is paying attention to no one but you, you know you have won the award ahead of time, it's an award for your BODY of work and not just one score, plus you get to get to give a nice lengthy speech and have a kick ass seat at the award ceremony. I wouldn't mind owning a gold watch if it looked like THIS.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I got it fixed, no worries.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Cheers, Erik.

Personally, I can't see how anyone can't love the action scoring Horner has given us with this one. And the atmospheric cues...brilliantly eerie. And he manages to make these atmospheric cues not be boring.

I think that this is one of the areas where Goldsmith's Alien and Horner's Aliens scores are similar: atmospheric scoring that's so captivating that it gets right under the skin. In a good way, of course.

I grew up with Aliens, so I love both the atmospheric and the brilliant orchestral thumpers, this is a 5 star score, no doubt about it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ true.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ true.

No, D....FACT! wink
  10. Glad to see so many comments this time round. Sometimes the years can be a bit lean in terms of comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    The honorary Oscar means NOTHING? Are you serious? I would love to have an honorary Oscar! You get a tribute video of your work, the entire audience is paying attention to no one but you, you know you have won the award ahead of time, it's an award for your BODY of work and not just one score, plus you get to get to give a nice lengthy speech and have a kick ass seat at the award ceremony. I wouldn't mind owning a gold watch if it looked like THIS.

-Erik-

^^^^^^
    The Truth

Honorary Oscar >>> Regular Oscar. A regular Oscar is about a single project, and who wins it depends on alot more than just the quality of the work. An honorary Oscar is given based on a less haphazard and more reasoned overview over an entire career. Also, Morricone got almost 15 minutes of the Oscar show devoted to him. Considering the extreme time constraints in that show, I wonder if any other artist has ever grabbed so much of the show before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is a tag. Remember I'm really stupid. Oh wait you know that. I'm confident that Ennio would have rather gotten an Oscar for the Mission than an honorary recognition.
    Thomas