• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I'm usually not really fussy about the recording/mixing stuff, but I have to agree with Erik and others to some extent here that the mixing, while not downright awful, sounds pretty mediocre to me. At least compared to his Ice Age and other animation scores. I've gotten used to it though and apart from this one negative point, I think this is one really terrific album and excellent score with terrific themes, great thematic development and powerful orchestrations. The final battle tracks are absolutely fantastic! One of Powell's finest scores in my book.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Staggeringly good overall for such an early effort, though it shouldn't be any surprise. There's a slight lull through the middle section but the early and closing 15-20 minutes are just brilliant, with more invention, skill and energy than you hear in 99% of scores today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHAN SODERQVIST - tannod

Being more and more inspired by and drawn to this dark score with each and every listen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    David OC wrote
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Staggeringly good overall for such an early effort, though it shouldn't be any surprise. There's a slight lull through the middle section but the early and closing 15-20 minutes are just brilliant, with more invention, skill and energy than you hear in 99% of scores today.

I so agree: it's one of the most enjoyable Goldsmith releases to me in many years!
    An excellent effort!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Pacific - various Zimmer people
    "Landing Peleliu" punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Blake Neely was NEVER quite a Zimmer person.

And Landing Peleliu IS amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Never quite a Zimmer person? In what sense do you mean that? As far as I know, he's been working at MV/RC for ages.
  2. Not really ages. He really did stuff on Samurai (as co-orchestrator and additional arranger/writer) and King Arthur for the big Z, of course also did the series with Zanelli.

Neely's background is working for Michael Kamen and orchestrating some of his final scores, including Band of Brothers, which might have been the reason why they got him for Pacific along with the Zimmer people. I've never really seen Neely as an RC person. He even took the projects Kamen didn't finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmm. Well, that would explain why his Everwood compositions actually have intelligent and interesting uses of orchestra. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Birthday from Freedom: Piano Stories - Joe Hisaishi

I was busy (but having fun with birds) even on my birthday, so I'm listening to this two days later dizzy

This is a perfect album for bedtime!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Pacific - various Zimmer people
    "Landing Peleliu" punk

Last sunday episode ('Iwo Jima') featured amazing cues, most of them with Basilone's theme ('Fallen Friend' -'We've gone Respectable' - 'Iwo Jima'). Great episode and great music by Blake Neely.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Iwo Jima is Hans himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes you're right, I remember Zanelli said in an interview thet episode 8 was totally Neely's work except for a key moment that was Zimmer's. I assume that key moment is the track named 'Iwo Jima'.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN POWELL - united 93

Captivating and its climax wholly sublime.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    King Arthur ~ Hans Zimmer

No words needed! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. fireworks RECEIVED THE ALBUM TODAY AND ENJOYING THE ABSOLUTE HELL OUT OF fireworks

INDEPENDENCE DAY COMPLETE - David Arnold

punk punk punk punk punk

The action music is still legendary... the themes remain among Arnold's best... the newly available cues are a godsend... A perfect score IMO and this new album wipes the floor with that bootleg that I can now throw away! My god I can't believe it's finally here. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

On an endless loop! PHENOMENAL FILM MUSIC!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me, I just got my extended Robocop in.
    love Poledouris.love

Y'all can keep y'all's Independence Days for now.
    F*ck me, this is excellent.
    punk punk punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    love Poledouris.love

Y'all can keep y'all's Independence Days for now.
    F*ck me, this is excellent.
    punk punk punk

Such a great score.

I didn't get this release of it, is it really that much better than the Varese expanded?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robocop? Overrated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Robocop? Overrated.

Steven. You Are. A Bad Apple
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Robocop? Overrated.

shocked

Jesus.

(Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's overrated as well, but there ya go...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No disagreements here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Such a great score.

I didn't get this release of it, is it really that much better than the Varese expanded?

It's got 15 more minutes, Timmer. 15 more minutes!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    okey dokey.

15 more....

15 MORE MINUTES!!!? shocked

Okay, I'z sold cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In all honesty, I've never really enjoyed much beyond the brilliant theme. Give me 'Rock Shop' and I'm a happy chappy. The rest? S'alright. *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Steven wrote
    In all honesty, I've never really enjoyed much beyond the brilliant theme. Give me 'Rock Shop' and I'm a happy chappy. The rest? S'alright. *shrug*

Bitches leave...Steven is mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    <Backs out of the room...verrrry carefully, verrrry slowly...>