• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Have you heard it?

No, but I'm interested in hearing it for sure.

Then you just chime in to mock? And you're not interested, cause?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I'm interested in the score.

You just quoted me saying that. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    It is. It's your fault.

No. It's God's fault wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can assure you it's not MY fault, thank you very much! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Courage Under Fire - James Horner

Because it's been raining for days and I'm in a sad mood I put on this melancholic but very nice score by Horner. The Hymn theme resembles Williams' Hymn for the fallen very much but in this case Horner has his excuse: he wrote his Hymn two years before Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Horner's hymn was used in the Saving Private Ryan trailer!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time - Harry Gregson Williams

Harry's back in good form for this fun romp!
    Full of energy and very enjoyable middle eastern soundscape.
    It's what you'd expect but it is done well.
    cool
  1. "the Journey of Natty Gann" bootleg, to see if it has anything the Intrada doesn't. Result:

Three cues, about four minutes, not on the Intrada CD. Ripped, and the old CD-R is now trashed. Now I have more Natty Gann goodness to enjoy.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    And the sound quality of the boot Justin?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: United 93 - John Powell

The score builds up to one of the most powerful climaxes that I have ever heard with "The End."
    Truly haunting knowing the context of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

cool

You're very forgiving!

In its own right I found it okay with a nice enough little theme, but as a major blockbuster score of 2010 it's just weak. Harry Gregson-Williams continues to underwhelm me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Alexandra - Andrey Sigle

I bought this score based on all the praises it had received here on the forum. You were right, this is a very nice, relaxing and emotional album. Very classical in style and I love how Sigle uses many different instruments in the individual tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Atham wrote

cool

I'm happy you like it!. and yes, the middle eastern soundscape is cool (as it was in Spy game and KingDom of Heaven). But the orchestra lacks of "power" . I can't say it's better than the second Narnia but...

....How it's an adventure score and they are hard to find these days, I'm relistening right now:

The second track, it's a 7 minuts of rather good action music. I specially like this "spy game" vocalist on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Holy crap that's cheesy.

The music's nice.... just inappropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Really? Chessy? I think it's a brilliant trailer with perfectly selected music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

cool

You're very forgiving!

In its own right I found it okay with a nice enough little theme, but as a major blockbuster score of 2010 it's just weak. Harry Gregson-Williams continues to underwhelm me.

I think it's very impressive in parts. Even better the second time!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Holy crap that's cheesy.

The music's nice.... just inappropriate.

I agree, very VERY cheesy! I remember seeing that trailer at a cinema and thinking, oh no, a Spielberg schmaltz fest, I'll give that one a miss.

...and then it turned out to be one of the best war movies I've ever seen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

cool

You're very forgiving!

I think it's very impressive in parts. Even better the second time!

The first 2 tracks and even "rostrich race" are good. But I have two problems with HGW:

1- I think he is souless.
    2- His "voice" (Wich is one of the good things I could say about him) that pays more atention to the chorus and the solists than the orchestra, and it makes his scores lacks of strenght.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    L'ultimo dei Corleonesi - Ennio Morricone

At first I was a bit afraid of this score based on the reviews that all described it as quite hard an album. But then I kept returning to the sound clips at SAE regularly and finally I decided to give this album a chance. I didn't regret it at all. It is certainly not the lyrical, sweeping Morricone but not the atonal, dissonant one either. The best word to describe this music is probably dark. It is serious, dark music but I love the melodies and the orchestrations, mostly the tracks with the organ. There's only one track that is written in the usual lyrical Morricone-style and that one is wonderful. But I find the rest of the score very good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ok...

NP:Prince of Persia Sands of Time ( Harry gregson Williams)

I loved the game. In fact, it is one of my all time favourite videogames ever. (Sands of time , uh ?) . I don't care less about the movie. But back to the score...

Sands of time has an appropiate (if generic ) main theme , a lot of middle eastern soundscapes, big orchestra, chorus, and action music. So...what is wrong? well, Harry's mixing makes the orchestra lose his power. The same happened in KOH, Narnia, Wolverine...

Being said that, it is a pleasant listening. Sometimes even cool, sometimes even good. It's summer, and it's an arabian adventure score...so I will play it.

PS: A love theme could be have been welcomed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wolverine had an orchestra?

Kingdom of heaven was very good btw, mixing, melodies, orchestration, everything. It all came obvious in the 2 disc recording sessions disc that leaked.

n.p. JOHN OTTMAN - Valkyrie

The "they'll remember you" piece with the Wagnerian / Zimmeresque choir and the rich arrangements is the most emotionally vivid composition i've heard from this man. Impressive; more of this please Mr.Ottman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The first half of Prince Of Persia is VERY good indeed - the main theme has a seemingly very authentic Mideastern sound (I think Demetris will love it), good action cues like "Raid On Alamut" and "Dastan And Tamina Escape", I also love the dramatic quality of "Tamina Unveiled". "Ostrich Race" is also fantastic, wish it was longer. However... the quality goes down from the electronics heavy "Visions Of Death", and the action music thereafter seems quite on autopilot and not really as exciting. The last few tracks are better but by then it's too late. Either way I do like the score overall, but wish it had maintained quality in the second half as well. Will buy the CD if I can manage to find it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    The first half of Prince Of Persia is VERY good indeed - the main theme has a seemingly very authentic Mideastern sound (I think Demetris will love it), good action cues like "Raid On Alamut" and "Dastan And Tamina Escape", I also love the dramatic quality of "Tamina Unveiled". "Ostrich Race" is also fantastic, wish it was longer. However... the quality goes down from the electronics heavy "Visions Of Death", and the action music thereafter seems quite on autopilot and not really as exciting. The last few tracks are better but by then it's too late. Either way I do like the score overall, but wish it had maintained quality in the second half as well. Will buy the CD if I can manage to find it.

Agree.

3 tracks from Iron Man 2, 4 tracks from Sands of time...We almost have a whole score! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote

The "they'll remember you" piece with the Wagnerian / Zimmeresque choir and the rich arrangements is the most emotionally vivid composition i've heard from this man. Impressive; more of this please Mr.Ottman.

That piece is really good but unfortunately the rest of the score is rather empty. And that's true for Ottman's other scores as well. He should try to write pieces like this one more often and neglect the bland, generic filler stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That piece is really good but unfortunately the rest of the score is rather empty. And that's true for Ottman's other scores as well. He should try to write pieces like this one more often and neglect the bland, generic filler stuff.

Yeah but at least this album has ONE GOOD piece, unlike the majority of his work anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Alexandra - Andrey Sigle

I bought this score based on all the praises it had received here on the forum. You were right, this is a very nice, relaxing and emotional album. Very classical in style and I love how Sigle uses many different instruments in the individual tracks.

Beautiful isn't it? Glad you liked it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    rostrich

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    rostrich

biggrin

Screw you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Atham wrote

cool

Concurred! It's a really nicely paced album. Reminds me a bit of Kingdom of Heaven in how most of the music is about atmosphere and scene setting, with punctuated moments of action or high energy passages. I certainly don't think Harry's on autopilot with this score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    rostrich

biggrin

Screw you.

Sorry, I'm just laughing at the word itself, not the fact it came from you.

But that's funny also. wink