• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    ...and I can't see how you can't see the appeal of!? confused ...or more accurately 'hear'.

How wonderfully different we all are.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. It is great how different we all are. Sometimes things just don't "click" and these two are good examples. BTW, both have been listened to without having seen the films.i
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    ...and I can't see how you can't see the appeal of!? confused ...or more accurately 'hear'.

How wonderfully different we all are.

No, no.
    He's just wrong.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is great how different we all are. Sometimes things just don't "click" and these two are good examples. BTW, both have been listened to without having seen the films.i

I haven't seen either film too.

oh yeah, and Martijn is right, you're WRONG! tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Secrets of the Sahara and Cinema Paradiso are two scores that I just can't see the appeal of!

I don't like you anymore. sad

wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Alan, it might help to see Cinema Paradiso. Good movie if you like nostalgia. That said, my own love of this score is not because of the movie, but because of the three exquisite themes. I remember though that it took me a long time to fall for the main theme. I had it on compilations in my early days of Morricone collecting and somehow it never clicked for me. For some reason it took years for me to know it properly and recognize just how good it really is.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cinema Paradiso is one of the better scores from the pen of Ennio
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011
    I will do something soon to get Alan's attention you just wait and see
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011 edited
    Don't do it Tom, I can't imagine Alan will want to see you running around in your undercrackers loudly la la la'ing the theme to A Summer Place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    sdtom wrote
    I will do something soon to get Alan's attention you just wait and see

Tom, for goodness sake, just go ahead and do what you are always threatening to do. I don't know why you seem to feel you have to wait for me to finish with this topic before you can start your own. If you have a topic where you want to talk about your favourites then you just go right ahead.

It seems you are itching to get started.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 1989 - Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - John Williams

I'm a bit surprised that I have gone for this one as I think I went with Elfman's Batman last time. But re-listening to them both again (I think both have had an expansion since I did this list last) Williams' score is a more enjoyable overall listen. It has lots going for it: a continuation of the Raider's march into a third film, some excellent set piece tracks such as "Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra", but most of all there's the new thematic material heard in tracks such as "The Penitent Man Will Pass" and "The Keeper of The Grail" - one of my favourite themes from Williams.

Batman also has some excellent tracks that do divide me when I think they won't feature as part of my favourite score of 1989 but some of the other tracks on this CD are definitely not my favourites and I usually avoid listening to them - and I can't have that as part of a "favourite score".

Scores such as Haunted Summer (Christopher Young), Her Alibi (Georges Delerue), La Révolution Française (Delerue again), Lock Up (Bill Conti) and Lonesome Dove (Basil Poledouris) all have quality tracks definitely worthy of mention - as does Julian Nott's theme for Wallace and Gromit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good pick, Alan. It's pretty high up on my list too.

Honorable mentions to BATMAN (Elfman), BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY (Williams), INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE (Williams), BLACK RAIN (Zimmer), GLORY (Horner), HENRY V (Doyle), STEEL MAGNOLIAS (Delerue) and TANGO & CASH (Faltermeyer).

However, there's no doubt about the winner, one of my alltime favourite soundtracks:

THE ABYSS (Alan Silvestri).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not mentioned at all angry and easily my winner for this year is Basil Poledouris excellent score for FAREWELL TO THE KING

Still, The Last Crusade is a very fine choice Alan. Other scores I would mention are Morricone's Cinema Paradiso and my Morricone choice from this year Casualties of War which has one of the most beautiful themes. No mention for Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek V?

Best 'never ever released' score goes to Gary Chang's Dead Bang.

Worst score for me that year is Michael Kamen's License To Kill though I do love the theme song sung by Gladys Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn, forgot about CINEMA PARADISO. That's obviously an "honorable mention" too.

FAREWELL TO THE KING I've never heard!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't bother Thor, only the expanded version is available wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's a taster Thor...

FAREWELL TO THE KING
  3. Poledouris' Farewell To The King is a score that I can't see what all the fuss is about. And your choice Thor, The Abyss, is one that I have not heard (nor have I seen the film).

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is one that had some good tracks (it has grown on me since the expansion) but, for me, isn't a contender for 1989.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! tongue

As for THE ABYSS, I don't think you'd like most of it Alan, lots of synth noodling ( and not, IMO, in a good way ) but when it goes orchestral/choral for the finale it's incredibly powerful and one of my favourite tracks from the composer.

Sounds Predator'ish in parts too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! tongue

As for THE ABYSS, I don't think you'd like most of it Alan, lots of synth noodling ( and not, IMO, in a good way ) but when it goes orchestral/choral for the finale it's incredibly powerful and one of my favourite tracks from the composer.

Sounds Predator'ish in parts too.

I think there's incredible mood in the early part of the ABYSS album too, not only "noodling". Lots of watery effects to connote the deepness of the ocean etc. But to each their own. The militaristic, PREDATOR-like tracks aren't THAT exciting, though, I'll give you that.

The track from FAREWELL is pretty good indeed. Typical lush Poledouris melody.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE ABYSS

Much better than I remembered, Thor, particularly a lovely little theme that I'd forgotten, a sort of mystical sound, and also much more orchestral flavour that I didn't remember, the ambient parts seem to suit my taste much better now though there are still some dated synth effects I'm not enamoured with.

FAREWELL is still my choice but THE ABYSS has gone up in my estimation and won't be collecting dust for so long in the future.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Much better than I remembered, Thor, particularly a lovely little theme that I'd forgotten, a sort of mystical sound, and also much more orchestral flavour that I didn't remember, the ambient parts seem to suit my taste much better now though there are still some dated synth effects I'm not enamoured with.

FAREWELL is still my choice but THE ABYSS has gone up in my estimation.

I grew up with movies like The Abyss, and then the so called first part doesn't bother me. It's like Aliens, the atmospheric music enhances the movie and thereby doesn't bother me one bit. On the contrary, it creates the build up to the amazing finale of the film and score. For me, The Abyss would be nothing without it's first part. Both complement each other very well.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

FAREWELL is still my choice but THE ABYSS has gone up in my estimation and won't be collecting dust for so long in the future.

punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Glory is my favorite score from 1989. Others that I really like from that year that haven't been mentioned, unless I failed to notice, are Field of Dreams (if only for the amazing finale cue), and Holdridge's Old Gringo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Glory is my favorite score from 1989. Others that I really like from that year that haven't been mentioned, unless I failed to notice, are Field of Dreams (if only for the amazing finale cue), and Holdridge's Old Gringo.

You know that Charging Fort Wagner is based on Orff's Carmina Burana wink
  6. Depending on my mood, it can be based a bit too much for my tastes, usually I love the track though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. There's obviously a lot I still have to hear of 1989! Heard neither Glory nor Field of Dreams. shame
  8. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Glory is my favorite score from 1989. Others that I really like from that year that haven't been mentioned, unless I failed to notice, are Field of Dreams (if only for the amazing finale cue), and Holdridge's Old Gringo.

You know that Charging Fort Wagner is based on Orff's Carmina Burana wink

Totally. So too is one of Williams's tracks from his olympics music. I don't remember the name of it. Charging Fort Wagner doesn't sound too much like Carmina Burana melodically until the end, where it's nearly identical. I prefer Horner's rip off to Orff's original!
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's obviously a lot I still have to hear of 1989! Heard neither Glory nor Field of Dreams. shame

Oh, Alan! I LOVE Glory start to finish. I think with Field of Dreams you could do with just the track "The Place Where Dreams Come True" which is far and away the best thing about that album (a lot of the rest of it is kind of all over the place and not nearly the same great style). Glory's biggest weakness is the reliance on the main theme. You'll get it in most of the tracks, though it has very different presentations throughout the course of the album. It's a beautiful theme, though. The final four tracks are some of the finest material of Horner's career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    1989 goes down as one of the finest years of film music ever! Have a look through this article for an incredible list of film scores written in 1989.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011 edited
    My 1989 winner is without a doubt Morricone's I promessi sposi. It contains some of my all-time favourite tracks, and it has tons of different melodies. The second place goes to Doyle's immense debut score Henry V. This has got to be the most impressive entry into Hollywood ever!

Other worthy mentions are Lonesome dove, Farewell to the king, The burbs, Casualties of war, Glory and of course Indiana Jones and the last crusade, in no specific order; they are all amazing scores. It was really an extraordinary year come to think of it. Oh, and it's worthy to mention that Morricone's Fat Man and Little Boy has my all-time favourite theme.

Concerning Cinema Paradiso, I've always counted it as a 1988 score, so it remains the 1988 winner for me.

Peter smile