• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    What is a tag. Remember I'm really stupid. Oh wait you know that. I'm confident that Ennio would have rather gotten an Oscar for the Mission than an honorary recognition.
    Thomas

Correction... I'm confident Morricone would have loved to win an Oscar for The Mission but was honored to accept the Honorary Oscar for his entire body of work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is a tag????????????????
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure the Oscars mean much more to you than to the actual composers smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hardly when the academy chose Round Midnight that year. With choices like that I could care less about what they think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is a tag
  1. sdtom wrote
    What is a tag????????????????

It's all the square bracketed "instructions" used to bold and quote things in comments people make.

There was a problem with the layout of these tags in your original comment that meant that the layout was not the way you wanted. D fixed for you.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    thanks D so much and thanks for explaining it to me Alan
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I disagree. I think anyone who wins and Academy Award is tickled pink.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's true. But for the rest, it doesn't mean that their future and lives are hanging from the Oscars. Plus you've got to admit that they have lost most of their glamor and elegance from the past; they are year by year resorting into the same tricks the cheap wide popular media events are pulling, like the mtv awards, grammies etc etc, it's all a big publicity party which lasts for a few hours and also awards people nobody will remember next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

it means more money to them Erik so of course they are 'tickled pink' about it as it translate into bigger assignments where they get more money.
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, that's true. But for the rest, it doesn't mean that their future and lives are hanging from the Oscars. Plus you've got to admit that they have lost most of their glamor and elegance from the past; they are year by year resorting into the same tricks the cheap wide popular media events are pulling, like the mtv awards, grammies etc etc, it's all a big publicity party which lasts for a few hours and also awards people nobody will remember next year.

Couldn't agree more 'D' it is basically a bunch of crap. I won't waste my time watching it anymore.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

it means more money to them Erik so of course they are 'tickled pink' about it as it translate into bigger assignments where they get more money.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The material that has won lately makes me want to throw up. And it looks like Social Network is going to be nominated for best score, yuk.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And you only have the composers to blame for this.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And your producers and directors tolerate it. That rowing scene in Social Network with the synthesized Anitra's Dance was just awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm talking about the nominations, Tom. You only have composers who are Academy member to blame for the nominations.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But the producer and director tolerate this nonsense composers call music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stravinsky's opinion is coming true. A lot of this is just wallpaper/filler
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm talking about the nominations, Tom. You only have composers who are Academy member to blame for the nominations.

-Erik-

No matter who's to blame, it's a fact that the oscars have been getting more and more ridiculous each year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    And your producers and directors tolerate it. That rowing scene in Social Network with the synthesized Anitra's Dance was just awful.

It wasn't "Anita's dance", it was "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (although both are from PEER GYNT). IMO, that was one of the highlights of last year's 'scenes-with-music'. I've never heard electronic renditions of classical music as good since Wendy Carlos ruled the world.

I loved the whole score and film. Not THE best film/score from 2010, but one of them, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

It wasn't "Anita's dance", it was "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (although both are from PEER GYNT). IMO, that was one of the highlights of last year's 'scenes-with-music'. I've never heard electronic renditions of classical music as good since Wendy Carlos ruled the world.

I loved the whole score and film. Not THE best film/score from 2010, but one of them, for sure.

I stand corrected, I was wrong. It is the Hall of the Mountain King. I mix those two up for some stupid reason. And I still believe it is worthy of a symphony orchestra. Synthesized is not the place for that. Bach is one thing for Carlos or Tomita not this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    1987?

A toss up between John Barry, Alan Silvestri, Basil Poledouris and John Williams for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'll try and sort this one today. It's been a bit of a shitty day and I need something to lift the spirits a bit. And putting the final touches to this may be just what I need.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    good
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In your own time, I wasn't trying to rush you, more show that this thread still has great interest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I know. But these comments do refocus my attention. And Tom is clearly chomping at the bit to get going himself. wink
  4. 1987 - RoboCop - Basil Poledouris

This is a score that I instantly fell in love with the moment I heard it whilst watching the film (and edges it over a score that I've come to love almost as much after having heard it long after the film has come and gone - more on that later).

Rightly so this score is talked about most because of the huge action scoring: tracks like "Rock Shop" and "Showdown" that showcase Robo's theme are to me stunning examples of a master at work. And they would get played time-and-time again in every version of this score I've had over the years. The inclusion of "Drive Montage" in the recent Intrada release was icing on the cake when it came to Robo's theme and it's various versions heard in the movie. But just as loved are the more emotionally-driven, quieter cues. Poledouris provides such an emotional power to the main character through his music in tracks such as (using the more recent track titles) "Murphy Goes Home" and "Force Shoots Robo" that these cues are just as hard-hitting than the action cues. And a mention for "Clarence Frags Bob". Not much to this track but I just love it!!

Bill Conti's Masters of The Universe is the score that comes a close second to RoboCop. I find that there's nothing too subtle about this score with there being action cue after action cue but I just love the rousing main theme every time I hear it. Predator (bumped from 1986 to 1987) still gets a mention as a contender this year. And mention must also be made of Christopher Young's Hellraiser score: a very creepy theme for a surprisingly subdued score in the main (at least compared to the sequel) that definitely sets things in place for the aforementioned sequel.

There's a lot from 1987 that I've not heard and some well-known scores that I find interesting (and worth listening to) only occasionally (e.g., Morricone's The Untouchables and Poledouris' other efforts from this year, Cherry 2000 and Amerika). But Georges Delerue should definitely get a mention for his lovely theme to Un Homme Amoureux and the use of John Barry's The Living Daylights' theme in the film of the same name and Alexander Courage's music (original as well as older music from John Williams) in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace are scores I enjoy.

TV themes are a bit thin on the ground again but Barrington Pheulong's theme for Inspector Morse is a wonderful piece for TV and for some reason I enjoy Peter Breiner and Don Gillis' music composed for the Australian TV series Anne of Green Gables!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My pick is PREDATOR. Followed by, in no particular order...

WITCHES OF EASTWICK (Williams)
    EMPIRE OF THE SUN (Williams)
    LETHAL WEAPON (Kamen)
    LIONHEART (Goldsmith)
    ROBOCOP (Poledouris)
    HELLRAISER (Young)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    soft spot in my heart for Hellraiser
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    My pick is PREDATOR. Followed by, in no particular order...

And your wife's also? wink

Predator is an excellent score but I find it works better in the movie than as a listening experience (as it should). For me, RoboCop is most excellent.

The others that I have not mentioned but which you have are scores that I have not heard. I'm particularly interested to hear The Witches of Eastwick - whenever that score gets the expanded/remastered treatment. Lethal Weapon was a limited release wasn't it? And I think I missed it.

[EDIT] Apparently I do have Empire of The Sun!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My choice is easily John Barry's THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, his best Bond score since On Her Majesty's Secret Service, varied and chock full of themes and not one but three great songs. Still one of the most played albums in my entire collection.

ROBOCOP is my 2nd choice followed by the two John williams scores.