• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Henry V are my 2 favourite. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Bear McCreary

For those who watched (and loved) the show, the second disc is a particularly nostalgic and emotional listen. I think I'd still enjoy it had I not seen the show, but it's definitely better to have a context for all the themes McCreary created throughout the four seasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Bear McCreary

For those who watched (and loved) the show, the second disc is a particularly nostalgic and emotional listen. I think I'd still enjoy it had I not seen the show, but it's definitely better to have a context for all the themes McCreary created throughout the four seasons.

It's a great score regardless if we watched the show or not; but i get what you're saying and it's all true, if one has watched it, surely the emotional connection will be much greater. Generally speaking, McCreary's one of the freshest voices out there, especially through his bsg output.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. The Hours - Phillip Glass

There are certainly some nice moments in this score. I like the general feel of it and the tone that it sets. Not sure that I would choose to listen to it over a lot of other things very frequently, but one of the better things I've heard from Glass (though I must admit to being ignorant about a lot of his work).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

A mix of the ultimate edition and the regular release. Great score!

Up Next: Legends of the Fall by James Horner

Bliss!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited
    NP: Film Music 2009 - City of Prague Philharmonic

I think I like "War" better after hearing it in such a different context and recording.

I think part of the problem for me is that it seems to be out of context with the rest of the Avatar score, sonically. Almost all of the ethnic flavorings that dominate the majority of the score are gone, causing it to feel almost like tacked on production music. Albeit, really good production music. But I think I'd like it a lot more if it kept the children's choir (back off Jordi wink) and the woodwinds. Those elements, used as they are in Avatar, are a large part of what gives the score its unique feel.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I just bought the Ultimate edition from Thor and I'm awaiting its arrival, because I like the regular album so much, and there is still much left off it I want to hear. But I've read very mixed comments about this so-called complete edition. Such as piss poor edits and a disjointed feel overall. What are your thoughts on it Erik?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I just bought the Ultimate edition from Thor and I'm awaiting its arrival, because I like the regular album so much, and there is still much left off it I want to hear. But I've read very mixed comments about this so-called complete edition. Such as piss poor edits and a disjointed feel overall. What are your thoughts on it Erik?

I'm not Erik but I'd say most of the Ultimate Edition is ok, until you get to the final battle sequence...the 20-30 minutes concluding the film are hacked to death. There are various fan edits floating around on the internet which are purported to better represent the way Williams actually intended the music to be used. So you can look into some of them and make your own mix if you wish.

The other issue is that it suffers from Powell-like excess of short gapless tracks, so bad that sometimes you have one piece of music cut up into like 10 tracks. I combined them all so I'm left with an album that has only about 12-15 tracks instead of 70-ish.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Ultimate Edition is basically the isolated score... crumby edits, loops and all. However, there are some extraordinary cues that aren't on the regular release... Qui-Gon's noble theme in "To Coruscant And To Palpatine And The Senate," the awesome music after the main title "Treachery Within The Federation" the killer counterpoint of the Force Theme and Duel of the Fates in "The Tide Turns," the complete "On To Naboo And The Rescue Of The Queen." Those are the highlights. But when you get into the battle music from last act that's when the editing the chopping of Williams' music becomes evident!

Scribe wrote
    The other issue is that it suffers from Powell-like excess of short gapless tracks, so bad that sometimes you have one piece of music cut up into like 10 tracks. I combined them all so I'm left with an album that has only about 12-15 tracks instead of 70-ish.

I did that too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Oh dear, the finale hacked to death? sad That's not very promising.

But thanks for making me aware of those fan versions, maybe I'll do some digging later on. It depends on how I'll judge this release, for good or worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hope one day we get a complete "as intended release" - there are some superb variations of the Trade March during the final battle that didn't see the light of day in the film or on CD!

-Erik-
  5. Yes that'll be the day: when the film score fan gets a release in his hands that is absolutely 100 % satisfactory. You think that'll happen this century?

Uhm... Now I think about it... ID4 was pretty satisfying on the whole. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ID4 was beyond satisfactory!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Prince of Narnia Persia Tides Harry Gregson-Williams

Eh, s'alright. *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Alamo - Dimitri Tiomkin

My first experience with this score... I know and LOVE the theme but I haven't heard the rest of the score. Anywho, I'm a few tracks in and I really, really like it! And the sound quality.... WOW! James Fitzpatrick, The City of Prague Orchestra and engineer Jan Holzner finally have their shit together. Close miked, dry sound, little to no reverb or compression... excellent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Prince of Narnia Persia Tides Harry Gregson-Williams
    Eh, s'alright. *shrug*

lol
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Alamo - Dimitri Tiomkin

My first experience with this score... I know and LOVE the theme but I haven't heard the rest of the score. Anywho, I'm a few tracks in and I really, really like it! And the sound quality.... WOW! James Fitzpatrick, The City of Prague Orchestra and engineer Jan Holzner finally have their shit together. Close miked, dry sound, little to no reverb or compression... excellent!

-Erik-

The theme is to die for. I must check this one out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    SPLINTER CELL 3 : CHAOS THEORY by Amor Tobin (who is this guy anyway?)

Cool drum n bass and electronic, laid back nature, great soothing and groovy listen. Exactly what i needed todayy! punk

The God of avant garde electronic music. King of samples. Whatever you want to call him. (Amon Tobin btw). While my favourite album is Permutation, Foley Room is beyond impressive as everything you hear was recorded live in a studio and warped and mutated the shit out of on synthesizers. Have you ever heard a motorbike being used as a musical instrument? You have now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very impressive indeed. Any background info on the man?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ooh, and make sure you check out his live Brussels gig he did a couple of years ago on a surround speaker set up!

Mindblowing to think this was recorded in a club!

http://www.amontobin.com/storeNew/detai … &id=42
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

you find every score impressive D. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not Pirates of theeeee sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's been a long time since anyone mentioned Pirates of Thhhheeeeeeeee sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Not Pirates of theeeee sleep

I said , D. No A. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    It's been a long time since anyone mentioned Pirates of Thhhheeeeeeeee sleep

Just 4 seconds ago...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WHUZZZAAH!!!??!!

Don't startle me awake man slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, not really.

For instance, kung fu panda vomit
  6. NP: Under the Mountain --- Victoria Kelly

Another reason why movie music of today bores me more and more, man this is boring music. The description sounded really enticing, and MovieScore Media can do no harm with me whatsoever, but this is an album that bored me the first time, and now even more the second time. Dark, brooding stuff, not one I'll listen to again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, not really.

For instance, kung fu panda vomit

Yet you're impressed by Prince of Persia!?