• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Because sometimes you need to hear one of your favourite scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Because sometimes you need to hear one of your favourite scores.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HOWARD SHORE - the cell, complete

Thanks to Bob for reminding me this magnificently epic, brutal score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    HOWARD SHORE - the cell, complete

Thanks to Bob for reminding me this magnificently epic, brutal score.

I'm listening to it again as well (be it just a suite) - never fails to impress!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stargate: The Ark Of Truth Joel Goldsmith

JOEL. NEEDS. MORE. GIGS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    Quite an action-packed random set of titles so far this evening (selected tracks only):

Wolfhound - Aleksei Rybnikov
    X-Men - Michael Kamen
    Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz
    Le Miroir de L’Eau - Stéphane Moucha
    El Arte de Morir - Bingen Mendizábal
    Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard
    Return of The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein
    The 6th Day - Trevor Rabin
    Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - Chris Tilton
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    JP: THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry
    Certainly a stylistic musical companion piece to Dances With Wolves, but when treated with such beauty, grace and mastery, it would never occur to complain about any lack of uniqueness. It does beg for an inevitable comparison, which comes in favor of Dances - simply because that score has the strongest themes. But Scarlet has the Agnus Dei, basically Barber's Adagio for Strings but without any strings attached: a blissfully ethereal piece that perfectly works with the rest of the score. Letting the piece be performed by a sole choir is an interesting choice, especially since the rest of the score is so rich in its string section. One might wonder if the original Adagio would've worked more seamlessly within the rest, yet it's exactly that tonal shift that enriches the work as a whole. Lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (selected tracks only):

How dare you skip a single moment of this magnificent masterpiece? angry

just kidding. only like 3 tracks even I am interested in.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Now there's a score I haven't listened to in a while. Fucking good score as well.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

A pure classic, with 'Retreat' being one of those extraordinary action cues that Goldsmith kept supplying for film after film. It's 7 and a half minutes of pure brilliance, ending with a note-perfect finale after a sensational build-up into the last minute or so.
  1. Scribe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (selected tracks only):

How dare you skip a single moment of this magnificent masterpiece? angry

just kidding. only like 3 tracks even I am interested in.

Me bad! wink

I only usually listen to "In The Beginning..." myself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. LSH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Now there's a score I haven't listened to in a while. Fucking good score as well.

This is one of those scores where I only have the tracks "saved" from YouTube uploads - but, I find that many of them are an adequate substitute for my age-ravaged hearing.

BTW, it is a great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Just Played: Iron Man 2 - John Debney

The orchestral material here is definitely superior to the first score and it's also more prominently mixed, with lots of brass, strings and good use of choir in some places. But... I still don't think it's very superior to Djawadi's score; like the latter, it sounds more like a rock-flavoured orchestral score and not like an orchestra-flavoured rock score. The electric guitar work also has loads of synths thrown in and it doesn't really sound better than that in RDj's score either. The score (at least as heard on the OST) actually has quite less action material than expected and a lot of the cues are mellower orchestral material which sound quite good. The action tracks which I found engaging are - Monaco, Iron Man Battles the Drones, Ivan Demise/The Kiss. I didn't find any particularly strong themes either, though I did like the I Am Iron Man track. I still prefer Driving With The Top Down from IM1 though. Overall, it's better than IM1 on quite some counts, but not by a really big margin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    See guys, it was never really Djawadi's fault at all wink smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

A pure classic, with 'Retreat' being one of those extraordinary action cues that Goldsmith kept supplying for film after film. It's 7 and a half minutes of pure brilliance, ending with a note-perfect finale after a sensational build-up into the last minute or so.

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Still doesn't change the fact that he writes terrible music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

The orchestral material here is definitely superior to the first score and it's also more prominently mixed, with lots of brass, strings and good use of choir in some places. But... I still don't think it's very superior to Djawadi's score; like the latter, it sounds more like a rock-flavoured orchestral score and not like an orchestra-flavoured rock score. The electric guitar work also has loads of synths thrown in and it doesn't really sound better than that in RDj's score either. The score (at least as heard on the OST) actually has quite less action material than expected and a lot of the cues are mellower orchestral material which sound quite good. The action tracks which I found engaging are - Monaco, Iron Man Battles the Drones, Ivan Demise/The Kiss. I didn't find any particularly strong themes either, though I did like the I Am Iron Man track. I still prefer Driving With The Top Down from IM1 though. Overall, it's better than IM1 on quite some counts, but not by a really big margin.

It's orchestra playing random stuff (apart the opening track and 2-3 other pieces which are a bit more focused) with layers of distorted electric guitar riffs on loop on top. That's nor rock, nor orchestral rock. It's a confused pseudo-rock amalgam that the industry has forced during the last couple of years, in attempts to make more money by echoing more to the younger generations, i suspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

Well, that's not an easy and fast assumption to make. If we could have a Joel Goldsmith score for Iron Man 2, or a Bruce Broughton one for instance, then that would be a bit more rounded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Can you be sure of that? Maybe Favearu didn't have much creative freedom on this project to allow Debney to take this score and run with it. You and I have no clue how much possible outside interference their was from grubby non-creative producers and executive producers who wanted to make sure everything went their way... which might include the way the score sounds. Debney has proven that he can write a kick ass orchestral/rock score (The Scorpion King) and maybe both he AND Dja-hock-a-loogie were limited in what they could bring to the table with these films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Still doesn't change the fact that he writes terrible music!

-Erik-

Beat the Drum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Meh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's orchestra playing random stuff (apart the opening track and 2-3 other pieces which are a bit more focused) with layers of distorted electric guitar riffs on loop on top. That's nor rock, nor orchestral rock. It's a confused pseudo-rock amalgam that the industry has forced during the last couple of years, in attempts to make more money by echoing more to the younger generations, i suspect.

After watching the movie I didn't expect nothing about this score, but I have to say I'm enjoying a lot this score.

I agree with both of you, though. I think it's a really unfocused score, sometimes even it lacks of strengh in the orchestrations and the main themes are really uninspired (even If i like the "peacemaker"-like theme for Rourke's character). Djwadi's Iron Man has a a more appropieated main theme and it fits a lot better in the movie but...

.. I'm weak about scores with orchestra, electic guitars, electronics and chorus tongue The same happened with me and G.I joe.

"Monaco" punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HAUNTED SUMMER - Christopher Young

A lovely score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing Blade runner 25 anniversary edition

What a dissapointment. the unrealeased music is atmospheric and really dated, and the new inspired music is out of place.

anyway, the original Album is one of my all time favourite scores. Mindblowing!

NP:Lust Caution (Desplat)

I'm in Desplat mood after watching Ghost Writter. this one is in the top of his list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    .. I'm weak about scores with orchestra, electic guitars, electronics and chorus tongue The same happened with me and G.I joe.

For once, I think I can say with certainty that the problem is not with you...the weakness is in the scores themselves wink
  3. Avatar - James Horner

If there's one track that I would take with me on a deserted island, it would have to be "The Destruction of Hometree." That one cue encapsulates everything I love about Horner: the super-dramatic, almost operatic action music that no other composer I know can fully capture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    GRAEME REVELL - red planet

Absolutely fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    GRAEME REVELL - red planet

Absolutely fantastic.

I love it too.

This new age style it's fantastic. I don't know if as score, but as album for sure.
  4. Terminator 2 - Brad Fiedel

The metallic sound + good melodies x 2 giant brass balls = one helluva awesome action score. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. To go from T2 to this one is really no problem. My brain switches gears in a milli-second. cool

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Easily Elliot's best film score, or at least his most accessible and at the same time one of his most creative. There's nothing to hate here, even if you generally don't like Goldenthal! Play 'Toccata and Dreamscapes' insanely loud to really get what dark dissonant scoring means. I love that cue... Of course the rest is great as well. The choir is deliciously powerful and the themes are beautiful. This may well be his most fanfaristic score to date.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.