• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    plus the main theme as heard in the vibrant opening cue, "the prince of Persia" has something from the subtle elegance of the epics of the past, at least to my ears. .

Yes, but it reminds me too much to "sandcastles" melody from Mummy Returns. I know, both are middle eastern influenced, but there are 3 or 4 notes...

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy it so much. And I'm happy to see HGW composing something enjoyable again.

I remember when John and Harry came up.... nostalgic feelings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas newman - revolutionary road

We're surely getting far less from this composer than we should. American Beauty like, but a bit more developed, a bit more mature and certainly less depressing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    plus the main theme as heard in the vibrant opening cue, "the prince of Persia" has something from the subtle elegance of the epics of the past, at least to my ears. .

Yes, but it reminds me too much to "sandcastles" melody from Mummy Returns. I know, both are middle eastern influenced, but there are 3 or 4 notes...

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy it so much. And I'm happy to see HGW composing something enjoyable again.

I remember when John and Harry came up.... nostalgic feelings!

It doesn't bother me personally, those films are very relevant theme-wise anyway and who isn't influenced these days? As long as is not done in direct lift-off and obvious, sometimes even insulting ways, i don't mind smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote

We're surely getting far less from this composer than we should. American Beauty like, but a bit more developed, a bit more mature and certainly less depressing.

When is he going to do a large orchestral score again? Is there anything coming up from him? He's still one of my favourite composers. I was listening to The Horse Whisperer lately, and while not in the upper range of his output, it has some extra ordinary tracks. The violin and cello (or other strings) play in The Accident for example!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

When is he going to do a large orchestral score again? Is there anything coming up from him? He's still one of my favourite composers. I was listening to The Horse Whisperer lately, and while not in the upper range of his output, it has some extra ordinary tracks. The violin and cello (or other strings) play in The Accident for example!

I am not sure this kind of films / scores exists anymore today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it has a lot of work around the main theme and the 2ndary motives to drive it away from being soulless. Rather the contrary i'd say, the boldly dramatic choir-and-string orchestra of pieces like:

"Raid on Alamut"
    "Tamina Unveiled"
    "The king and his sons"
    "Trusting Nizam"
    "So, you're going to help me?"
    "Return to Alamut"
    "this is no ordinary dagger"
    "destiny"
    "raid on alamut"

are far from being soulless.

There's much less auto pilot electronica drone than the majority of his scores, and there's much less underscoring than usual. Almost every piece has a motif or two, plus the main theme as heard in the vibrant opening cue, "the prince of Persia" has something from the subtle elegance of the epics of the past, at least to my ears. It has absolutely succeeded in transporting me right there in that era, place and time of the movie and i haven't even watched it yet. Of course it's not a big bold epic in the traditional sense, but it shows a very inspired Harry if you ask me. Listen to it loud.

I'm being very repetitive right now, but....

WERD! QFT!!!!
  1. I hate the electronica parts, to be honest and Raid on Alamut sounds too Narnia to me.

There are rumors Zimmer is credited for a main theme in that movie (IMDb), is it true?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's not much electronica in there, really. It's not like it's a Tony Scott movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - avatar

One of the most notable scores of the last decade for sure.

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    There's not much electronica in there, really. It's not like it's a Tony Scott movie.

Sometimes it does seem like a Tony Scott score, I'm afraid. And I don't want a half-epic love rescue story to sound like Spy Game
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sometimes it does seem like a Tony Scott score, I'm afraid. And I don't want a half-epic love rescue story to sound like Spy Game

Well, to be fair, that's his trademarked sound identity. You either love it or hate it; but surprisingly, compared to - say, deja vu or prince caspian or especially the wolverine crappy thingy, this has way less of that sound than what i feared. It's much more orchestral in core.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - avatar

vomit

-Erik-

smile It's a Horner epic score, with all the pluses and minuses this implies. Still, if we were to compile a list of the most notable scores from 2000 to 2010 i am sure many would think twice before leaving that out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010 edited
    [edit]

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - defiance

If you look at it closely, this score with its beautiful moments does bear similarities in tone and instrumentation with Schindler's list (also due to the topics of the 2 movies) but down the larger picture, it doesn't have the timeless qualities the John Williams classic does. Still a fine album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - avatar

vomit

-Erik-

smile It's a Horner epic score, with all the pluses and minuses this implies. Still, if we were to compile a list of the most notable scores from 2000 to 2010 i am sure many would think twice before leaving that out.

It's easy to pick 10, 20, 100 scores in the past decade better than Avatar!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

If you look at the big picture, this score with its beautiful moments does bear similarities in tone and instrumentation with Schindler's list (also due to the topics of the 2 movies) but down the larger picture, it doesn't have the timeless qualities the John Williams classic does. Still a fine album.

You're slipping D....you're slipping...

read what you've written again
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    10 yes, 20hmmmm, 100? You're exaggerating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    10 yes, 20hmmmm, 100? You're exaggerating.

Not exaggerating at all. Every single one of my Top 10 scores of the past decade are miles ahead of Avatar!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, to be fair, that's his trademarked sound identity. You either love it or hate it; but surprisingly, compared to - say, deja vu or prince caspian or especially the wolverine crappy thingy, this has way less of that sound than what i feared. It's much more orchestral in core.

Agree. It's like KingDom of heaven wich had the same electronics on it. It's his trademark. How i said, i'm more worried about his other trademark: his strings/choral oriented action music. (besides let not forget it's a Brucheimer production)

I think Simbad was his most symphonic score, and his less electronic one. But I can't say it was better than Prince of Persia anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

If you look at the big picture, this score with its beautiful moments does bear similarities in tone and instrumentation with Schindler's list (also due to the topics of the 2 movies) but down the larger picture, it doesn't have the timeless qualities the John Williams classic does. Still a fine album.

Perhaps you could tell me where I can hear James Horner's Defiance?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agree. It's like KingDom of heaven wich had the same electronics on it. It's his trademark. How i said, i'm more worried about his other trademark: his strings/choral oriented action music. (besides let not forget it's a Brucheimer production)

I think Simbad was his most symphonic score, and his less electronic one. But I can't say it was better than Prince of Persia anyway.

That was more orchestral, more symphonic in nature but way less focused. Prince of Persia has specific themes which are quite memorably i'd say and appear in renditions enough as to establish a coherent listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

i'm waiting.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

Why, it's right there with Jerry Goldsmith's "Star Trek III"...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which I'm sure D will have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

Oh stop beating me already! It was a typo, fixed it smile As for Horner's Defiance, you can listen to it in my dreams, where i am heading as we speak 'cause of the sleepiness on which that typo is attributed! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - defiance

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    See Marcel, it's true, he's slipping badly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh stop beating me already! It was a typo, fixed it smile

After it's been quoted a million times. You should have kept it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    RE: Prince of Persia...haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's gotta be pretty decent if both Hans Zimmer and Demetris like it. Looking forward to it!

But I seriously want to know what the heck Jordi actually means while simultaneously calling HGW's music "soulless" and then in the same sentence describing HGW's trademark style. Typically when you can pinpoint a composer's style that precisely, their music is the very opposite of soulless: they have a distinct musical personality. I understand the criticism that his orchestrations often lack the power and "testosterone"-ish feel of many of his MV/RC counterparts, but that's hardly a bad thing in and of itself. It's only when he's overdosing on the electronics that his music is soulless, and that's because it's really hard to communicate emotion with those types of unnatural sounds. But how is an emphasis on choir and vocals soul-less? That's precisely the thing that, when done right, gives HGW's music its heart and soul. Veronica Guerin, Spy Game, Kingdom of Heaven...all his best scores feature a lot of different vocal parts.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Scribe wrote
    RE: Prince of Persia...haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's gotta be pretty decent if both Hans Zimmer and Demetris like it. Looking forward to it!

Good, people read my interview biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote

Good, people read my interview biggrin

Any update? I remember you saying that there's an addendum to that interview?