• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    I love The Goonies and Mars Attacks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Symphonic Shades - Chris Huelsbeck

One of the finest orchestral albums I own! Here's info about the concert and the album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Tailor of Panama - Shaun Davey

An addictive Latin flavoured spy thriller of a score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMKkvd18GNU

Check it out!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've been singing that praises of that score for some time now! Superb music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Symphonic Shades - Chris Huelsbeck

One of the finest orchestral albums I own! Here's info about the concert and the album!

-Erik-

Great album indeed!

I love the Google translation of Huelsbeck's mini bio on that website:

If you mention his name, many fans come game music in a state of advanced rapture
  1. That's exactly what happens to me everytime I hear his name mentioned!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010 edited
    NP:The Island (Jablonsky)

I posted this one in other thread :P

this is what Inception score had to be . Instead the dated (still mindblowing, but dated) Vangelis-like synths from inception , Jablonsky new generation of sounds and electronics are mindblowing and more fresh and contemporany.

Ironically was Zimmer who started this sound in M:I2.

A really underrated score!!!!
  2. So I like the latest Zimmer score, and Jordi does his usual dance of prevaricating over love and hate. But of course we know the dance is a ruse, an attempt to keep us from deducing that he is Zimmer's pet hen, through both the good and the genuinely bad. His opinion will come home to roost, like all good fowl. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    So I like the latest Zimmer score, and Jordi does his usual dance of prevaricating over love and hate. But of course we know the dance is a ruse, an attempt to keep us from deducing that he is Zimmer's pet hen, through both the good and the genuinely bad. His opinion will come home to roost, like all good fowl. wink

FACT! applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans would be the first to agree with you, James, but I think it's more of a legal issue. He is contractually obliged to have his name on the score. I remember the fight Hans had over The Rock - he didn't want a credit, but he was pushed.

Same with "Chicago Joe and the showgirl"; Zimmer did none, but was credited for legal reasons, with Shirley Walker scoring it.

And, I found about five (so far) scores where Graeme Revell wrote nothing at all (or did a theme), and recieved the credit.

I'm sure this happens far more than we know.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    So I like the latest Zimmer score, and Jordi does his usual dance of prevaricating over love and hate. But of course we know the dance is a ruse, an attempt to keep us from deducing that he is Zimmer's pet hen, through both the good and the genuinely bad. His opinion will come home to roost, like all good fowl. wink

I don't hate it. far from it. But I can't love it either.

"Dream within a dream" , "old souls" and "mombasa" being my favourite tracks seems from 3 diferent scores. no coherency!

If only the whole score had the sound and orchestrations of "radical notion" and of "on simple idea"....it could be more "personal" , coherent and mindblowing.

By the way..."paradox" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PS: Inception is what Zimmer could have been composed for minority report tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ransom - James Horner

I LOVE James Horner's urban sound. This score is derivative as all hell (only 12-14 days to work on the score) but what a great listen! There are hints of Commando, Sneakers, The Pelican Brief, and James Newton Howard's The Fugitive. "A Two Million Dollar Bounty" is a superb track... especially those crashing piano chords! A great recording by Shawn Murphy and that out of place triumphant fanfare at the end of the end title cue great!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ransom - James Horner

I LOVE James Horner's urban sound. This score is derivative as all hell (only 12-14 days to work on the score) but what a great listen! There are hints of Commando, Sneakers, The Pelican Brief, and James Newton Howard's The Fugitive. "A Two Million Dollar Bounty" is a superb track... especially those crashing piano chords! A great recording by Shawn Murphy and that out of place triumphant fanfare at the end of the end title cue great!

-Erik-

As a "why so serious" fan Did you listen Inception yet ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not yet. I look at the name Hans Zimmer on a CD and my stomach begins to churn! I'd rather listen to something like... Michael Giacchino's Camden 2000 or John Coragliano's Revolution which is what I'm doing right now. shocked The first minute of Revolution blows away anything Zimmer has ever attempted to write during his career! Holy shit... now this is incredible music! Here are my previous thoughts on this score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Not yet. I look at the name Hans Zimmer on a CD and my stomach begins to churn! I'd rather listen to something like... Michael Giacchino's Camden 2000 or John Coragliano's Revolution which is what I'm doing right now. shocked The first minute of Revolution blows away anything Zimmer has ever attempted to write during his career! Holy shit... now this is incredible music!

-Erik-

Well done, because Inception will make you vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi shut up.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi shut up.

It doesn't have rich orchestrations, it doesn't have a mindblowing sound design, it doesn't have anything.

Of couse I will love it after to watch the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

Superb! One of Powell's best scores!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Koko Flanel - Dirk Brossé

A charming score to a charming film ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The A-Team - Alan Silvestri

Good score. I saw the movie last night (fun action flick), and while the score was undermixed, the action bits were very well done. Listening it again today and I found myself enjoying it so much more. Definitely one of the best action score that Silvestri had done in the last couple years. His main theme isn't great but it's appropriately heroic and styled. His ethnic and pop material could use a bit more polish, but still effective nonetheless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi shut up.

It doesn't have rich orchestrations, it doesn't have a mindblowing sound design, it doesn't have anything.

Tell us more Jordi, I don't think we've heard enough from you talking about Inception.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi shut up.

Tell us more Jordi, I don't think we've heard enough from you talking about Inception.

I hope I will talk more about this score after watching the movie.

If I don't, this score will be a real failure to me. Even the dissapointment of Batman Begins, at least this one had an interesting sound and a good themes on it. the same goes for the Dark Knight. If Inception doesn't improve after watching the movie it could be my biggest disapointment with a Zimmer score.

Seriously, the Vangelis-like synth from the longest tracks really take me out of the listening experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi shut up.

If I don't, this score will be a real failure to me. Even the dissapointment of Batman Begins, at least this one had an interesting sound and a good themes on it. the same goes for the Dark Knight. If Inception doesn't improve after watching the movie it could be my biggest disapointment with a Zimmer score.

Seriously, the Vangelis-like synth from the longest tracks really take me out of the listening experience.

You're absolutely right Jordi, KRULL IS a fantastic score!
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi shut up.

I got the cure for your disappointment ills: DROP ZIMMER ALLTOGETHER. Now, start with about a dozen Elmer Bernstein scores and work your way around other composers and scores from at LEAST 25 or more years ago. Problem solved.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

KRULL IS a fantastic score!

Yes, it is! but I can't enjoy Horner's sacharine chorus and melodies...not anymore.
  5. Krull....sacharine?
  6. NP - Cinematic Sound - Elmer Bernstein show, hour 2. Looking forward to hearing Heavy Metal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk

The version of "Taarna's Theme" I play was recorded by The City of Prague Philharmonic. Great rendition by the way.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    Krull....sacharine?

There are various Horner scores which could quite rightly be called saccharin (or even sacharine) but Krull isn't one which would quickly spring to mind!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    punk

The version of "Taarna's Theme" I play was recorded by The City of Prague Philharmonic. Great rendition by the way.

-Erik-

One of the all time greatest themes!