• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010
    Funny, I never recall the likes of John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Miklos Rozsa, Elmer Bernstein etc writing lots of mediochre scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cinema was wholly different from what it is today; and as for the rest i have no extensive experience, but i heard of lot Goldsmiith stuff that is mediocre to my ears, especially the over-hyped synth fart period, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I agree - but the list of turkeys with great scores is pretty long. Few truly great films have a score as truly great as The Final Conflict, for instance.

Yes, but a) it's Goldsmith and b) the subject nature of the film lends itself to grand music, even if the film itself is crap.

But what a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010 edited
    NP: Medicine Man

Perfect for this hot wave.

"first morning" it's one of the few pieces that no one mentions and that i find really gorgeous.

A gorgeous, beautiful and "fresh" score.

edit: Changed to...

NP:Beyond Rangoon (Zimmer)

I saw the signed cover and I coudln't resist.

One of the most beautiful themes he has ever composed. A really mindblowing and powerful score.

In my Zimmer top 5.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

One of the very best scores ever written, true brilliance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cinema was wholly different from what it is today; and as for the rest i have no extensive experience, but i heard of lot Goldsmiith stuff that is mediocre to my ears, especially the over-hyped synth fart period, imo.

I don't buy that. There have always been good films and bad films and there have always been good scores and bad scores and while Goldsmith, Barry, Williams, Morricone etc may have written a handful of poor scores and many which were average but not brilliant, I can't honestly think of many scores by them which would provoke a reaction like "is this seriously by the guy who wrote Lady in the Water?"

But then I'm not sure why we're talking about this because I'm not sure I've heard downright bad scores from people like Giacchino, Desplat or Powell anyway (well, not since Powell left Media Ventures anyway, he certainly churned out some crap beforehand in that creativity-destroying enrivonment).
  1. Remote Control/Media Ventures aside, film music and cinema has changed. Can you imagine something like Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan scored by Miklos Rozsa? Or Black Hawk Down done by Bernard Herrmann?

I know I will take lots of criticism here, but bear with my theory. I think cinema went back to what it tried back in the 70s but with higher production values and, alas, CGI. I won't talk about the differences between the 1970s Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 and the Tony Scott remake (which I actually enjoyed as a movie and I don't think Gregson-Williams's theme is very bad) here, because it's pointless. What I am getting at is that cinema, after the purely senseless, though score-inspiring, action period of 1980s to mid 1990s got back to the idea of being more realistic, down to earth and gritty. Granted, we won't get another French Connection here, but the return to hand-held camera work is an interesting thing.

JNH said something important about the condition of modern film scores when he said about Dark Knight that they tried not to give away too much information about characters in the score. While the wording here was very unfortunate, I kind of get the point of what he said. That said, they failed here, when they overloaded a few scenes in the end of the movie to almost unbearable proportions. Intensity backs off to ambient. Giving identity backs off. A composer told me it's a time issue, but the producers are afraid giving the music too much identity and intensity will kill the movie. And with the gritty character, it may. The point though is that a movie like Black Sunday could use little music (not all music cut from the movie is a good idea), today what producers are afraid of (and/or directors) is also, alas, silence.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Twister - Mark Mancina

Loved the film and I love the score !
    Some of my personal favourite tracks are the opening 'Oklahoma' , 'The Hunt' , 'We're Almost There' ,
    'Dorothy Mobile Home' which starts all eerie and builds up to the theme , the alternate version of that track is also great and the 'Demo' track which ends the CD .
    Whatever happened to director Jan De Bont ?!
    He hasn't made any new films since 2003 !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Because his last two movies were god-awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010 edited
    Eric wroteWhatever happened to director Jan De Bont ?!

It was said Spielberg wasn't exactly happy with The Haunting (which he made for DreamWorks), after which the executive producer gig on Minority Report seemed like a "let me show you how it is done" job. Tomb Raider II after that didn't do too well either (to put it lightly) which meant he had 3 flops in a row (Speed 2 even being a downright disaster). Ever since he's been trying to get projects off the ground that all fell into development hell (for years he worked on a film with a giant shark, then he tried his luck with a new version of Dracula... neither of them worked out).
  3. Erik's best of 2009 show. Great stuff, Erik. Thanks.

I'm currently listening to his #3 from 2009 for the first time (it's been on my list of things to get, but that is a very long list).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

One of the very best scores ever written, true brilliance.

The best in my books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Erik's best of 2009 show. Great stuff, Erik. Thanks.

I'm currently listening to his #3 from 2009 for the first time (it's been on my list of things to get, but that is a very long list).

Great score huh?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Eric wroteWhatever happened to director Jan De Bont ?!

It was said Spielberg wasn't exactly happy with The Haunting (which he made for DreamWorks), after which the executive producer gig on Minority Report seemed like a "let me show you how it is done" job. Tomb Raider II after that didn't do too well either (to put it lightly) which meant he had 3 flops in a row (Speed 2 even being a downright disaster). Ever since he's been trying to get projects off the ground that all fell into development hell (for years he worked on a film with a giant shark, then he tried his luck with a new version of Dracula... neither of them worked out).

He directed these films and we are still seriously asking ourselves where the fuck is he? He's out of the scene for a good reason, at least to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Remote Control/Media Ventures aside, film music and cinema has changed. Can you imagine something like Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan scored by Miklos Rozsa? Or Black Hawk Down done by Bernard Herrmann?

This is clearly true, but cinema has changed throughout the ages (look at the changes faced by say Goldsmith or Bernstein between the late 50s and early 00s) and the best composers have always found a way to musically illustrate stories without resorting to simple drone. Having said that, I can't seriously imagine that people like James Newton Howard actually like having to write music like that in the Batman films - it's there because that's what the director wants. Maybe that's the one thing that has changed beyond others (in terms of music) - directors these days have a lot more power than they ever used to and someone like Christopher Nolan who clearly doesn't like film music which says anything can get his way very easily. It's hard to disagree, mind - I would never want to listen to the albums ever again, but his two Batman films are both terrific even with their anonymous music. Could they be even better if they had different scores? Well, maybe - who knows. You can't argue with their success.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Could they be even better if they had different scores?

I think the Joker music/sound design is pretty much perfect, but I can definitely imagine the rest of the score being replaced by something superior which would match the film's quality. (Having said that, I'm still a fan of Zimmer's and JNH's sequel score.)

<openingupoldwounds>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Could they be even better if they had different scores?

I think the Joker music/sound design is pretty much perfect, but I can definitely imagine the rest of the score being replaced by something superior which would match the film's quality. (Having said that, I'm still a fan of Zimmer's and JNH's sequel score.)

<openingupoldwounds>

Agree. For Nolan's 21st century Batman, what they created is perfect. Let's not remain stuck
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well yes, I said the Joker's music is perfect. wink

The rest I enjoy and have absolutely nothing against, but I would like to have heard Goldenthal's take on it. (A take where he would have been allowed free reign and no limits from Nolan that is.)
  4. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Remote Control/Media Ventures aside, film music and cinema has changed. Can you imagine something like Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan scored by Miklos Rozsa? Or Black Hawk Down done by Bernard Herrmann?

This is clearly true, but cinema has changed throughout the ages (look at the changes faced by say Goldsmith or Bernstein between the late 50s and early 00s) and the best composers have always found a way to musically illustrate stories without resorting to simple drone. Having said that, I can't seriously imagine that people like James Newton Howard actually like having to write music like that in the Batman films - it's there because that's what the director wants. Maybe that's the one thing that has changed beyond others (in terms of music) - directors these days have a lot more power than they ever used to and someone like Christopher Nolan who clearly doesn't like film music which says anything can get his way very easily. It's hard to disagree, mind - I would never want to listen to the albums ever again, but his two Batman films are both terrific even with their anonymous music. Could they be even better if they had different scores? Well, maybe - who knows. You can't argue with their success.

You say that Nolan clearly hates film music, which you don't know. He likes the score to be seamless with the sound design - a part which Zimmer actually clearly LOVES about working with him. Though, as much as I love the Joker sound design and the basic idea, if you ask me if Dark Knight could have had a better score, I'd say yes. Batman Begins, in my opinion, could not. A slightly different score to Dark Knight (actually I would have them rescore the whole movie from the Ferry sequence to the end, especially the final Gary Oldman monologue,

You mention Goldsmith and Bernstein which are prime examples, but I think the best comparison of the style changes would be, when it comes to older composers, Goldsmith and Williams in the early 2000s.

Could a piece like Battle of Yavin be written today? I think not. Not because composers got worse. John Williams wouldn't have written it anymore himself. Goldsmith? OK, he could have written the First Blood theme in this decade, but listen to Sum of All Fears or Star Trek: Nemesis. I think this got slightly beyond his decision to simplify his style after the rejection of Legend or the relative lack of appreciation to his work on Total Recall (I heard two theories here). Does it mean that they became worse film composers in the years? Not at all! I'd take Minority Report ANY DAY over Towering Inferno, for example. Same for War of the Worlds (the only Williams score I don't really like in last decade must be Munich). Could a score like Black Sunday fit a movie today? I think that it actually could. It's a case of the intelligence of the composer. If not Williams himself again, I'd love to give that kind of movie to Desplat and see what he does with it.

Often the whole discussion resorts to the fact that Hans Zimmer simplified and dumbed down film music in last years and while I think he's one of the more intelligent (though least orchestrally proficient) guys in the genre, his trying to make the story more complex actually gets the effect you are mentioning, partly because of his approach. It's not only the interviews. Da Vinci Code fails as a film score precisely (I think moreso than Dark Knight or Batman Begins), because he tried to do something smart and intellectual (and so damn serious) for a ridiculous religious thriller... But he tries to be smart and not an idiot there. I commend him for that.
  5. Steven wrote
    Well yes, I said the Joker's music is perfect. wink

The rest I enjoy and have absolutely nothing against, but I would like to have heard Goldenthal's take on it. (A take where he would have been allowed free reign and no limits from Nolan that is.)

Something tells me, Nolan would have loved a Goldenthal score if he gave him a try!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Could a piece like Battle of Yavin be written today? I think not. Not because composers got worse. John Williams wouldn't have written it anymore himself. Goldsmith? OK, he could have written the First Blood theme in this decade, but listen to Sum of All Fears or Star Trek: Nemesis. I think this got slightly beyond his decision to simplify his style after the rejection of Legend or the relative lack of appreciation to his work on Total Recall (I heard two theories here). Does it mean that they became worse film composers in the years? Not at all! I'd take Minority Report ANY DAY over Towering Inferno, for example. Same for War of the Worlds (the only Williams score I don't really like in last decade must be Munich). Could a score like Black Sunday fit a movie today? I think that it actually could. It's a case of the intelligence of the composer. If not Williams himself again, I'd love to give that kind of movie to Desplat and see what he does with it.

I actually think Williams just got better and better as the years went by. At least, his music got more interesting to me. I love a lot of his 70s/80s stuff without question, but for me (and possibly no other human being) his golden period was the 2000s. Goldsmith I tihnk changed far beyond that, he realised (whether it was Legend or Total Recall or whatever that prompted it is open to question, but the fact that it happened I don't think is) that he was simply putting more effort in than anyone else and that actually he could earn just as much money and just as many awards (ie none) by taking a much simpler approach like most of his colleagues.

As for Da Vinci Code being an example of Zimmer trying to be smart... you had me with everything else, but then you had to go and say that! For me it wasn't just a bad score, but one which was truly idiotically misguided. I think he's written smart scores on a few occasions (Thin Red Line and Black Hawk Down most obvious to me) but certainly not that one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You say that Nolan clearly hates film music, which you don't know. He likes the score to be seamless with the sound design - a part which Zimmer actually clearly LOVES about working with him.

Oops, I forgot to comment on this. I didn't say Nolan clearly hates film music, I said he clearly hates film music that has anything interesting to say, which I suspect is the same point you're making far more politely! The music in his films (not just the Batmans, which receive to my mind terrible scores but which are like Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia compared with those written by David Julyan) doesn't have anything to say about the characters, doesn't add any emotional depth, nor does it have any function in the narrative. Which is why I think it's pointless - there literally may as well be no score at all - but I suspect you will think it plays some sort of important role.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You say that Nolan clearly hates film music, which you don't know. He likes the score to be seamless with the sound design - a part which Zimmer actually clearly LOVES about working with him.

Oops, I forgot to comment on this. I didn't say Nolan clearly hates film music, I said he clearly hates film music that has anything interesting to say, which I suspect is the same point you're making far more politely! The music in his films (not just the Batmans, which receive to my mind terrible scores but which are like Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia compared with those written by David Julyan) doesn't have anything to say about the characters, doesn't add any emotional depth, nor does it have any function in the narrative. Which is why I think it's pointless - there literally may as well be no score at all - but I suspect you will think it plays some sort of important role.

I hope you're not suggesting that something like DAVID JULYAN's "prestige" is lacking emotional depth or adequate functions in the narrative. And what has a film like Lawrence of Arabia and the hollywood / era it represented with anything today or in fact Nolan's films? It's a wholly different style and it works flawlessly in what Nolan's doing; not everything must be symphonic in films in order to be interesting.
  6. Southall wrote

As for Da Vinci Code being an example of Zimmer trying to be smart... you had me with everything else, but then you had to go and say that! For me it wasn't just a bad score, but one which was truly idiotically misguided. I think he's written smart scores on a few occasions (Thin Red Line and Black Hawk Down most obvious to me) but certainly not that one!

Which agrees with what I said. I've said that Hans tried to do something really smart (hell, he seems to have researched Leonardo da Vinci for the score, my friend - an art historian - noticed he had a classic biography on his shelf during a video interview around the score was written!), but did something "idiotically misguided", as you said, but not because it didnt' fit on screen, but rather because he did it sooo dammmnnn serrrioussss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I hope you're not suggesting that something like DAVID JULYAN's "prestige" is lacking emotional depth or adequate functions in the narrative. And what has a film like Lawrence of Arabia and the hollywood / era it represented with anything today or in fact Nolan's films? It's a wholly different style and it works flawlessly in what Nolan's doing; not everything must be symphonic in films in order to be interesting.

I cited Lawrence of Arabia because it's the polar opposite of the Nolan scores, that's all; it adds to its film rather than just trying to stay out of the way. I guess a fan of the Nolan scores would counter me saying they don't add anything by saying they're simply a part of a wider whole, functioning in a way that scores hadn't used to. Don't see it myself, but I guess that's the argument.

And yes, I think the music The Prestige is awful.
  7. It's interesting that you love Black Hawk Down and hate Nolan's approach, because, outside of Still and Leave No Man Behind, the approach is exactly the same - the score is part of the whole sound design. Part of the whole success of the BHD score is that it works like it was part of the whole war soundscape in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's interesting that you love Black Hawk Down and hate Nolan's approach, because, outside of Still and Leave No Man Behind, the approach is exactly the same - the score is part of the whole sound design. Part of the whole success of the BHD score is that it works like it was part of the whole war soundscape in the movie.

You know, you're quite right. But it's INTERESTING music! And I think it DOES have something to say.
  8. The Dark Knight score does try to have something to say and when Joker is around it works very well as the addition to the anarchy commentary which Joker represents. I think my problem with parts of the score lies rather with the fact that it's very redundant to what's on screen - legal order, American law? What do we get? AMERICANA. Yeah, right.

And the end of the movie should have been left without the score. I'd rather keep Like a Dog Chasing Cars in than the A Dark Knight adagio, the score is pretty overblown to me there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Scribe wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: How to Train Your Dragon, John Powell

(%^#^&!@%($@#&!!@!&$!!!!!!!

Please elaborate.

Sorry it took me a while to get back on my feet after this. I was at my first listening of Dragon when I "wrote" that. It was just hard to regain use of my speech afterward. I was swept off my feet after just one listening, before most of the themes have even started sinking in. I can only imagine how much better this score is going to get with repeated listening! Wow. I hope Powell NEVER feels he's gotten to big or important for animated movies and action/comedies. I hope he follows in Goldsmith's footsteps and keeps accepting "fun" assignments until his very last score.

NP: Star Trek III, Horner

Alright, let's see what this expanded stuff has to offer...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    HeeroJF wrote
    Scribe wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: How to Train Your Dragon, John Powell

(%^#^&!@%($@#&!!@!&$!!!!!!!

Please elaborate.

Sorry it took me a while to get back on my feet after this. I was at my first listening of Dragon when I "wrote" that. It was just hard to regain use of my speech afterward. I was swept off my feet after just one listening, before most of the themes have even started sinking in. I can only imagine how much better this score is going to get with repeated listening! Wow. I hope Powell NEVER feels he's gotten to big or important for animated movies and action/comedies. I hope he follows in Goldsmith's footsteps and keeps accepting "fun" assignments until his very last score.

I was hoping that was a delighted stream of profanity, and not an enraged one!
    Before Airbender this was my favorite score of the year. And I'm pretty sure it's my favorite of all of Powell's animation scores. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!