• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Debney's Predators is unlistenable on CD.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a very bad CD because it's far too long, but I think it could quite easily have been assembled into a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's non-thematic and all over the place; i imagine it's fitting the movie, which i don't plan to watch anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010 edited
    None themeatic?!?!?! In a Predator score?!?!? That's hilarious! There are themes and motifs all OVER the place, D, even if they belong to Silvestri.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bits here and there, lots of standard suspense crap in between, i've got sick of this kind of music on CD's. Anyway, it's a dead horse this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is the film any good? I don't mind a bit of fun pop-corn munching entertainment but I draw the line at mind devouring sap such as AVP:R.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Haunted Summer - Christopher Young

Wow. After all the positive comments I expected to like this a lot. I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Doctor Who: Series 5 - Murray Gold

Solid work by Murray, better than the Season 4 Specials.
    However, as enjoyable as the CD set is, it would have benefitted -in my opinion- from a briefer presentation.
    There's a LOT of good and thematic stuff in there, but it gets lost a bit in the more "filler"-like material, which very clearly finds its basis in what we've heard on previous CDs. And it's a shame, as the new music is fine enough to fill one very good 55 minute (or so) CD.

While the price is eminently reasonable, the sheer abundance of music does wear out its welcome a bit by the second CD.
    I'll be cutting quite a bit from it for a more coherent and enjoyable listen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Left Behind - James Covell

A very rare score. But very good. The main theme is played by full orchestra and chorus in Left Behind Main Titles and The Final Chapter (the latter one with lyrics based in the book of Revelations). And also it's played in the strings, piano and woodwinds in Rayford Comes Home and One Left, The Other Taken.

It has some great action cues like Surprise Attack and Rapture. And the use of electronics in Dirk Is In Trouble, Loss Of A Friend and Seven Years can be a little bit annoying but very good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NAME OF THE ROSE - James Horner

I know many don't like this score but I've always enjoyed it, despite it's anachronistic style it works in both film and on album, very brooding and moody.

Ask me on another day and I'll tell you this film would have been better served had it been scored by John Barry or Georges Delerue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR RABIN - the scorserer's apprentice

A decision i quickly regret.

Trust me, it is A LOT better in the movie, which I liked by the way.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen 10 minutes of it and couldn't handle it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Really? I had zero expectations and ended up having a really good time with it. One of the best Bruckie films of the last years (not that this is saying a lot, but still).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    THE NAME OF THE ROSE is not bad at all.
    I like it. I love "The Discovery" track. One of those early Horner albums I bought as a teenager.

Oh, what's Predators like as a film?
    Saw it the other night. I was disappointed!
    Makes it harder to go back to the CD now!
  2. The Karate Kid - James Horner

This was a pleasant surprise; I thought this score would be a victim to the Avatar hangover. Speaking of Avatar, some of the action music in this like "Backstreet Beating" and "Jacket On, Jacket Off" sounds like a sequel to the "War" music in the former.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    are people seriously asking if predators is a good film ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Is the film any good? I don't mind a bit of fun pop-corn munching entertainment but I draw the line at mind devouring sap such as AVP:R.

YEP! They are! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My small circle of friends have actually recommended the film to me. They said that if I enjoyed the second Predator film (which I did very much) then this new film is just as good! So, yes, people are seriously asking if Predators is a good film. Why does this shock you , D? They aren't asking if it's Academy Award winning material... all they want to know if they are going to have a good time if they invest 2 hours of their time to watch it!

Look, not everyone shares you taste in movies, D, so don't be surprised if someone around here asks for a review of a film that you might not enjoy! I'm sure there are plenty of films that you have watched, AND LOVED, yet a majority of us would like to pull down our pants and take a dump on.

Personally, I'm very much interested in Predators but right now I can only give my limited TV/movie watching to Dexter and now the bloody brilliant The Walking Dead. So, since I might have to skip one of this shows to watch Predators I would like it if more people who have seen it would post their two cents about it here!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    My two cents worth on Predators then. (I know this should be in another thread but ...)

The characters were virtually all unlikeable. So you didn't care what happens to them.
    The dialog was trying too hard to be "bad ass" and was quite average at best.
    The effects were hardly groundbreaking.
    The music was too good for many of the scenes it was written for.
    There were some brief 'good' moments but not enough to keep this ship afloat.
    The ending sucked!!!

That's my thoughts anyway.
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Karate Kid - James Horner

This was a pleasant surprise; I thought this score would be a victim to the Avatar hangover. Speaking of Avatar, some of the action music in this like "Backstreet Beating" and "Jacket On, Jacket Off" sounds like a sequel to the "War" music in the former.

Just to add, I think the last two tracks "Tournament Time" and "Final Contest" prove that no one can score emotional climaxes like Horner can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    My two cents worth on Predators then. (I know this should be in another thread but ...)

The characters were virtually all unlikeable. So you didn't care what happens to them.
    The ending sucked!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You're spoiling it for Erik, he's trying SO hard to pull his pants down and shit on my tastes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't be nasty, D.
    Erik made no untoward remarks anywhere.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i am being a kid here i know but when he specifically picks my comments to rant on i can't contain myself most of the times shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Greek temperament. biggrin
    Love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    Atham wrote

The ending sucked!!!

But is it better than AVP:R?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    NP : AMERICANS - John Barry

Not a soundtrack but it is by John Barry and it's fookin' GREAT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote

The ending sucked!!!

Thank you. I'll keep all of this in mind.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    N.p. EL CID re-recording again, i have no words.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    N.p. EL CID re-recording again, i have no words.

That I can't believe! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
    Nic Raine conducts the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

A total knockout! Brilliant score, brilliant re-recording, and that second disc with forgotten Jarre gems is a fantastic bonus disc! Superb release and by far Tadlow's best work this year.

-Erik-