• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Got a reply from Zimmer on facebook on his alltime favourite score:

---
    "once upon a time....in the west", followed by "...in America". Mind you, "The Mission" is really brilliant as well.
    ---

Guess that settles it then.

Peter smile

Dude, you're friends with Zimmer on facebook?

I'm a fan of his "page" and everything, but I didn't know he was around there personally.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. He may have an "inner sanctum" page for select people?

I've been knocked back by a couple of composers on Facebook who want to keep their Facebook account or "friends and family only".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

---
    "once upon a time....in the west", followed by "...in America". Mind you, "The Mission" is really brilliant as well.
    ---

Peter smile

I'm a fan of his "page" and everything, but I didn't know he was around there personally.

So am I. That's how I got the interview and got him to read my article.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    Well, Mr. Stroinski, aren't we VIP!!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ravi had him long before me, I got added off Ravi's recommendation. I kid you not.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, we talked a bit about some inception issues back when it was released. But he's quiet generally.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Apparently not about Once Upon A Time In America.
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Tom I wish you would quote what your comments are referring to because sometimes it is very difficult to make the connection. Thanks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote

---
    ---

Peter smile

That should clarify it
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Try to send him a friend request. I don't know him personally and he accepted me, so it's not like I'm some VIP. I try not to bother him though as I'm sure he's busy, and he probably has several drooling fanboys as facebook friends, so this is the only time I've sent him a question.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Try to send him a friend request. I don't know him personally and he accepted me, so it's not like I'm some VIP. I try not to bother him though as I'm sure he's busy, and he probably has several drooling fanboys as facebook friends, so this is the only time I've sent him a question.

Peter smile

I don't really feel like hooking up with someone unless I've interacted personally with them. I became facebook friends with Angelo Badalamenti after having met and chatted to him a couple of times in Ghent. But that's about it. So I need to meet/talk to Zimmer first. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    That's understandable. I'm the same way, though Zimmer is an exception.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited
    1985 - Rambo - First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith

A clear winner this year in my book and it's Goldsmith powerhouse of a score following up on the heels of First Blood. I just loved this score when it first came out. I first heard it in a record store in Glasgow when it was being played on the shop's system and I had to go up and ask what it was. And bought the LP there and then.

It's the final rollercoaster ride of the last 6 or 7 tracks that are the joy for me in this score. Great Jerry Goldsmith action scoring. What more can be said in it's defence? Goodness, even the synth additions are great! I'm listening to "Escape From Torture" as I write this and the interchange between the strings and brass highlight what I enjoy most about this score.

I know for a fact that there are several titles from this year that will be mentioned by others that won't feature here and for these I just don't like as much as others. But other scores that I'd highlight for mention include Elmer Bernstein's score for The Journey of Natty Gann (I much prefer this to Horner's version) - I much prefer Bernstein's old-school, in-your-face western-isms. Another Bernstein title that I enjoy (but which is completely different from Natty Gann is his lovely Marie Ward - score I hear very little mention of. The recent Intrada release of Basil Poledouris' Flesh+Blood has got me re-assessing and appreciating much more this recently, and a little known score from Alan Howarth, The Lost Empire, is a great synth score that is reminiscent of all those great pulsing tracks you hear from John Carpenter's better known scores. Another synth score that I've only recently come across but has some great tracks is Goblin/Claudio Simonetti's Phenomena: the title track and "Jennifer" are great pieces and luckily they are repeated several times on the CD to fill out the playing time with some great variations on themes.

Some great themes worth mentioning (and live longer on my player than most of the rest of the scores) include Henry Mancini's title theme (and finale) from Lifeforce and I always have a wry smile when I listen to Richard Band's homage theme to Re-Animator.

As far as TV goes this year there's only one score worth mentioning: Bill Conti's North and South. Such an uplifting and glorious theme that brightens any day - and can move me to tears on others. And finally, one for the UK-based people of a certain age this one) a mention for the tracked theme "stolen" from a track by the band Mountain that started (and finished) the topical factual programme Weekend World.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    I won't complain about your choice of Rambo II, it's a darn fine score.

My choice ( easily ) is Henry Mancini's LIFEFORCE which I love far beyond that pulsating driving brilliant theme, it's a kind of organic, impressionistic style I love a lot.

Goldsmith's score would be second followed by John Barry's sublime score for OUT OF AFRICA, a worthy Oscar winner IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    RAMBO II ain't bad, but it's not as good as the first score, and it really is far from what I would put on such a list these days (with my aversion towards bustling action music and everything). So we're not totally in synch there, Alan.

Honorable mentions include BACK TO THE FUTURE (Silvestri), AGNES OF GOD (Delerue), FLESH+BLOOD (Poledouris), LADYHAWKE (Powell), LEGEND (Goldsmith) and PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE (Elfman).

I would also echo your NORTH & SOUTH pick, as I have a very strong nostalgic relationship to the series. Theme, too, which must be the most unabashedly romantic this side of "Tara's theme".

However, there's really no competition for my 1985 selection:

ROCKY IV (Vince di Cola).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interesting choices. My 1985 would without doubt be Young Sherlock Holmes (Broughton). Brilliant music from beginning to end, and Waxing Elizabeth has got to be the coolest O fortuna homage evah. Honorable mentions go to the sweeping Out of Africa (Barry), the legendary Back to the future (Silvestri), the fantastic Legend (Goldsmith) and the silly, but catchy Les mondes engloutis (Cosma).

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Interesting choices. My 1985 would without doubt be Young Sherlock Holmes (Broughton). Brilliant music from beginning to end, and Waxing Elizabeth has got to be the coolest O fortuna homage evah. Honorable mentions go to the sweeping Out of Africa (Barry), the legendary Back to the future (Silvestri), the fantastic Legend (Goldsmith) and the silly, but catchy Les mondes engloutis (Cosma).

Peter punk

Oh man, LES MONDES ENGLOUTIS....I forgot all about that. That's one of my cherished TV memories too, as it was shown on kiddie shows in the morning here in Norway. I have the soundtrack CD, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Les Mondes Engloutis must be one of the few titles that does not feature in either of the Cosma boxes!

Thanks for the responses guys. beer

And as always, there's a few scores there that I haven't heard yet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor once raved about Les mondes engloutis on FSM so I decided to try it and I fell in love with it. I've never seen the cartoon before, just love the music.

But it's not for everyone, Alan. Very cheesy and dated, but so catchy too. Here's the main title song. There are also instrumental versions on the album that are stunning.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    can't argue though my personal favorite is Marie Ward from E.B.
  5. Marie Ward is a lovely score from Bernstein - though his use of the ondes martenot in the score does border on the grating. It's a sound I like to hear only sparingly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I do with Rambo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I won't complain about your choice of Rambo II, it's a darn fine score.

My choice ( easily ) is Henry Mancini's LIFEFORCE which I love far beyond that pulsating driving brilliant theme, it's a kind of organic, impressionistic style I love a lot.

Goldsmith's score would be second followed by John Barry's sublime score for OUT OF AFRICA, a worthy Oscar winner IMO.

Damn! I didn't look at 1985 properly rolleyes , this is my revised list in order of favourites...

AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

A VIEW TO A KILL - John Barry

LIFEFORCE - Henry Mancini

LEGEND - Jerry Goldsmith

RAMBO : FIRST BLOOD part II - Jerry Goldsmith

OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry

What a damned good year this was!? shocked Scores not mentioned on my above list such as Poledouris's FLESH & BLOOD, Broughton's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES, Silvestri's BACK TO THE FUTURE and even an early Elfman effort that I enjoy immensely PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, what a BRILLIANT year, will the 00's ever see the likes of this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    As I do with Rambo

So who would win in a fight between RAMBO and MARIE WARD?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Harry Hill would suggest that 'there's only one way to find out.....FIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHT!'
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BACK TO THE FUTURE FTW! One of the finest film scores ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    BACK TO THE FUTURE FTW! One of the finest film scores ever written!

-Erik-

opinions, opinions and more opinions. Shows what a great year 85 was, despite BTTF being a great score it doesn't break my top 5.
  6. Great year? I'm not so sure that's the reason. Maybe it's the time that a lot of us were greatly influenced by what we were hearing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great year? I'm not so sure that's the reason. Maybe it's the time that a lot of us were greatly influenced by what we were hearing?

I think that's it. Although in my case, I didn't really pay attention untill the early 90's. I was 8 years old in 1985.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great year? I'm not so sure that's the reason. Maybe it's the time that a lot of us were greatly influenced by what we were hearing?

I disagree, I was already well into film music, and I well remember scores truly hitting their stride during this decade, I think the 90's were exceptionally good too, the 00's less so.