• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Absolutely powerful, emotional stuff. The best lost score release, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I agree

'Closure' cry cry
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indeed, I think that is even better than Moving On.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    NP Lost - The Last Episodes (Michael Giacchino)

SUPERB stuff.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You are strange. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fuck Jordi what's wrong with you mate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    Four more scores today. I'm starting with a bang; Alan Silvestri's epic and brilliant score to Judge Dredd. I will then move onto Philippe Rombi's outstanding Joyeux Noël. I'll then move onto Howard Shore's underrated crime-thiller score to The Score. One of the finest jazz film scores I've heard! I will end the work day with Christopher Young's suspense score to Murder at 1600. It's been a while since I've spun that one and can't remember what it sounds like!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All excellent choices! Congrats man beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think if I had to make a list of my 5 favorite all time melodies, the one from Joyeux Noël would be on it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hold the presses! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows has arrived! Now listening! Yes, I'm serious!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Hold the presses! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows as arrived! Now listening! Yes, I'm serious!

-Erik-

I look forward to hearing what you think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm going to do my best to get this on my show ASAP!

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Hold the presses! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows has arrived! Now listening! Yes, I'm serious!

-Erik-

No way! You're so lucky!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, it's a 128k digital promo. It will have to do but will sound like hell on my radio show. I'm trying to get a higher bit rate promo if not then I will just have to present what I have. I'm working on a new THIS JUST IN! program right now. Trying to get the show uploaded by tomorrow for you all to sample!

So far the score has that "magical" Harry Potter sound but nothing has stood out as of yet. Williams' Potter theme makes it's first appearance in Polyjuice Potion right at the end of the cue. Now onto Sky Battle... come on Desplat... BLOW ME AWAY!!! Ummm... not bad.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Well, it's a 128k digital promo. It will have to do but will sound like hell on my radio show. I'm trying to get a higher bit rate promo if not then I will just have to present what I have. I'm working on a new THIS JUST IN! program right now. Trying to get the show uploaded by tomorrow for you all to sample!

So far the score has that "magical" Harry Potter sound but nothing has stood out as of yet. Williams' Potter theme makes it's first appearance in Polyjuice Potion right at the end of the cue. Now onto Sky Battle... come on Desplat... BLOW ME AWAY!!! Ummm... not bad.

-Erik-

Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So far this new Potter score is a lot of atmosphere, orchestral color, rhythms and repeating figures. I can't say it's any better than Hooper's output actually. I'm 16 tracks in...

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    So far this new Potter score is a lot of atmosphere, orchestral color, rhythms and repeating figures. I can't say it's any better than Hooper's output actually. I'm 16 tracks in...

-Erik-

Well. It depends in how it works in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    True. I found that Hooper's first score was serviceable for Order of the Phoenix and he came up with some genuinely interesting themes but Half Blood Prince was a dud!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    True. I found that Hooper's first score was serviceable for Order of the Phoenix and he came up with some genuinely interesting themes but Half Blood Prince was a dud!

-Erik-

Half Blood Prince was all about intimacy, and Hooper's music made thoses scenes. Like the scenes with Hermione crying, Slughorn's remember of Lily. The last 20 minutes gets all epic, especially the Journey To The Cave scene, and In Noctem scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    When I think of epic "Dueling the Basilisk" "Buckbeak's Flight" "The Black Lake" and "Golden Egg" come to mind... "Journey To The Cave" is pretty nondescript. "In Noctem" is most definitely NOT epic.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    In the context of the film, Hooper's climactic cues are very good at creating a sense of "epic." Music doesn't have to be screaming "this is important!" to effectively create that feeling....even though it's quite fun for us when it does. As enjoyable as Williams' and Doyle's scores are as standalone listening experiences, I think Hooper and Yates did a better job of marrying music and images than in any of the previous films.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    When I think of epic "Dueling the Basilisk" "Buckbeak's Flight" "The Black Lake" and "Golden Egg" come to mind... "Journey To The Cave" is pretty nondescript. "In Noctem" is most definitely NOT epic.

-Erik-

Well. Not exactly epic, but it's good. The In Noctem cue in the deleted scene it's very effective. The only thing that really bothers me of Hooper's scores is the few thematic material he has written. There was several characters who needed a theme.

Fudge, Luna Lovegood, Bellatrix, Greyback, Slughorn. I loved the themes for Umbridge, Malfoy, Mr. Weasley (the clarinet and bassoon melody in Ministry Of Magic), Dumbledore, and Voldemort. But I think that more thematic material was neccesary for the story.
  7. Scribe wrote
    In the context of the film, Hooper's climactic cues are very good at creating a sense of "epic." Music doesn't have to be screaming "this is important!" to effectively create that feeling....even though it's quite fun for us when it does. As enjoyable as Williams' and Doyle's scores are as standalone listening experiences, I think Hooper and Yates did a better job of marrying music and images than in any of the previous films.

Exactly. And yes, it's different of Williams's Potter scores, but that's because the story isn't the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Yeah... I disagree with this completely. The best marriage of music and film was in both Azkaban and Goblet. "Beakbeask's Flight" for instance is probably the highlight of the series as heard in the film and as a stand alone listen.

Yates and Hooper's collaboration was average at best and the last film was an epic fail. The film plodded along and the score was highly uninteresting. Hooper had nothing to say musically. And even when Hooper was given an opportunity to really let loose (the wand battle between Voldermort and Dumbledore - or was it Harry and Voldermart... in an case there was this great swashbuckling wand fight that demanded for something exciting) and Hooper really had no clue what to do with that scene.

I understand that these are different films and are getting progressively darker but the last two films... especially the last... haven't lived up the the first four scores in the series. And I'm finding very little to like about Desplat's effort either.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't think "exciting" music is quite appropriate for fight scenes where the lives of characters we care about are at stake. Save that kind of music for stories like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Cutthroat Island where the vast majority of viewers aren't emotionally invested in the characters, we just want to see a show and the music is a part of that. Harry Potter is something else, a story about friendship in dark and dangerous times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... Deathly Hollows in done... mercifully... time to get back to Rombi. Aaaaaaah, that's better! Hymne Des Fraternises... GORGEOUS!

-Erik-
  8. Scribe wrote
    I don't think "exciting" music is quite appropriate for fight scenes where the lives of characters we care about are at stake. Save that kind of music for stories like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Cutthroat Island where the vast majority of viewers aren't emotionally invested in the characters, we just want to see a show and the music is a part of that. Harry Potter is something else, a story about friendship in dark and dangerous times.

Exactly!
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... Deathly Hollows in done... mercifully... time to get back to Rombi. Aaaaaaah, that's better! Hymne Des Fraternises... GORGEOUS!

-Erik-

So... what about the use of piano and chorus in the score? And the Lovegood's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fuck Jordi what's wrong with you mate.

Nothing. It's a matter of taste. But I think Giacchino's tricks for LOST was out of bullets since the four season. Themes?? great. A lot of great themes. orchestrations? on autopilot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I'm not sure which Star Wars film you are watching... prequels probably... but I'm most definitely invested emotionally in the characters from the original trilogy. Just listen to The Duel from Empire; a scene were our main character's lives are in danger. In Williams cue (after the Luke and Vader duel music) we move to the pursuit of Boba Fett who is transporting Han in Carbonite to the Slave One. In Williams cue there is a scene of danger, excitement, and emotions. In the music you can feel the excitement of the gun fight, the danger of the situation as the storm troopers close in and Leia's heart break as she watches the Slave One fly away with her true love. Williams' helps propel that scene forward. That's only one example from Williams great trilogy of scores!

As for Indiana Jones... don't even get me started! :whip:

Harry Potter is no different than any of those film. It's a fantasy adventure film. Yes, there are human emotions involved and intimate scenes as well but Star Wars has them, Indiana Jones has them and even CutThroat Island has them.

-Erik-