• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    NP: The Legend of Zorro - James Horner

The Mask of Zorro's greatest hits and more. All of your favorite themes are back including the underused "The Ride" motif which gets a proper work out in this sequel score. And say what you will about the "The Train" (still a kick ass cue) but "The Cortez Ranch" is equal to the task. It's so gobsmackingly good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Some really good comments about some really good scores!

And I agree with that Martijn says about RoboCop. It's amazing to hear the improved sound on a release from as recent as the mid-80s!

NP: Era: Intersection of Time - Michel Cusson

Music from the "Shanghai Acrobatic Multimedia Show" (whatever that is) from 2006. After a sort track reminds me somewhat of the more upbeat tracks from David Byrne's score for Young Adam this one settles into a orientially-orchestrated series of tracks that features some nice vocals. There's even some more pop-influenced tracks (that remind me of the feel of A.R. Rahman - though I've not heard much of his output).

The sort of title that makes me happy that downloads are available - I'm unlikely to have come across this otherwise.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Tip On A Dead Jockey is nearly done

What the hell is a Tip On A Dead Jockey?
  2. Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

A 1957 film featuring a score from Miklos Rozsa - which at the moment is only a release on the Tickertape label, or as part of FSM's Rozsa boxed set.

BSX Records also featured some music from this film in a Gregg Nestor guitar-laden CD.

Tom, is it a review of the score from the FSM box? Or is someone like Kritzerland releasing this single score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

Yes, I'm playing it again... but it's so Goddamn good how can you not return to this one regularly. Anyway, I'm only spinning "The President's Speech" onward.... I have to go pick up my kids soon... but I'll be playing the bonus tracks in the car!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

Jeez. He knows about disecting quarks and calculating the age of the Universe, but he fails at Rozsa.
    Have you no sense of perspective, young master Steven?
    :shakes wisened head sadly:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    Face it Martijn, he's a thick twat and it's about time he woke up and smelt the Rozsa's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    it's about time he woke up and smelt the Rozsa's.

applause

Thanks for the last laugh of the day! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    King Kong - James Newton Howard

A typical case to prove that you cannot judge the album by the sound clips. For quite long I have been hesitating about whether to buy this score or not. I didn't like the sound clips at all but it seemed that many people had considered this album very good. So when I finally found a copy for a very low price I bought it and I didn't regret it at all. Great, majestic themes with exciting action and emotion. A very good one.

The finale, the beauty killed the beast variations, contains some of the most powerful and emotional material he ever composed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Superman: The Movie - none other than John Williams

ABSOLUTE 24 CARAT GOLD !!!

I decided to listen and sing along to this great score in its entirety. cheesy

The FSM box is one of the best things ever released. I love nearly all of it, with this the absolute king.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Mosé - Marco Frisina

Thanks to a special member of this forum ( beer BP!) I can listen to the original CD and not only the mp3 version of this great score. Probably my favourite from the La Bibbia series by Frisina.
    Memorable themes with orchestra and chorus. It gives me the goosebumps every time I listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Mosé - Marco Frisina

Thanks to a special member of this forum ( beer BP!) I can listen to the original CD and not only the mp3 version of this great score. Probably my favourite from the La Bibbia series by Frisina.
    Memorable themes with orchestra and chorus. It gives me the goosebumps every time I listen to it.

Want.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    keky wrote
    Mosé - Marco Frisina

shocked
    You did it!
    fireworks

How did you finally manage it, if I may ask?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    It was realized by the helpfulness and cooperation of BhelPuri. Many thanks to him!
  4. Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

A very cool score for the so-so film. Its presentation on compact disc is growing on me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

I have revisited this score. Still like it very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Terminal Velocity - Joel McNeely

One bad ass action score featuring one of the all time great action cues "Cadillac Freefall." A nearly 6 minute adrenalin pumping piece for one of cinema's most incredible action sequences! Excellent score, solid themes... McNeely is rarely a disappointment!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    keky wrote
    Mosé - Marco Frisina

Probably my favourite from the La Bibbia series by Frisina.

Cool! punk I don't remember whether I like Giacobbe or Mose better. Great scores! I'm glad you were able to get it along with the other scores for a steal!

BTW still trying to get my Giuseppe from Switzerland dizzy

I skimmed thru a Morricone/Nicolai cd last night-

Ennio Morricone & Bruno Nicolai - OK Connery: Operation Kid Brother

Great fun with the title song/theme. The rest is ok. If Ennio ever scored for a goofy James Bond film, then this is how it would sound. Super brassy title song with a female singing with full gusto and gasping at odd moments.

Heeee thrills me
    Heeee kills me
    Heeee gives me the feeling maybe it's love

Okay Connery! Okay Connery....
    Is this to be (ah ah aaah)
    The one for me (ah aaah aaah)
    The one for me (ah aaah aaah)

Of course, the movie itself is a cheap Italian Bond rip-off. They had Sean Connery's little known brother (Neil Connery) play the secret agent.

From IMDB
    The evil crime syndicate Thanatos is bent on taking over the world, using a magnetic wave generator that will cause all metal-based machinery to grind to a halt. However, the well-known British secret agent normally assigned to such tasks isn't available, so they engage his civilian brother, Neil, to help. Neil, played by Neil Connery, is a world-class plastic surgeon, hypnotist, and lip-reader, which turn out to be precisely the skills required for thwarting Thanatos.

biggrin
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Terminal Velocity - Joel McNeely

One bad ass action score featuring one of the all time great action cues "Cadillac Freefall." A nearly 6 minute adrenalin pumping piece for one of cinema's most incredible action sequences! Excellent score, solid themes... McNeely is rarely a disappointment!

-Erik-

You say that and I admit I only have two scores with his name on it. shame

There was a time I thought of Joel as the successor to John... One word: SOTE ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Lost - Season 5

Not as good as season 4 but....Jacob's theme! lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But not in full! *waves fist*
  6. First Knight expanded - Jerry Goldsmith

Been a few years since hearing the expanded. Man what an incredible amount of stunning music left off the official album !! It boggles the mind. There's a whole theme for Lancelot and his heroics which is fantastic and I don't get that even one cue featuring it didn't find its way onto the album. If this doesn't get the real complete treatment soon, I'll eat my pointy hat. lick

This is one of my all-time favourite of Jerry, no doubt. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    But not in full! *waves fist*

Really? 'The Tangled Web' is not the full theme?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well, technically it is, but it's missing the best part of the cue. Here's what you're missing.

(Or if you want to get even geekier, the first scene of The Incident contains two cues, the first of which is on the soundtrack and the second which I've cut down and edited into the above).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Well, technically it is, but it's missing the best part of the cue. Here's what you're missing.

(Or if you want to get even geekier, the first scene of The Incident contains two cues, the first of which is on the soundtrack and the second which I've cut down and edited into the above).

Ok, I want the whole cue cry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Now you see why I'm baffled and sad. They messed up probably the most important cue of the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010 edited
    JP: BATMAN FOREVER - Elliot Goldenthal
    A wild and crazy spectacle of a score, that's just as inventive as it is loud. Elfman's Gothic stylings get replaced by noirish jazz undertones (Chase Noir) - be it in the most in-your-face expressionistic way. Nygma Variations might be among the most experimental pieces Goldenthal has ever written, Spank Me Overture is just a lot of fun while Batterdammerung is massive. It's all tied together by a great main theme and dark orchestral mayhem that might not be for everyone - but, then again, what Goldenthal score is? Roll on an official release of - the less chaotic - BATMAN & ROBIN!
  7. NP: Hancock (Powell)

Actually, I've really been enjoying this the last few days. One of his best. Mustn't have been in the mood the first time around.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    ^ Fantastic score!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    Supernova - David Williams

First score of his I've heard and I'm very, very impressed! This is a real surprise packet actually - a wonderfully detailed, complex orchestral score with some stunning action music as well as great variety and subtlety. I knew nothing about Williams really but would never have guessed he was classically trained - until now! - and under Corigliano! - considering the type of film he's generally scored over the years.

It's just as well this is a fantastic score because the rejected score by Burkhard Dallwitz on the 2nd CD seems pretty godawful from what I've heard so far. Hard to believe this was written for the same film as the Williams score considering its style and tone. Just goes to show how vastly different two directors' ideas about music for the same film can be.