• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    1989 goes down as one of the finest years of film music ever! Have a look through this article for an incredible list of film scores written in 1989.

-Erik-

Darn! I wish I'd seen this list earlier, there's some absolute corkers NO ONE has mentioned.

In my own ( not necessary ) defence, 1989 - 90 were two years where I was almost totally out of the film music loop due to widespread travelling.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Glory is my favorite score from 1989. Others that I really like from that year that haven't been mentioned, unless I failed to notice, are Field of Dreams (if only for the amazing finale cue), and Holdridge's Old Gringo.

You know that Charging Fort Wagner is based on Orff's Carmina Burana wink

Totally. So too is one of Williams's tracks from his olympics music. I don't remember the name of it. Charging Fort Wagner doesn't sound too much like Carmina Burana melodically until the end, where it's nearly identical. I prefer Horner's rip off to Orff's original!

I was having an ironic jest with you Chris, I'd just read your profile before using that reply. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    Excellent choice Alan!!! I'll start when you finish in the meantime I'm just a tease
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Ha! The joke's on me, Tim. I wondered about it, but thought I'd better play it straight. Thanks for checking out my profile. I didn't realize anyone would ever look at that. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    It wasn't a joke at your expense Chris, I like to check peoples profiles and know a bit more about them. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    Excellent choice Alan!!! I'll start when you finish in the meantime I'm just a tease

We do agree sometimes Alan!!!!
  2. sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

We do agree sometimes Alan!!!!

Yes we do!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011
    cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011
    I wonder what treasures await 1990?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    1989 goes down as one of the finest years of film music ever! Have a look through this article for an incredible list of film scores written in 1989.

-Erik-

Darn! I wish I'd seen this list earlier, there's some absolute corkers NO ONE has mentioned.

In my own ( not necessary ) defence, 1989 - 90 were two years where I was almost totally out of the film music loop due to widespread travelling.

Nothing on that list, really, that would have made MY list that I hadn't already considered or included above.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I really need to keep doing this more regularly. I will try and get another year up today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    I look forward to it, I know what my choice is.
  4. 1990 - Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

These choices are becoming more and more difficult and I am finding myself asking more and more frequently "If I were to choose to listen to just one of these, which one would it be?" when I have 2-3 real favourites to choose from.

And this year it's Total Recall. There's nothing subtle about this choice; no carefully measured thematic development. It's just out-and-out action scoring at its best from Jerry Goldsmith. Bookended by a couple of his best, this grabs your attention right from the outset and end with music that makes you want to listen to it again. A brilliant blend of orchestra and electronics (for once!).

Two other "main contenders" for 1990 were John Barry's Dances With Wolves and Alan Silvestri's Predator 2 (though with the latter score there's only 3-4 tracks I regularly listen to). Other scores worthy of mention: Danny Elfman's Edward Scissorhands, Georges Delerue's Joe Versus The Volcano and Frédéric Talgorn's Robotjox. They all have quality tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011 edited
    Yeah, I had a feeling the space between additions was largely due to your difficulty in choosing, Alan.

Anyways, not a bad choice with TOTAL RECALL.

My honorable mentions would include that one, as well as TWIN PEAKS (Badalamenti), BACK TO THE FUTURE III (Silvestri), DAYS OF THUNDER (Zimmer), DICK TRACY (Elfman), FLATLINERS (James N. Howard), GREEN CARD (Zimmer), GREMLINS 2 (Goldsmith), HOME ALONE (Williams), QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (Poledouris), SHIPWRECKED (Doyle) and STANLEY & IRIS (Williams).

Probably no surprise, though, that the winner would have to be:

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (Danny Elfman)

Very great year, this!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. As usual Thor, there are many of these titles I have not come across (some scores are from film genres that don't interest me (and so haven't heard in situ) and others that are difficult to find). Certainly you have padded out my list of "to do" scores again.

Would you know whether non-Hollywood films were going through a bad patch at this time? I don't have many foreign film scores from this time (Cosma is probably my biggest representative from this time) and you haven't mentioned any.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    Probably no surprise from me that the best score of 1990 is JOHN BARRY's DANCES WITH WOLVES

TOTAL RECALL runs a very close 2nd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, Before any of those there's quite a few scores I'd place over that one from that glorious year that gave us Elmer Bernstein's lovely little The Field, Serge Franklin's fascinating L'Enfant Des Loups, George Fenton's stunning and beautiful Memphis Belle and Randy Newman's thoroughly melancholic Avalon.

To me the toss-up would be between Poledouris' Quigley Down Under, the sameself's The Hunt For Red October and John Scott's massively underappreciated William The Conqueror.

Based on theme, energy, versatility, melody and harmony (and pure personal preferential bias) Quigley Down Under would come out on top.
    But the excellent and very clever William The Conqueror would be a very close second.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    LIONHEART (Goldsmith)

That one was quite a bit older: it's from 1987. smile
    The 1990 score was for a Van Damme "kick your way out of a plot" vehicle, scored by John Scott. shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    LIONHEART (Goldsmith)

The 1990 score was for a Van Damme "kick your way out of a plot" vehicle, scored by John Scott. shocked

Oh. Then strike that from the list and replace it with QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER. I don't think there's much to Poledouris' HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER beyond the theme, so that didn't make the cut for me. But QUIGLEY is fun. Forgot about that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
    The Danny Elfman score gets my vote
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011 edited
    Not me Tom.

It's a big, firm fan favourite but I can't take much of it, it makes me feel queasy, there's a saccharine nature to it I don't like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Dances With Wolves was my second choice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My second is TOTAL RECALL but Poledouris HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER is up there too.
  6. Elfman gets my #1 spot, Quigley is #2, Wolves #3.

I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't own Total Recall. I think it's somewhere on my list of things to get... I've heard highlights from Memphis Belle and they were excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    It was a very good year!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    1990, what a fabulous year! These are my favourites scores from that year, and I'm not sure how to rank them: Quigley down under (Poledouris), Edward Scissorhands (Elfman), Atame! (Morricone), Joe versus the volcano (Delerue), The russia house (Goldsmith), Total recall (Goldsmith), Dances with wolves (Barry), Home alone (Williams).

It's also worth mentioning Badalamenti's Twin Peaks for its brilliant themes. I can't imagine that series without the music, and I doubt anyone else can. As "film" music this is a supreme success, considering how the themes became so loved and helped make the series what it is. Oh, and Presumed innocent by Williams is worth a mention. Perhaps it's not very Williamsy, which might explain why it's one of his least loved scores, and it might explain why it appeals to me so much. Oh, and in my top3 of all-time favourite themes is the theme from Morricone's Cacciatore di navi. As an album it's not something to write home about, but the theme is just pure magic. Oh, and Edelman's Kindergarten cop might not be considered a masterpiece, but it's certainly the cutest and most heart-warming score of 1990.

Peter smile
  7. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    LIONHEART (Goldsmith)

which is a kick ass score all the same, Goldsmith's version easily wins but Scott's powerful orchestral score is a fantastic experience all the same
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    It's also worth mentioning Badalamenti's Twin Peaks for its brilliant themes.

Oh man, was that 1990? Something told it was a year later.

Anyways, that is near the top of my list....heck, that series (and music) inspired me to write a friggin' novel (as I also told Badalamenti in Ghent last year, upon which he said "you should make a film out of it and give me a call!").
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Anyways, that is near the top of my list....heck, that series (and music) inspired me to write a friggin' novel (as I also told Badalamenti in Ghent last year, upon which he said "you should make a film out of it and give me a call!").

Wow, cool!

Yep, the series ran from april 1990 to june 1991. I remember watching it as a kid and loving it. The music has stayed with me ever since.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Wow, cool!

Yep, the series ran from april 1990 to june 1991. I remember watching it as a kid and loving it. The music has stayed with me ever since.

Peter smile

I think TWIN PEAKS may very well be my first soundtrack EVER, although I'm crappy at remembering such things. All I remember is that I made a cassette copy of the soundtrack CD (which I must have borrowed from someone) and drew my own cover with Kyle MacLachlan's head on it in b/w. This was at least 2-3 years before I became REALLY interested in film music and long before I got my first soundtrack on CD. I played the cassette to death while I wrote my novel by hand! smile

Oh, the memories.
    I am extremely serious.