• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010 edited
    NP:Iron Man (Djawadi)

One of my lastest Guilty pleasures.

If I want a rock-heavy influenced score, this is one of my better choises.

The main theme is addictive (Hans?), and there is a lot of orchestra (Even if its recorded too low).

In the movie it shines more than Debney score ( i will not say nothing more until i hear IM2 album) and it's faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more enjoyable and powerful (Hans?) than Clash of the Titans.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    NP: Independence Day Complete - David Arnold

Bliss. Although some of the combined tracks (Cropduster, David Gets And Idea) are a little odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Guilty

Right.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Guilty

Right.

biggrin

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Alice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day (Complete) - David Arnold

fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks

One of the greatest scores ever composed. Hearing the film version of "The Day We Fight Back" brought tears to my eyes! I love this stuff! Thank you La La Land!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Mummy 3 Additional - John Debney

It's funny how a little thing like clicks/pops at the ends of the tracks can completely ruin the listening experience for me. I got rid of them and now I am enjoying the score much more than before. Some really fun action music!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Why is a lot of the action music here just as rousing and exciting as most of Avatar's (few small parts of the latter excluded for actually being really good) when Debney spent a few weeks and Horner spent a whole year!? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Because you touch yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    *attempts to think of a good reply*

*fails*
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf ~ Alan Silvestri

Oh yeah!!!! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MATRIX - Don Davis

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. "Star Trek" (GNP, Volume 2)

"The Doomsday Machine" (Sol Kaplan)
    "Amok Time" (Gerald Fried)

Since I am interviewing Fried, I decided to give it a spin in his honor. Some terrific scoring here, and interesting orchestration ideas. Maybe just older ideas that have been lost over the passed three or four decades, but still interesting.

I wonder how other TV, or film efforts by Kaplan sound -- this is the only thing I've ever heard of him (sans other Trek scores).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Great Expectations (doyle)

"kissing in the rain" kiss kiss kiss punk

PS: Can Anyone recomend me a really good "noir" score? I always find Saxo an annoying instrument, but I want to try. Something like LA Confidential or Body Heat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    The Black Dahlia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was going to say that too; excellent noir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I hate that style but I love what little of Isham I have heard. I wonder how I would get along with that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the finest written this century, so I'd be surprised if you don't get along with it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Great Expectations (doyle)

"kissing in the rain" kiss kiss kiss punk

PS: Can Anyone recomend me a really good "noir" score? I always find Saxo an annoying instrument, but I want to try. Something like LA Confidential or Body Heat.

Dave Grusin's Mulholland Drive is superb....better than Isham's Black Dahlia, IMHO, of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Coincidentally I've been playing Grusin's The Goonies again. What an unbelievably enjoyable score that gets better as it goes along. Can't remember the last 79 minute CD I played right through without falling asleep!

Now onto Bruce Broughton's Last Rites.
    Suitably dark with an excellent main theme. Overall very solid stuff even if the orchestral elemenst sound slightly undersized and a couple of source cues Broughton wrote are a bit outdated. Classy effort as always.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Dave Grusin's Mulholland Drive is superb....better than Isham's Black Dahlia, IMHO, of course.

You mean Mulholland Falls? I've never heard it, but I'll give it a listen. (Although sceptical about it being 'better'... Dahlia is such a fine score, so it would have to be really really good!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

You mean Mulholland Falls? I've never heard it, but I'll give it a listen. (Although sceptical about it being 'better'... Dahlia is such a fine score, so it would have to be really really good!)

That's just me being drunk last night ( mullholland Drive rolleyes ), and more accurately, I should have said I enjoy it more than Black Dahlia.

If you like Jerry Goldsmith's score for Chinatown you'll get an idea of the sound Grusin employs in Mullholland Falls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mmm, now I'm even more intrigued. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Sims 3: World Adventures - Steve Jablonsky.

Sometimes it sounds like Delerue. Sometimes it sounds like Tan Dun. And the rest of the time it sounds like mickey-mousing boredom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I just remember the mickey mousing during my half listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The five scattered interesting tracks aren't until the last 12 or so so you probably didn't even hear them....
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Danna brothers

There are a few tracks I like, but overall this score is not my cup of tea. It's too slow and meandering. Almost like the drama-tragic version of mickey-mousing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Heidi - John Williams
    The sound quality is quite excellent for a late 60s score. The clarity of the orchestra is at about the same level as How To Train Your Dragon tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Merlin ~ Rob Lane

Marvelous!!! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's good, is it not?
    Just took another listen to it myself a few days back as happenstance would have it, as I purchased the second album as well. That one felt a bit flat to me though, and I wondered if I had misremembered (or rose-coloured) the first album?

But no. It remains a very fresh, enjoyable piece of work (Ewoks notwithstanding wink ) and I still like it a lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn