• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Did those choral parts remind you of a way more refined, european take on Da vinci code? Other than those scenes however, which you'll see they have a great weight in the film, the true gold lies within the touching main theme via cello / piano and string orchestra and of course the very sentimental climax. I think you'll love the movie, it's such a realistic, humane story of passion.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Streitenfeld's completely lackluster effort Robin Hood.

It has its moments. I quite like it.

Although you can hear the Zimmer roots, I think it works pretty well in the film for a Ridley Scott score. Gets you feeling the right things at the right moments.

interesting that you say that. I'd imagine, by what you write here people, that it's a score very closely connected with the film it accompanies 'cause on CD it strikes very little with me. I want to watch it sometime.

Oh, it's perfectly average, I assure you. But there can be pleasure in that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting coming from you, for such a film and score smile
  2. I guess the last couple of Ridley Scott films have been so average from a music POV that to even notice music in the film felt like a good thing! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Red Dead Redemption - Bill Elm & Woody Jackson

A classic take on Western scores, full of cliches and with lots of little modern twists. Two thumbs up for the awesome "Triggernometry" cue. The only little gripe is a lot of cues build up and then carry on for a bit too long, but otherwise it's one of my favourite scores of the year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    NP: Franz is back! by franz
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Thank God. Now if only got Southall back too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CLINT MANSELL - requiem for a dream

Phenomenal scoring for a movie that's considered by many as a modern cinema classic. I think i agree, especially as time goes by and i revisit it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

I hope all is well for him at the moment (although I'm sure it's probably not).
  3. Yeah, where is James?

Apologies for being a bit out of it, btw. I'm listening to scores as much as ever, just totally out of the loop with the internet community. Physical life is as busy as it's ever been, sometimes exhaustingly so, but mostly exciting. smile

NP: Moon (Mansell)

'Memories' is great. The main loop gets a bit repetitive for me - Mansell is not a composer with a lot of tricks up his sleeve - but I like it as a mood score to go alongside SOLARIS, CODE 46 and BREAKING AND ENTERING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Moon (Mansell)

'Memories' is great. The main loop gets a bit repetitive for me - Mansell is not a composer with a lot of tricks up his sleeve - but I like it as a mood score to go alongside SOLARIS, CODE 46 and BREAKING AND ENTERING.

The concluding tracks with the cello and the tinkly things are my favorite part of that score...the rest isn't too memorable.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Did those choral parts remind you of a way more refined, european take on Da vinci code? Other than those scenes however, which you'll see they have a great weight in the film, the true gold lies within the touching main theme via cello / piano and string orchestra and of course the very sentimental climax. I think you'll love the movie, it's such a realistic, humane story of passion.

The choral parts in Secret are so much subtler and more moving that I hardly think Da Vinci Code is worthy to be compared with it. wink

The interplay between the cello and the piano in the latter half of the "Main Theme" cue is just jaw-droppingly perfect.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Blasphemy!

Kung Fu Panda is one of the best scores from both composers! Epic, dramatic, funny, action packed, exotic..

crazy crazy crazy

PS: happy feet can't be more fragmented until the last 5 tracks!!!! rolleyes

NP:Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Let me make a more focused listening after the 2 first tracks...

Kung Fu Panda is one of my favorite scores of the past few years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Complete) - Maurice Jarre

-Erik-
    ]

I can't enjoy this score . The composition is sublime, some of the best music Jarre has ever composed, but the recording and mixing is awful, and it damages my listeing experience.

sad

biggrin

dizzy confused dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I hope all is well for him at the moment (although I'm sure it's probably not).

I feel the same, his absence worries me but i really hope for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm back! Thanks for your notes - posted something in the lost members thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of persia

Boy, this is good. I never expected to say this for a post 2005 HGW score but the choice of chords, melodic procession and instrumentation / style he's following here really pushes the right buttons. I am sure that my liking towards this is also due to the absence of moody electronic underscore that goes nowhere and which filled his previous efforts during the last 2-3 years or so, and the middle eastern parts aren't over-flowing the score, just subtly interweaving from one piece to the other. A great plus are the themes which are very bold and slightly old-fashioned. Yes, it's not the score of the year in any circumstance but it's certainly a very refreshing instalment, mostly maybe due to the fact that i had zero expectations about it. And Harry sounds a bit refreshed too in this one, inspired maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I cannot anything else but follow your lead wink ! So,
    Prince of Persia ~ Harry Fregson Williams
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. I've been listening to Prince of Persia the last couple of days and I really like it. I'm a sucker for this sort of ethnic-influenced scoring (when it's done well) and this is a good example. Not the best score ever to be released but a worthy purchase.

Centurion on the other hand is a bit different. A bit disappointed after hearing the clips. Definitely more of a challenge to listen to. It will certainly need a few more listens to see if it's something that I'll return to much in the future.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've been listening to Prince of Persia the last couple of days and I really like it. I'm a sucker for this sort of ethnic-influenced scoring (when it's done well) and this is a good example. Not the best score ever to be released but a worthy purchase.

Really glad you're liking it Alan and i completely feel you. Those sentimental chords, the big bold theme and the choral hit all the right notes. I haven't been excited with HGW since Kingdom Of heaven and this one looks like it's going to prove an even better score.
  5. I think that Prince of Persia is more consistently listenable than Kingdom of Heaven, though the latter score has the more powerful highlights.

I was listening to some clips from the upcoming Shrek film and I have to say that I enjoyed those as well: a bit darker than what's been done before in this franchise? But I'll wait to hear some more before deciding on this.

HGW is definitely on an up at the moment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Christodoulides wrote

Boy, this is good. I never expected to say this for a post 2005 HGW score but the choice of chords, melodic procession and instrumentation / style he's following here really pushes the right buttons. I am sure that my liking towards this is also due to the absence of moody electronic underscore that goes nowhere and which filled his previous efforts during the last 2-3 years or so, and the middle eastern parts aren't over-flowing the score, just subtly interweaving from one piece to the other. A great plus are the themes which are very bold and slightly old-fashioned. Yes, it's not the score of the year in any circumstance but it's certainly a very refreshing instalment, mostly maybe due to the fact that i had zero expectations about it. And Harry sounds a bit refreshed too in this one, inspired maybe?

I think you voiced my thoughts on this score smack on there good sir! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TARO IWASHIRO - ref cliff part II

Better than the first instalment, more dramatic and melodic. But still, that main theme gets repeated all over and dominates the score and it's annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Demetris is not OK having sex with music albums....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    heheheheh
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    TARO IWASHIRO - ref cliff part II

Better than the first instalment, more dramatic and melodic. But still, that main theme gets repeated all over and dominates the score and it's annoying.

Yeah the repetitive nature of Red Cliff can be a little grating. That's why I have enough with my 10 minute suite.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SPLINTER CELL 3 : CHAOS THEORY by Amor Tobin (who is this guy anyway?)

Cool drum n bass and electronic, laid back nature, great soothing and groovy listen. Exactly what i needed todayy! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I like Prince Of Persia a lot too, it's sure a very enjoyable a listen despite the slight loss of steam in the second half.
  7. Carlito's Way - Patrick Doyle

Dramatically superb with more than enough heartfelt string passages. But the real meat for me is the suspense / action music, which is just incredible. The 10 minute rhythmic masterpiece called 'Grand Central' is one of most inspiring and complex pieces Doyle ever wrote. The album is worth it for this track alone. I really don't listen enough to this one. shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Carlito's Way - Patrick Doyle

Dramatically superb with more than enough heartfelt string passages. But the real meat for me is the suspense / action music, which is just incredible. The 10 minute rhythmic masterpiece called 'Grand Central' is one of most inspiring and complex pieces Doyle ever wrote. The album is worth it for this track alone. I really don't listen enough to this one. shame

Absolutely beautiful! Along with Wah-wah, my 2 favourite Doyle scores.