• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Angela's Ashes - John Williams

It's a nice little score with once again gorgeous vintage Williams themes. But because it doesn't have the variety or grandeur of Seven Years in Tibet it just can't keep my interest for the whole duration. I have the album with the Robert Carlyle dialogue by the way, and it actually works very well mixed with the score from my standpoint. Maybe the reason I never felt the need to go for the dialogue-free version.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    I much prefer the dialogue free version. The dialogue over "Back To America" kills that cue! Leave the dialogue in the film thank you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GO-BETWEEN ( aka LE MESSAGER ) - Michel Legrand

Utterly fabulous music made up of a theme and variations for Harpsicord and orchestra, music that is so memorable, I wanted it from the first ( and only ) time I saw the film, unfortunately an original soundtrack was never released, fortunately, Legrand has recorded it in the form of a suite a few times, this one, replacing piano with harpsicord is my favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I much prefer the dialogue free version. The dialogue over "Back To America" kills that cue! Leave the dialogue in the film thank you!

-Erik-

Luckily this was just a one-time occasion for us Williams fans. But apart from that cue, the speech hardly interferes with the score and I think it enhances the overall mood of the music.

The Varèse album for Westlake's Babe on the other hand... crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
    ...by far Tadlow's best work this year.

WELL, ACTUALLY... never mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

Bought the expanded not too long ago. It has its moments of great fun and themes, but too much of nothing going on in between. Maybe the shorter release was all I ever needed, seeing I'm not a really real die-hard fan of Basil, though I truly enjoy some of the man's work. But the tracks that stand out here, are exactly that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited
    NP: MASADA - Jerry Goldsmith
    Just the main theme on YouTube, and it's still awesome. Since I last heard this right before I went to Ubeda, it's also taking me back to summer (only a few days before a promised snowstorm over here...). Considering the prices this is going for on Ebay, this one is definitely in need of a reprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorSwz8R … tube_gdata
    punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    The Slaves is the track that kills me, so beautiful and incredibly powerful and moving.
  4. The Karate Kid - Horner

I'm enjoying this much more than I thought. I've played "Final Contest" about 4-5 times already. It might be one of his best tracks IMO...
  5. The Life Before Her Eyes - Horner

The most spare score I've heard from him; it reminds me of Thomas Newman's White Oleander, with the heavy mix of synths and piano. Pretty soothing, to be honest.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Karate Kid - Horner

I'm enjoying this much more than I thought. I've played "Final Contest" about 4-5 times already. It might be one of his best tracks IMO...

Yeah. It's an amazing score. If there's a cue which I really love it's "I Want To Go Home - The Forbidden City"- Classic Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MAX RICHTER - Elle.s'appelait.Sarah

Thanks to Alan for making me aware of this little sentimental gem...so beautiful and heartwarming, love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHE BECK - phoebe in wonderland

Majestic, soothing, beautiful little piano / guitar / string led score.
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Karate Kid - Horner

It's a good track but Horner has done so much better in the past, especially finale cues.

And have you listened to The Horsemen Kevin? That IMO is a real return to his former self.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Karate Kid - Horner

It's a good track but Horner has done so much better in the past, especially finale cues.

And have you listened to The Horsemen Kevin? That IMO is a real return to his former self.

The melodic thematic pieces from that karate score are gorgeous.
  8. I would merely say they're nice, but to each his own. wink

King Kong - James Newton Howard

I never gave this score a real chance, and now I can see why. To me, it just doesn't have the emotional drive and enjoyability of the best JNH scores out there. Some good action cues and likeable softer music is enough to warrant a listen (or more in the future). But it's another case of the composer not having had enough time to write a real classic to match the film's themes and epic scope. At least it has some very memorable themes, that always counts for something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP.TRON legacy (DAFT PUNK)

fuc_ing amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I would merely say they're nice, but to each his own. wink

I never gave this score a real chance, and now I can see why. To me, it just doesn't have the emotional drive and enjoyability of the best JNH scores out there. Some good action cues and likeable softer music is enough to warrant a listen (or more in the future). But it's another case of the composer not having had enough time to write a real classic to match the film's themes and epic scope. At least it has some very memorable themes, that always counts for something.

I like it a lot, it even has some John Barry'ish moments. ( it's not as good as Barry's King Kong score though. )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

fuc_ing amazing.

Tell us more...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

fuc_ing amazing.

Tell us more...

It's a mix of Daft punk electronic music (obviously) with much more orchestra than I thought. it contains modern trance elements and techno retro music (from the 80's), even some 80's videogame effects.

Some string composition reminds to philip glass, and the brass fanfarre to the Inception trailer music. it has a theme , an heroic one and it's very touching at places.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Jordi, this sounds like something I'm going to like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

fuc_ing amazing.

Tell us more...

It's a mix of Daft punk electronic music (obviously) with much more orchestra than I thought. it contains modern trance elements and techno retro music (from the 80's), even some 80's videogame effects.

Some string composition reminds to philip glass, and the brass fanfarre to the Inception trailer music. it has a theme , an heroic one and it's very touching at places.

I agree for about 90% with Jordi's review above, although the theme I find rather buried (it IS there though).
    I mostly enjoy the faux-retro, almost 80s feel. It's kind of Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre with a less "clinical" electronic sound.

But although I enjoy it, it's nowhere near "fucking amazing".
    I'd just say "rather enjoyable".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    I would merely say they're nice, but to each his own. wink

When you're in the mood, just play the BEAUTY KILLED THE BEAST variations, the last 4 pieces on the disc. Then we'll talk about emotional drive again wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Ryomaden Volume 1 - Naoki Sato

Apparently this is the soundtrack to a Japanese historic drama series about 19th century Japan.
    It's a very good mix between electronic and orchestral work, with a rather mordern sound.
    Some very good guitar work, some lovely introspective piano cues, thunderous action cues. Overall a very pleasant and surprising listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    When you're in the mood, just play the BEAUTY KILLED THE BEAST variations, the last 4 pieces on the disc. Then we'll talk about emotional drive again wink beer

Somehow I doubt it, mate, but we'll see (hear) on my next listen.

Talking about emotional music... this is Horner at his most beautiful! I shit you not!!!

The Land Before Time - James Horner

Breathtakingly stunning with themes that melt my heart every time. My favourite animated film score by the man. Now this has one hell of a finale!!!!! love

If Willow had a little sister this would definitely be it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

fuc_ing amazing.

Tell us more...

I agree for about 90% with Jordi's review above, although the theme I find rather buried (it IS there though).
    I mostly enjoy the faux-retro, almost 80s feel. It's kind of Vangelis, Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre with a less "clinical" electronic sound.

But although I enjoy it, it's nowhere near "fucking amazing".
    I'd just say "rather enjoyable".

Sometimes it is what Inception score had to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's ridiculous. Inception is one of the best scores he's written (have you seen the movie?) and one of the best releases of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Sometimes it is what Inception score had to be.

confused

I'm not sure I understand.
    The premise, content or format of Inception has nothing to do with Tron: Legacy.
    Both scores just happen to be electronics based, but is that enough reason for sucha comparison?
    To me right now it seems a comparison in the vein of like David Arnold's Godzilla is how John Williams' Memoirs Of A Geisha should have sounded... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's ridiculous. Inception is one of the best scores he's written (have you seen the movie?) and one of the best releases of the year.

I haven't seen the movie, but the album is utterly unpalatable to me.
    Droning noisy soundscapes (that, I hasten to add, may well work perfectly supporting the film).