• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    NP : HOWARD THE DUCK - John Barry

I love this score, it's varied and has some gorgeous themes, I only hope that it one day gets a CD release so I can throw away my Vinyl/CDR transfer.

Here's one of the tracks

YOU'RE THE DUCKIEST
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    re: Star Trek III
    Timmer wrote
    I'm happy to have the original album presentation, which does differ in a few tracks.

I've still yet to play it though, and I'm also with Martijn in that I'll NEVER play the track after the End Titles on disc 1 EVER AGAIN!

um, er, yeah. Let's forget that one was ever included. All 10 minutes of it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    Timmer wrote

The pressed CD bootleg with The Black Hole on the same CD has been a satisfying experience for me for years. The only thing that'd get me to buy a new one would be if it featured more music. As featured on my release it's a shamefully short score.

NP: The Alamo, Tiomkin

OMG!! I take it back! The first documented appearance of Horner's "Nockmaar's Motif" ISN'T in Marathon Man! It's on Track 5 of Disc 1 of The Alamo!! Wow! Didn't expect to find it there! This score is amazing. I saw the movie a few years ago but I didn't remember the music being this good.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Cinematic Sound - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I've never heard a violin play jazz before. Weird, but pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Strange yet highly entertaining score, huh?

BTW, what did you think of Speechless? I think it's absolutely wonderful and I hope more will find its charm after listening to the show! A great recording, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I have Speechless right next to me here, but haven't listened to it yet. Been a while since my last Shaiman score, I think this'll be lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

I love this score, it's varied and has some gorgeous themes, I only hope that it one day gets a CD release so I can throw away my Vinyl/CDR transfer.

Here's one of the tracks

YOU'RE THE DUCKIEST

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, what did you think of Speechless? I think it's absolutely wonderful and I hope more will find its charm after listening to the show! A great recording, too!

I thought it was lovely. I like most of Shaiman's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: L'avventuriero, Morricone

First listen. Will the music live up to the expectations provided by the dashing artwork, or is this going to turn into another Treasure of the Four Crowns? So far it shows promise. But it's a long score and has room to grow. Here's hoping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    So yes, it's definitely not a swashbuckler score... But it certainly does have good stuff! I just got through the track "Peirol forza il blocco". WOW! 7 minutes if intense Morricone action music!! Never thought I'd hear that. Not to this extent at least. So if you want a proper pirate score, stick to CutThroat Island, but if you want to add a new touch to your Morricone collection, pick this up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Absolutely love this man's music; if he's anyting like the music he writes, he must be the most well-spirited, happy, full of romance and love, energetic human being out there biggrin

I never got why so many people write his music off as plain 'cheesy'; i think he writes some very catchy, beautiful melodies, especially in THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, or PATCH ADAMS.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    For many, catchy beautiful melodies ARE cheesy. If your taste in film music is restricted to epics in the scope of LotR or Avatar, then of course you'll think a superb piece like Dave is nothing but "cheesy."

I happen to like all types, depending on my mood. Only genre I'm a little less forgiving on is horror music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    For many, catchy beautiful melodies ARE cheesy. If your taste in film music is restricted to epics in the scope of LotR or Avatar, then of course you'll think a superb piece like Dave is nothing but "cheesy."

Living with one's such self must be hell.

Well, i never liked single/closed-minded people anyway wink

I happen to like all types, depending on my mood. Only genre I'm a little less forgiving on is horror music.

Good man but you're missing out on horror genre; there's some absolute jaw-dropping material in that genre, the works of Mister Herrmann, Young and Goldsmith come to mind at once, and they're just an example.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. NP: 'Old Souls' from INCEPTION (Zimmer)

This is a great track.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Old Souls' from INCEPTION (Zimmer)

This is a great track.

beer beer beer

so is "waiting for a train"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Absolutely love this man's music; if he's anyting like the music he writes, he must be the most well-spirited, happy, full of romance and love, energetic human being out there biggrin

I never got why so many people write his music off as plain 'cheesy'; i think he writes some very catchy, beautiful melodies, especially in THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, or PATCH ADAMS.

Patch Adams is an awful awful score (on album it might be a different story, though I've not built up the courage to try it) . But I do like Shaiman... perhaps more than his music.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Strange yet highly entertaining score, huh?

-Erik-

I was really glad to hear Speechless, especially after James' review. It was a lot of fun. Not noble like American President, not quite a big and brassy as Patch Adams (which like Steven was saying was terrible in the film, but you should try it on it's own - it's excellent!), but this score sounds like Shaiman had a blast writing it. It's fun, happy music. Thanks for the shows, Erik. I've just finished the 3 hours of tribute to Michael Kamen. I think I listened to that back when he died, but it was really great to hear it again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Time for something scary ( no, not Jordi in a tu tu )

NP : HELLRAISER - Christopher Young

Perfect late listening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

The pressed CD bootleg with The Black Hole on the same CD has been a satisfying experience for me for years. The only thing that'd get me to buy a new one would be if it featured more music. As featured on my release it's a shamefully short score.

NP: The Alamo, Tiomkin

OMG!! I take it back! The first documented appearance of Horner's "Nockmaar's Motif" ISN'T in Marathon Man! It's on Track 5 of Disc 1 of The Alamo!! Wow! Didn't expect to find it there! This score is amazing. I saw the movie a few years ago but I didn't remember the music being this good.

You're right! It does pop it's head up there briefly.

No doubt you are aware that the very, very first documented appearance of Horner's "Nockmaar's Motif" is in fact found strongly in Rachmaninoff's first symphony. It's "The Danger Motive" symphony!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Good man but you're missing out on horror genre; there's some absolute jaw-dropping material in that genre, the works of Mister Herrmann, Young and Goldsmith come to mind at once, and they're just an example.

Oh no, I'm not missing out! The fact that I appreciate it less just makes me try HARDER at it! I keep buying them and listening to them in hopes that I'll finally dig it. And of course, like all genres there are shining stars that are destined to be amazing no matter what genre you're into. Herrmann's stuff is prime example, so's Christopher Young's and a good chunk of Richard Band, without even mentioning the masterpiece that is Evil Dead. I just can't take too much more of Isham's and Revell's attempts...

NP: Una pistola per Ringo/Il ritorno di Ringo, Morricone

Seems like a typical Morricone score. Good recurring theme, strong ambiance music, etc. The "drama" section at the end is strange. Much more typical of an anime-related CD than Italian cinema. But those 35 minutes are easy to ignore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Atham wrote
    No doubt you are aware that the very, very first documented appearance of Horner's "Nockmaar's Motif" is in fact found strongly in Rachmaninoff's first symphony. It's "The Danger Motive" symphony!

Really! I'm not sure that I knew that. I listened to some Rachmaninoff, but perhaps not that one. I guess I'd remember! Well that's interesting!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Time for something scary ( no, not Jordi in a tu tu )

NP : HELLRAISER - Christopher Young

Perfect late listening.

And staying on a similar theme...

NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Williams goes Herrmann and it's a deliciously dark delight, one of my all time favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Dead Space - Jason Graves

I'm late on discovering this one but ...WOW!!!
    This is brutal! Brilliant ostinatos action. Like Goldsmith action meets Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring meets Prokofiev's 2nd Symphony meets Shearmur's Reign Of Fire.
    Great soundscape if you're in the mood for dark music richly orchestrated and performed by large orchestra.
    I'm stunned! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited
    NP: Henri 4, Zimmer & some bloke

I'm finally taking this one for a spin. I think it has tremendous potential. Many different shapes and paces, hopefully those melodies will turn into something I can sink my teeth into after more listenings. I'm just curious about the insert: the breakdown of the tracks has Jackman's name listed in front of just about every one? And Zimmer's name is not listed at all? I don't get it, did Zimmer co-write this score or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    HeeroJF wrote
    I don't get it, did Zimmer co-write this score or not?

That would depend on the definition of "co-write". And also upon the definition of "Zimmer." wink

ok, not really the second part.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    HeeroJF wrote

I'm finally taking this one for a spin. I think it has tremendous potential. Many different shapes and paces, hopefully those melodies will turn into something I can sink my teeth into after more listenings. I'm just curious about the insert: the breakdown of the tracks has Jackman's name listed in front of just about every one? And Zimmer's name is not listed at all? I don't get it, did Zimmer co-write this score or not?

No. He didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Should I feel cheated about the "Composed by..." credit, large as day, on the front cover?? How can they legally write that if he didn't contribute?

NP: The Alamo, disc 2
    Just as brilliant, if not more, than Disc 1 listened today. I adore the hispanic touches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    HeeroJF wrote
    Should I feel cheated about the "Composed by..." credit, large as day, on the front cover?? How can they legally write that if he didn't contribute?

It's a marketing thing. Not a big deal, Hans didn't write anything for The Whole Wide World and they had his name on it. And it's not like he claimed any responsibility for it either.

But I do remember reading something about him contributing the Destiny theme....
  4. It is legal, in fact he IS credited for legal reasons (he signed the contract)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

It's a marketing thing. Not a big deal, Hans didn't write anything for The Whole Wide World and they had his name on it. And it's not like he claimed any responsibility for it either.

No credit at all, apart from having "Music by Hans Zimmer" on it.

It's all very strange. I'm surprised it's legal, but I guess nobody is particularly likely to sue.