• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You say that Nolan clearly hates film music, which you don't know. He likes the score to be seamless with the sound design - a part which Zimmer actually clearly LOVES about working with him.

Oops, I forgot to comment on this. I didn't say Nolan clearly hates film music, I said he clearly hates film music that has anything interesting to say, which I suspect is the same point you're making far more politely! The music in his films (not just the Batmans, which receive to my mind terrible scores but which are like Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia compared with those written by David Julyan) doesn't have anything to say about the characters, doesn't add any emotional depth, nor does it have any function in the narrative. Which is why I think it's pointless - there literally may as well be no score at all - but I suspect you will think it plays some sort of important role.

I hope you're not suggesting that something like DAVID JULYAN's "prestige" is lacking emotional depth or adequate functions in the narrative. And what has a film like Lawrence of Arabia and the hollywood / era it represented with anything today or in fact Nolan's films? It's a wholly different style and it works flawlessly in what Nolan's doing; not everything must be symphonic in films in order to be interesting.

It's certainly lacking musical depth, if that counts for anything. In the history of musical drones, Julyan's don't add anything new to the genre.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010 edited
    (in regard to Dragon)

Scribe wrote
    I was hoping that was a delighted stream of profanity, and not an enraged one!
    Before Airbender this was my favorite score of the year. And I'm pretty sure it's my favorite of all of Powell's animation scores. smile

Wow, that's saying a lot. I don't know yet if it'll outclass Horton or Ice Age 3 in my book but there's definitely hope. It's got SUCH potential. Powell going celtic is a neat touch. Reminds me of Just Visiting but so much more mature and refined.

NP: Robocop, Poledouris

Can I PLEASE stop buying this score? I understand having to buy Star Wars and Superman in tons of different formats and editions within the span of a lifetime, but Rocobop?? It's a terrific score and all, but having to buy it twice in the last year alone? Come on! This new edition truly feels like the definitive one though. It's not disappointing so far.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    NP: Il giudice e il suo boia, Morricone

I don't get this! I expected a terrible gallio gritty suspenseful score. How can a CD with one of the bloodiest most graphic cover picture I've ever seen have such LOVELY music?? This is Morricone at times dishing out the classic Once-Upon-a-Time lyricism, and at times throwing some of his silly 60s pop style... but the point is the whole thing is CHARMING! There hasn't been a single minor-key melody so far, I swear. I'd LOVE to see this movie, to understand how this cute music can match these gory images.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. NP: Inception (zimmer)

Streaming at musicme. Even at a very crappy stream, I like what I'm hearing so far. Good energy, texture. Zimmer's not all bad.
    http://www.musicme.com/#/Hans-Zimmer/albums/Inception-(Music-From-The-Motion-Picture)-0093624965008.html

There's a moody theme that appears a couple of times that feels halfway between a Barry love theme for the Bond films (progressions) and Vangelis's Blade Runner (texture). Nice idea.
    Not so keen on the score's single all out action track, 'Mombasa'. A bit dull.
    'Time' returns us to 'Journey to the Line' style progressions with a bit of a beat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Beyond Rangoon (Zimmer)

I saw the signed cover and I coudln't resist.

One of the most beautiful themes he has ever composed. A really mindblowing and powerful score.

In my Zimmer top 5.

I'd say two of the most beautiful themes he has ever composed. A really mindblowing and powerful score.

My favorite Zimmy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    HeeroJF wrote

NP: Star Trek III, Horner

Alright, let's see what this expanded stuff has to offer...

Well, Heero? What did you think?

NP The Horsemen - James Horner

Far from original. But totally glorious! The old Horner style I adore! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Inception (zimmer)

Streaming at musicme. Even at a very crappy stream, I like what I'm hearing so far. Good energy, texture. Zimmer's not all bad.
    http://www.musicme.com/#/Hans-Zimmer/albums/Inception-(Music-From-The-Motion-Picture)-0093624965008.html

There's a moody theme that appears a couple of times that feels halfway between a Barry love theme for the Bond films (progressions) and Vangelis's Blade Runner (texture). Nice idea.
    'Time' returns us to 'Journey to the Line' style progressions with a bit of a beat.

I love what i hear too; i am really into this new direction the serious Zimmer sound seems to be taking from batman begins onwards.

n.p. GEORGES DELERUE - agnes of God

Whatever one might try to say about this masterpiece will not be doing it justice.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was over, what a bliss of a score.

Changed to something completely different, with HANS ZIMMER's Batman begins.

Getting in the mood for Inception. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

Whatever one might try to say about this masterpiece will not be doing it justice.

It's the single best score ever composed. It puts Beethoven to shame. Its perfection is so beyond perfect that to call it perfect would be an insult of the highest order. The sheer epicness defies all of known science and philosophy. It's a composition one would only expect from an all-powerful god.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Still, no good enough wink And Beethoven didn't composer scores heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's the single best score ever composed. It puts Beethoven to shame. Its perfection is so beyond perfect that to call it perfect would be an insult of the highest order. The sheer epicness defies all of known science and philosophy. It's a composition one would only expect from an all-powerful god.

You forgot to mention it also relieves world hunger and cures the common cold!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You forgot to mention it also relieves world hunger and cures the common cold!

You forgot to mention it breathes underwater and can tunnel to the center of the Earth.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It multiplied fish and changed water into wine, I hear!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And it's a hot juicy babe too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    And it's a hot juicy babe too.

lol applause biggrin
    I bow to The Master.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Inception (Hans Zimmer)

On youtube the whole thing! I know it's not the best way to listen it...but I'm a fanboy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhoHQifvItk

"old souls" is fucking mind blowing. It's almost a longer version of Arnold's "night at the opera". And I love it!!!! This vangelis synths....it's more like an adagio than percusive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Inception (zimmer)

On youtube the whole thing! I know it's not the best way to listen it...but I'm a fanboy!

By the power of Koko, you are!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'Old Souls'

It is 'mind blowing', mind blowingly dull.

Arnold FTW
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Inception (Hans Zimmer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhoHQifvItk

"old souls" is fucking mind blowing. It's almost a longer version of Arnold's "night at the opera". And I love it!!!! This vangelis synths....it's more like an adagio than percusive.

Ok. I have heard the whole score. it's what we expected. Powerful, dark, Atmohsperic, synthetic... It's not an action score, it's

Electric guitars and piano plays a minor role, When both instruments appears are really a welcome, but the rest is really inspired use of electronics. Synths that are played as synths, not emulating any instrument. That makes a really mindblowing sound (even if some parts could soun really generic)

Edit piaf so mentioned use, is short and not so very well blended. But it's fun.

" A dark Knight" has a new contender as my favourite "industrial-Urban" piece / score. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Played & Playing this evening: Kikujiro & Okuribito (Departures) - Joe Hisaishi

Two of most played scores from my library. I don't post here every time though! wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Inception (zimmer)

By the power of Koko, you are!

lol
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. I love the Barry-Vangelis mix at times.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I love the Barry-Vangelis mix at times.

Yeap. me too. I find a really captiving, touching anb mind blowing score.

How I said, "night at the opera" from Quantum of Solace it's a great influence in this score, wich it's ok, because a lot of critics compares some parts of this movie with a Bond movie.

"old souls" and "dream within a dream " are specially impressive.

Oh..."mombassa" the only action track, reminds me so much to M.I 2's Hijack and BHD's Syncrothone. I love this sound too!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Inception (zimmer)

I love what i hear too; i am really into this new direction the serious Zimmer sound seems to be taking from batman begins onwards.

I think it's a fair bit better than BATMAN BEGINS. You can still hear bits of six other scores he's done in BB, not so here.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Indochine - Patrick Doyle

My favourite Doyle score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. I think Indochine is a good score. It's not my favorite of his, but it's pretty high on the list. I should probably give it another spin. I remember it being good but not great. I also remember a catchy tango somewhere near the end...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

Lovely score but painfully short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    It multiplied fish and changed water into wine, I hear!

Also makes julienne fries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Atham wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Star Trek III, Horner

Alright, let's see what this expanded stuff has to offer...

Well, Heero? What did you think?

For me it was never a matter of "should it have been released" or not. I always think that we deserve to know what a composer did on the entirety of a project. It's not fair to call a score a masterpiece just based on a few highlights. A true masterpiece is something that can hold its high standards throughout the entire run of the score. That's why I think C&C releases are important.

As for the end result of this one: well of course these extra Horner tracks are great. They flow with the rest of the score seamlessly and I think I'll enjoy them more and more as I hear them again.

The 2nd disc, however, is a complete ripoff. I despise when Intrada makes uses these "Original Album Tracks" as an excuse to sell a second CD when those tracks are no different whatsoever to their analogous brethren on the other disc. I'm used to this by Intrada, it's now just a bit upsetting to see FSM do it, too. The only reason Disc 2 exists, as far as I'm concerned is the pop remix of the main theme. I always loved that as a guilty pleasure. They should've put that on Disc 1 and cancelled Disc 2 altogether.

NP: Marathon Man, Michael Small

As far as I know, this is the first documented use of Horner's "Nockmaar" motif! Before Bernstein used it, before even Horner himself made it his own! I picked it out as I watched the movie years ago. It is to my GREAT satisfaction that this score finally exists on CD. Sure it's dark and disturbing, but still enjoyable and historically important.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm happy to have the original album presentation, which does differ in a few tracks.

I've still yet to play it though, and I'm also with Martijn in that I'll NEVER play the track after the End Titles on disc 1 EVER AGAIN!