• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    NP : PULP FICTION - Various

Superb, ecclectic mix cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Inception - Hans Zimmer

franz_conrad, all is forgiven.
  1. Which means?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Southall wrote
    Inception - Hans Zimmer

franz_conrad, all is forgiven.

bow
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Can somebody explain it to me? Does he like it OR not? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I bought it on Franz's recommendation but then had second thoughts after reading all the negative comments everywhere. But I've listened twice already and really enjoy it. I'm not sure a Zimmer score has made an instantly positive impression like this on me in quite a few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    I bought it on Franz's recommendation but then had second thoughts after reading all the negative comments everywhere. But I've listened twice already and really enjoy it. I'm not sure a Zimmer score has made an instantly positive impression like this on me in quite a few years.

rolleyes
  4. Southall wrote

Same here, actually. OK, no. I always start with very positive impression (Admittedly, I am a Zimmer fanboy, to be honest. But sometimes (King Arthur) then comes the real deal.

When it comes to Inception, I like to think that it's a score that has to be listened in full (to compare with somebody who is of course a much better COMPOSER in almost all means, I'd liken this idea to what I have with Alexandre Desplat, of course you have Wong Chia Chi's theme and all, but his scores are of the kind you have to listen to in full, not just a collection of themes!), how it builds its atmosphere.

I don't agree with the coherency issues Jordi says it has, I think it's one of Hans's most coherent works in years. And actually a very well thought-out one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't agree with the coherency issues Jordi says it has, I think it's one of Hans's most coherent works in years. And actually a very well thought-out one.

No, I don't see any coherency issues at all. As an album it plays very well indeed - there's a sense that there was a real plan there. OK, so there are no real themes as such (I wasn't expecting any) and much sounds rather familiar (all the interviews with Zimmer in the build-up to this with his talking about going places he'd never gone before seem about as sensible as the similar ones Horner did for Avatar!) but this is a work of intelligent construction and I think there will be plenty there to explore over the coming listens. I found it to be an exhilirating album.
  5. And you possibly totally dig the Barry influences? smile I think it's Dream within a Dream which has a VERY James Bond feel in the dramatic strings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010 edited
    i don't think there is very much to explore in the album realease. All seems too simplistic to me.
  6. It's texture-based and minimalistic, Jordi. The SOUND is to be explored. Not themes, not motifs, just the general soundscape. How it's all constructed. It IS a construction.
  7. The Vangelis/Barry intersection is what makes it for me, but I like most of it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Same here. Exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I was totally won over by Inception since my first listen. Love it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010 edited
    NP: Inception - Hans Zimmer

I'm on my 5th-6th listen? and I'm still enjoying this. As an album, it flows so much better than previous Zimmer scores for Nolan films. Very coherent in term of thematic and motivic unity and in soundscape construction. The John Barry styling feels less like an homage and more of an organic outgrowth of Zimmer recent dive into a sparse simplicity of orchestration. And you can hear the actual orchestra, which makes it very jarring to me when a synth orchestra appears in the latter tracks of the album, like "Waiting for a Train", for example. Anyway, really good album. Probably is an excellent score as well, I hope.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

rolleyes

That's no way to react to KRULL Jordi, c'mon, you know it's BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    The Vangelis/Barry intersection is what makes it for me, but I like most of it.

-nods head- beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's texture-based and minimalistic, Jordi. The SOUND is to be explored. Not themes, not motifs, just the general soundscape. How it's all constructed. It IS a construction.

I know that! In fact I find good themes on it! But I don't find orchestrally so interesting than a Goldenthal and the textures not so interesting or mindblowing as Angels and demons (I know are diferent films and composers, it was just 2 examples).

I listen once and i find it very previsible. And the Vangelis style is too obvious!!!

By the way, i'm going to ubeda....listening....you know.....:P
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    (They have the CD on sale here. I nearly bought it for you yesterday.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

All the negative comments? You should have just listened to franz and me wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Although I'm not really a big fan of scores of this genre, Inception has indeed grown on me a lot. I think the really remarkable thing is that, unlike the Batman scores, there isn't any track here which drags on or is there without a purpose. Even in the longest track, Waiting For A Train, I noticed upon more listenings quite interesting layers and well-implemented synth chords, it certainly helps the album smoothly flow to the end. Also the recording seems to be fantastic, for once the bass levels are properly adjusted and strings and brass get prominence. Highlights for me are Dream Is Collapsing, Mombasa and Time. Great effort by HZ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    the problem is why zimmer needs to copy vangelis???too obvious...too dated!!
    i want collapsing dreams and dream wthin sound the whole score!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote

Because it's his job. He was probably asked to do it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Although I'm not really a big fan of scores of this genre, Inception has indeed grown on me a lot. I think the really remarkable thing is that, unlike the Batman scores, there isn't any track here which drags on or is there without a purpose. Even in the longest track, Waiting For A Train, I noticed upon more listenings quite interesting layers and well-implemented synth chords, it certainly helps the album smoothly flow to the end. Also the recording seems to be fantastic, for once the bass levels are properly adjusted and strings and brass get prominence. Highlights for me are Dream Is Collapsing, Mombasa and Time. Great effort by HZ.

Time is one of the greatest tracks i've heard this year.

plindboe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Peter smile

He didn't copy Vangelis; Vangelis is everywhere in this genre; when you touch a synth to write synth music, Vangelis is the area's heritage as one of the pioneers of the genre naturally. Inception is 100% Zimmer; modern, unique and trademarked his sound; open your ears.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never known anyone to talk out of their arse quite so much as Jordi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Medal of Honor : The Definitive Collection - Michael Giacchino

A kick-ass compilation of some of the best MoH music !
    Play it LOUD ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    How dare Zimmer copy Max Steiner and include an orchestra in Inception!! angry angry He should have gone the route of postmodern sound design and used plastic spoons banging on a table instead!! Where's the creativity? The inspiration? The originality?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Time is one of the greatest tracks i've heard this year.

plindboe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Peter smile

He didn't copy Vangelis; Vangelis is everywhere in this genre; when you touch a synth to write synth music, Vangelis is the area's heritage as one of the pioneers of the genre naturally. Inception is 100% Zimmer; modern, unique and trademarked his sound; open your ears.

While I don't think there is a fully-fledged rip-off in a score, it must be noticed that parts of the score ARE a homage to Blade Runner when it comes to textural choices (the melodic elements are more John Barry here)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Tailor of Panama Shaun Davey

Muchas gracias to Kevin and Erik for the recommendation. I LOVE this kind of music. cool