• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Well, I think that this is the beauty of music Antony. Creating different feelings and thoughts to different people. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Well, depends. Personally I'd like to medicate people who are moved by the likes of Stockhausen...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm with Stavi on this one.

Although there are generic electronic elements that kinda annoy me in the second half of the score I'm still impressed by HGW's output on the most part here.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. ALAN SILVESTRI - cast away

Repetitive but can you really get enough of that gorgeous theme? I, for one, can't smile

For me, that's the most genuinely emotional thing Silvestri ever wrote. It's genius how the whole film goes without a score up untill that very last act.

That and Forrest Gump. Beautiful.

Well, I've heard Forest Gump way too often, and I love the more restrained quality of Cast Away, but Gump is lovely as well.

If you don't know Contact, give that a chance. It's also very emotional, yet restrained and exciting where it needs to be. The movie's totally sublime too.

I can second that too. Its main theme and the finale in particular, are some of the strongest material Silvestri has ever written.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Pearl Harbor

" tenesse" and "then I kissed him" are gorgeous.

I love that score; i never understood why people dissed it so much; ok, it's far from being refined or original, but it contains some pretty strong Gladiator-esque material from Zimmer and the tracks you mention are very rich thematically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Streitenfeld's completely lackluster effort Robin Hood.

It has its moments. I quite like it.

Although you can hear the Zimmer roots, I think it works pretty well in the film for a Ridley Scott score. Gets you feeling the right things at the right moments.

interesting that you say that. I'd imagine, by what you write here people, that it's a score very closely connected with the film it accompanies 'cause on CD it strikes very little with me. I want to watch it sometime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Amon Tobin
    Great sound design and sampling in this game score.
    It reminds me of the heyday of jungle drum & bass, but far more melodic and varied. Excellent stuff. Off-beat, to be sure, and certainly not for everyone (he samples everything from eerie radio voices to a screwdriver scratching over piano strings). But I greatly enjoy it.

Anthony has a good taste then, eh ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ~ Harry Gregson - Williams
    Oh my!Completly captivating! It gives you right away the feeling of the place and time you are supposed to get and it is has a very fresh sound not following the typical path of the "middle - eastern" sound in such films. Loved it! smile

Wow, I thought it was one of the most generic sounding scores of the year.

Not at all, it's full of strong themes and some of the choral material is very strong. Sometimes i wonder if we're listening to the same things wink smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Not at all, it's full of strong themes smile

Mmm...no.

It has 2 themes. both generic. They are not enough to sustain 60 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Mmmm, I don't understand why we should disagree in matters that have to do with personal opinion or just taste. I mean I listen to music for the thrill of it and this is obviously a score I like. But only for once I will envoke my knolewdge as a musician and agree with D that it has strong themes,more thah two mind you, and I don't think they are generic. But again I admit that this is just what I get from it. So, next time I listen to it I'll try to see the other point of view, not that I will eventually agree. wink smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Stavroula wrote
    Mmmm, I don't understand why we should disagree in matters that have to do with personal opinion or just smile

Because I'm jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Ah, ok, if that is so!Fine by me! wink
  1. Nautilus wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Mmmm, I don't understand why we should disagree in matters that have to do with personal opinion or just smile

Because I'm jordi.

Post of the day biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

too short cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Amon Tobin
    ...I greatly enjoy it.

Anthony has a good taste then, eh ? wink

Are you kidding?
    He listens to THREE HOUR mega-rips. freezing Maniac!
    I'm listening to the regular release, which does me just fine.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Lion Of The Desert - Maurice Jarre

Starts off a little slow, but very quickly comes into its own, with some wonderfully powerful anthems, thematic melodies and middle-eastern styles as they should be used: conductive to the flow of the musical material, not as a style element cut and pasted whenever convenient. Jarre does this like no other.

Another thing he does exceedingly well is writing a proper march! The march he wrote for Italian general Graziani may seem to borrow a little from his wonderful work on Is Paris Burning?, but it's quickly evident Jarre takes it onto a different route, becoming yet another highlight in his oeuvre of power marches.

That added to the rest of the exciting, thematic material, and what we have here is an instant new personal favourite.

I cared less for the more lowkey The Message in the same CD set, which will get few spins from me, but disc 1 has made this purchase more than worthwhile.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really liked The Message, and it will get more spins from me. I agree that 'Lion' is the "better" score though, very enjoyable.

p.s. I can barely wait for MAD MAX : BEYOND THUNDERDOME.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Complete) - Maurice Jarre

I've played the original album before but nothing really stuck out for me. It was fine music but I didn't have an emotional connection to it. I hope I find something to hold onto in this complete presentation from Tadlow.

So far, I really like the Bartertown Theme (mostly percussion) and the use of authentic Auzzie instrumentation and percussion. However, "The Pigrock" theme is terrible. That sleazy sax is Godawful!

I really like the Thunderdome fanfare and the rest that goes with that cue (Track 10.) The more meaty orchestral parts are great! While the sound has improved from the original release it still sounds incredibly thin... especially the brass. Very tinny... and there's basically NO low end in the recording whatsoever! Ugh! It doesn't sound like a 90 player Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to me.

Oh yeah... the Children's Theme... delightful! It's more dramatic use throughout the score is that emotional connect I was searching for. Still, this isn't classic for me but I'm glad I've been able to experience the score in this format.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That sleazy sax is ....FOOKING BRILLIANT!!! punk cool

p.s. Did you notice any problems with the pressing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-
    ]

I can't enjoy this score . The composition is sublime, some of the best music Jarre has ever composed, but the recording and mixing is awful, and it damages my listeing experience.

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    That sleazy sax is ....FOOKING BRILLIANT!!!

I haven't seen the movie so I can't put it in context but it's terrible! For some reason every time it plays I can't help but think of this gif

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Movie or not ( I barely remember it ) I love that bit of the score.

It's a really raunchy, rock n' roll sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Secret In Their Eyes - Kauderer & Jusid

Second listen. Wow this is such a Demetris score. And it's quite beautiful.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote

Oh boy... "Boarding the Train" and "The Big Chase" are great!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

It is, isn't it? Have you watched the movie? Very powerful one, oscar winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-
    ]

I can't enjoy this score . The composition is sublime, some of the best music Jarre has ever composed, but the recording and mixing is awful, and it damages my listeing experience.

sad

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    House of Cards - James Horner

It was a blind buy but a worthy one, I must say. The more I listen to it the more I like it. Melodic, tender, with some very strong themes. Kudos to Intrada for releasing this little gem!
  2. ^ Yep I very much agree. How this became unreleased for such a long time is a mystery to me. I'm glad I got a copy before it went OOP. A small gem from when James wrote nothing but gems.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

It is, isn't it? Have you watched the movie? Very powerful one, oscar winner.

No but I have added it to my Netflix queue.

It's not often you get choir in the more intimate scores like this...and it's used to gorgeous effect.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!