• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wow, I just realized that I do not own a single score from 1987! Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    Honorable mentions to CRY FREEDOM (George Fenton), HELLRAISER (Christopher Young), PELLE THE CONQUEROR (Stefan Nilsson, undoubtedly the greatest theme that year), PREDATOR (Alan Silvestri), THE RUNNING MAN (Harold Faltermeyer) and WITCHES OF EASTWICK (John Williams).

Ultimately, though, the winner would have to be:

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (John Williams)

Sorry, no room for ROBOCOP on my list. Great theme, but the rest of the score leaves me cold.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    I mean, seriously, just listen to the PELLE theme and tell me it doesn't tear your heart out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yyRbgBoh2Q
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Empire of the Sun is the real winner but the soft spot wins out on my list although I should relisten to Empire as it has been awhile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No such thing in this instance as a "real winner" Tom, just a matter of opinions, no more and no less and that IS a FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Robocop also left me kind of cold except for Rock Shop.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    No such thing in this instance as a "real winner" Tom, just a matter of opinions, no more and no less and that IS a FACT!

You don't understand. If I was voting I would give the nod to Empire but my heart says otherwise.
  3. But it's from the heart we want to hear in this topic - it is a "favourites" list rather than a "best" list. I couldn't possibly assess what's the best.

I would leave that to the Academy. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bless the Academy, how else would we know what is "best" wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just remember that it was the academy that chose "Talk to the Animals" over "The Look of Love" in the 60's. I've been suspect of them ever since.

I think you all know what I'm talking about. My favorites list would be a bit tainted for sure. But my true feeling as to what the clear winner is in my opinion is different and I must say valid.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    A very prodigious year, with some of the greats churning out multiple scores.
    Poledouris' thunderous, industrial-age Robocop would be my number one, too, by a mile.

But there are many scores worth of attention in this year, most of which have been mentioned earlier already.
    Just a quick nod to Harold Faltermeyer's work on The Running Man, which -while far from being excellent- I have always liked in a TRON/Terminator kind of way for its electronics.
    Also Dennis McCarthy deserves some mention for his more or less ambient work on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    Not something I personally enjoy at all, but it definitely created a soundscape that is -to this day- very recognisable, and was one of the pioneering efforts in getting orchestras (rather than synthesizers) back into TV scoring.

And last but not least, Carl Davis did some great work in 1987 on recreating a score for 1925's Ben Hur! (And Buster Keaton's The General as well). This is worthy of mention as it introduced a long line of silent film music recreations by the man, some of which I have been fortunate enough to be able to see live!

My top 5:
    1. Robocop
    2. Empire Of The Sun
    3. Lionheart
    4. Witches Of Eastwick
    5. Un Homme Amoureux

EDIT: only just noticed Thor already referenced The Running Man.
    Well. Thor would. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    I'm feeling comfortable to step in this discussion/thread. wink

For 1987 (2 years after I was born, and in which we my parents were already confronted with large head full of brains and my special abilities to abilify) I choose Empire of the Sun! It's a favourite ever since Bob said I had to listen ot a track once, and then I was hooked. Lots of music to enjoy, with absolute charming and memorable themes. The finale is drool!

Robocop I never really liked, somehow, a bit. Sorry.

As for 1986, like Martijn, the theme from Betty Blue is so lovely and hypnotic. I also like L'Amant, which I somehow always associate with this one, for no particular reason other than its equally fine theme I think.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    (2 years after I was born, and in which we my parents were already confronted with large head full of brains and my special abilities to abilify)

Yet another highly memorable quote from the MT-God. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    Bregt wrote

Yeah, see.... WRONG.
    And there ya go. It's that simple.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yeah, see.... WRONG.
    And there ya go. It's that simple.

From God to Australopithicus in one statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2011
    Thor wrote
    I mean, seriously, just listen to the PELLE theme and tell me it doesn't tear your heart out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yyRbgBoh2Q

Indeed, extraordinary theme! The secondary theme is equally breahtaking.

Though my winner of 1987 is The untouchables. Several themes that are among my all-time favourites. My all-time favourite triumphant theme (End title), my all-time favourite sad/death theme (Four friends), my all-time favourite love/family theme (Ness and his family).

The other Morricone scores for Gli occhiali d'oro (gorgeous score in the Cinema Paradiso vein) and Il giorno prima (with one of my all-time favourite horror themes) are worth mentioning as well.

My favourites by other composers have been mentioned: The living daylights, Amerika, Pelle the conqueror, Hellraiser and Empire of the sun.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2011
    Damn, how did I miss THE UNTOUCHABLES?

BRILLIANT score!

all the ones I mentioned still stand but my top 3 ( in an incredibly fantastic year ) are now...

1. THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    2. THE UNTOUCHABLES
    3. ROBOCOP
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011
    Empire of the Sun is the clear winner IMHO
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It comes 4th and 5th for me Tom, along with the excellent Witches of Eastwick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

There is something that is so captivating and delicate about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

There is something that is so captivating and delicate about it.

I think it's a very good film too, very underappreciated amongst Spielberg's works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sometimes it is just hard to choose and as you said Timmer there is no clear winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Damn, how did I miss THE UNTOUCHABLES?

angry

Timmer wrote
    BRILLIANT score!

all the ones I mentioned still stand but my top 3 ( in an incredibly fantastic year ) are now...

1. THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    2. THE UNTOUCHABLES
    3. ROBOCOP

That's better then! biggrin

The living daylights is also one of my favourites. Certainly my favourite Bond.

I didn't mention The witches of Eastwick but that's also a real gem. The movie is pretty good too.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    Bond and Morricone will always prevail with certain people
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Bond and Morricone will always prevail with certain people

I've been very honest with my choices, all of them based on how much I like the score and how much I play it, whether it fits perfectly in the film is totally secondary for me in these choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You've made your point well Tim which I for one respect. Having said that I would have voted for Psycho as a perfect score for the film itself not a separate listening experience. This is something the academy failed to do. While I enjoy Exodus, Magnificent Seven, The Alamo, and Spartacus they all can't hold a candle as to the partnering of film and music with Psycho. Separate listening is a different story and it is hard not to choose Alamo, Seven, or Exodus because of the wonderful thematic material.

I have so little time these days for the Academy as most of you know. True Grit is an Oscar film? Nope.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you on Psycho, it's an amazing film score with an influence that is never ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011
    And yet as a stand alone listening experience I have a problem with it. The Salonen suite however is superb
  4. It's great how opinions differ with scores: I really enjoy Psycho both in the film and as a separate listening experience. I find the way in which Herrmann plays with the limited tools he uses to be captivating.

Yes, there are points in the score where it hits the mark in terms of on-screen support, but most of the rest is a highlight of the composer's talent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's great how opinions differ with scores: I really enjoy Psycho both in the film and as a separate listening experience. I find the way in which Herrmann plays with the limited tools he uses to be captivating.

Yes, there are points in the score where it hits the mark in terms of on-screen support, but most of the rest is a highlight of the composer's talent.

As does Baxter to me