• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    "I wish I could tell you that Steven fought the good fight, and Timmer let him be. I wish I could tell you that - but score fandom is no fairy-tale world." [/Morgan Freeman]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Let there be blood" [/Daniel Day-Lewis]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "Beep." [/Captain Pike]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Kaboom! There was supposed to be a kaboom! What happened to the kaboom?" [/Marvin the Martian]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: 'Death and Transfiguration' from HANCOCK (Powell)

I don't really enjoy the rest of the score as much as this, but I do enjoy this.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Martijn wrote
    "Kaboom! There was supposed to be a kaboom! What happened to the kaboom?" [/Marvin the Martian]

"Numfar, do the dance of the stupid replies!"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Managed to listen to a couple of scores while cooking...

Paulo Buonvino - Giovane Casanova
    This dude writes enjoyable scores but doesn't care about anachronism. Orchestra + synths for Casanova!

Varese 2cd Delerue compilation
    I could listen to this forever. A top album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    King Kong - James Newton Howard

A typical case to prove that you cannot judge the album by the sound clips. For quite long I have been hesitating about whether to buy this score or not. I didn't like the sound clips at all but it seemed that many people had considered this album very good. So when I finally found a copy for a very low price I bought it and I didn't regret it at all. Great, majestic themes with exciting action and emotion. A very good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Martijn wrote

"Numfar, do the dance of the stupid replies!"

"Dance you fool, dance!"

NP: Robocop (the new Intrada release) - Basil Poledouris

What a joy overall! The sound is crystal clear, and editing out the three under-30-seconds tracks (I hate those!) makes for a fine listening experience. There are a few remastering decisions that I have some trouble with (the "drying" down of the reverb percussion in Murphy's Dream, for example), but overall I'm hearing details I have never heard in the old Varese release: the metallic sounds are much clearer and more dramatic, and I noticed a gong in Van Chase!

What a fantastic release!
  3. Independence Day - David Arnold

The bonus tracks. punk

A rare case where the tacked-on bonus tracks warrant their place on the CD, because they're just as enjoyable as the score itself. Albeit much less music.

In the end I have to say, it's been a tremendous while I've been able to enjoy a film music release, and a complete one at that. Independence Day is a fabulous work for David Arnold, one he can definitely be proud of and I'm incredibly happy it has been released in this state, like it appeared in the film, which I still love to this day btw. Because the fun is ever so present in ID4. Yes the fun! Because fun rocks !!!!!

You did good, La-La Land, you did good !!!! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited
    Recently played: MONSIGNOR - John Williams

I sometimes wonder why exactly I'm eagerly awaiting a new released John Williams score - there's so much out there already that I haven't even heard yet! Recently I discovered his strong score for Nixon, and now I've heard this small but wonderful score for Monsignor which I've overlooked on its release completely.

It's got a small variety of themes, presented in a score unusually short for Williams, but they nonetheless stick in the head after hearing it. At once classic Williams, and a different, religious sound with a sometimes almost Godfather-esque feel in its horn solo's. Not among his best by a stretch, but a good enjoyable gem nonetheless that I'm glad to have in my collection.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Recently played: MONSIGNOR - John Williams

I sometimes wonder why exactly I'm eagerly awaiting a new released John Williams score - there's so much out there already that I haven't even heard yet! Recently I discovered his strong score for Nixon, and now I've heard this small but wonderful score for Monsignor which I've overlooked on its release completely.

It's got a small variety of themes, presented in a score unusually short for Williams, but they nonetheless stick in the head after hearing it. At once classic Williams, and a different, religious sound with a sometimes almost Godfather-esque feel in its horn solo's. Not among his best by a stretch, but a good enjoyable gem nonetheless that I'm glad to have in my collection.

Not quite sure what you mean by a different religious sound but yes, it is a superb score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The Gloria cue maybe ? Not a fan of Monsignor but it has its moments, Gloria being the only very odd cue in there (as in not typically Williams sounding).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Particularly Gloria, indeed. Of course Williams has had his fair share of religious moments before, but the composition for organ and choir was almost a complete departing of his usual style. I had to get used to it, but it was a welcome interlude.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Particularly Gloria, indeed. Of course Williams has had his fair share of religious moments before, but the composition for organ and choir was almost a complete departing of his usual style. I had to get used to it, but it was a welcome interlude.

For sure, but Williams religious sound is heard in the cue Audience With The Holy Father, a track that very much channels the influence of Vaughan Williams.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Cuore di mamma - Ennio Morricone

A relatively early effort by the Maestro. Some lyrical, some funny and some dissonant tracks. I have the new edition with the 9 additional tracks but I honestly believe that the old but shorter edition would have been enough. It contained all the really necessary tracks, the new ones are mostly just the expanded versions of the tracks on the previous edition.
  5. The Pagemaster - James Horner

A joy to return to, every time. Great themes and standout moments of rousing creativity and unrivalled inspiration. Such an underrated little gem. This is the great Horner that I love, full of melody and uncomplicated good-natured fun. What a great couple of years '94 and '95 turned out to be, and what a diverse set of scores he ended up writing. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Death and Transfiguration' from HANCOCK (Powell)

I don't really enjoy the rest of the score as much as this, but I do enjoy this.

An Awesome track. The love theme from Hanckok wich fits brilliantly in the movie.

One of the few tracks I play from this score. it has really sublime tracks.

NP:Mulloland falls (Grusin)

thanks everyone for the recomendation
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Resident Evil 5 - Kota Suzuki / Wataru Hokoyama

A high octane score! A wonderful blend of Silvestri Predator rhythms, Horner Aliens scares and Williams action orchestrations. Love it!

Also on the docket...

Afrika (Wataru Hokoyama)
    Selections from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)
    The Legend of Zorro (James Horner)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Afrika - Wataru Hokoyama

I remember this being really, really good... fantastic actually but it's been a while since I've listened to it (the theme pops up quiet a bit when my iPod is on shuffle) and now that I'm almost done with this listen I think I've loaded half of the score into MY FAVORITES playlist. biggrin The score contains memorable and brilliantly written themes, delicious orchestrations, breakneck speed action music perfectly performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony captured brilliant by Shawn Murphy - he's getting much better with age. I can't see why any fan of traditional symphonic film music wouldn't enjoy this album!

I'm finding that the grand symphonic style of music that I initially fell in love with as a kid is being much more accepted with video game producers these days than film producers. While it would be nothing but incredible to hear the Hannigan's, Soule's, Tilton's, and Hokoyama's of the world get their big break in film I'm finding they are having much more creative freedom in the video game world and are delivery some of the best symphonic music produced in the past 10-15 years because of it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Afrika is brilliant. It's got a proper THEME. An actual 100% bona fide THEME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ...and I love how he plays around with it! Now a days a theme or motif is written and is performed almost identically (same orchestrations, same volume) every time it pops up. sleep In Afrika, Hokoyama slows it down, speeds it up, chops it up; a fragment here and fragment there and then will blow you a way with a grand complete statement of the theme at the end of the track that gives you this sense of satisfaction because he has been teasing you with it for 2 minutes. Only the truly skilled composers can do this and do it well. While Hokoyama's style isn't his own he most definitely has the chops to write memorable and proper themes that you hum minutes, hours, days after finishing the score.

More of this please!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Selections from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Not one of Williams' (or Spielberg's or Lucas') finest hours but Williams did write some damn good themes and a few excellent cues. I'm only playing...

Call of the Crystal Skull
    The Adventures of Mutt
    Irina's Theme
    A Whirl Through Academe
    Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed
    The Departure
    End Credits (my own edit which takes out Marion's Theme, expands Mutt's theme, and adds in the latter half of The Jungle Chase)

The rest of the score I think is rubbish. Actually, Mutt's theme is all wrong too but what a great stand alone piece of music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Matrix Reloaded Don Davis & Juno Reactor & Rob Dougan

An already fine album is improved by including Chateau Swashbuckling and Truck Vs. Truck from the bootleg. My favourite Matrix album (where Revolutions is perhaps my favourite Matrx score... plus the first one is awesome for being the first one... I just love everything Davis wrote for all of the films...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I remember getting the Reloaded album back in 2003 and playing it on an endless loop. Those two monster action cues are a perfect blend of techno and orchestra. Davis and Juno Reactor worked perfectly together to make sure each element complemented the other. Nothing is out of place or intrusive in that score. And that last three and half minutes of the Reloaded suite ("Neo Miraculous" on the boot) is one of Davis greatest feats! An emotional roller-coaster! Thrilling action material that concludes with a brilliant epic rendition of the Neo/Trinity love theme! Awesome, AWESOME music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And Chateau Swashbuckling is of course one the finest action cues ever written! (IMHO.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know... as much as I love that piece I do like what was eventually used in the film. I think it's more about keeping the techno element present during the fight scenes which worked for me but Davis did do an impeccable job in hitting all the sync points in the original cue!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love both pieces, that's why I keep Dougan's track on the album. But for pure technical skill, Chateau Swashbuckling floors me. The way it hits so many sync points so seamlessly and without coming off mickey mouse in the slightest is astounding. This phrase gets used a lot, but modern scoring at its very best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I love both pieces, that's why I keep Dougan's track on the album. But for pure technical skill, Chateau Swashbuckling floors me. The way it hits so many sync points so seamlessly and without coming off mickey mouse in the slightest is astounding. This phrase gets used a lot, but modern scoring at its very best.

Couldn't agree more but I do like both tracks equally, exciting pulse pounding scoring doesn't get better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tip On A Dead Jockey is nearly done
    listen to more classical music!